DVDVR Message Board

Ric Flair’s Last Match Post Show Discussion

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

HOLY SHIT! I WAS THERE! The Soup Dragons ruled.  So did the Ocean Blue.  They Might Be Giants did Frankenstein by the Edgar Winter Group.

NICE.  My only memories were of being really far from the stage and Catherine Wheel doing Black Metallic; something about the tempo of the song and how hot it was just made the song feel like it was going on FOREVER.

Much like an AEW thread last month turned into a rumination on cheesesteaks, only on DVDVR can a thread about Ric Flair's last match become a discussion of late 80s/early 90s pre-grunge alternative. 

I have an Apple Music playlist that I made solely by Googling WHFS playlists from that era and it's beautiful.

@JLowementioned George Clinton...I remember seeing P-Funk at HAMMERJACK'S in Baltimore (the old one, which was razed to build the Ravens' stadium) in maybe 95.  It was a hilarious show because it was so long and nobody felt any obligation to stay and the vibe was go ahead and check out when your P-Funk meter was filled.  My friends and I were there for maybe 2-3 hours and dipped out like, "yep, we've had our fill of George & the All Stars, we're good, thanks everybody byeeeeee."

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

NICE.  My only memories were of being really far from the stage and Catherine Wheel doing Black Metallic; something about the tempo of the song and how hot it was just made the song feel like it was going on FOREVER.

Much like an AEW thread last month turned into a rumination on cheesesteaks, only on DVDVR can a thread about Ric Flair's last match become a discussion of late 80s/early 90s pre-grunge alternative. 

I have an Apple Music playlist that I made solely by Googling WHFS playlists from that era and it's beautiful.

@JLowementioned George Clinton...I remember seeing P-Funk at HAMMERJACK'S in Baltimore (the old one, which was razed to build the Ravens' stadium) in maybe 95.  It was a hilarious show because it was so long and nobody felt any obligation to stay and the vibe was go ahead and check out when your P-Funk meter was filled.  My friends and I were there for maybe 2-3 hours and dipped out like, "yep, we've had our fill of George & the All Stars, we're good, thanks everybody byeeeeee."

I interviewed Clinton for the Daily Texan in advance of the show in Dallas (we had to earn our free press wristband and extra free ticket somehow) and while he was a trip, he also mentioned that he had taught his white 60-something chauffeur to rap for part of his show, so I went in with extremely low expectations and was therefore not disappointed.

I was a college radio DJ from November '89 until May '93 (plus a short stint at 4 am in Austin in '94) so I knew about all the mainstream alternative bands and even some underground hip-hop but, because of being in BFE Pennsyltucky, very little truly underground punk/alternative. We were excited that we could get Sub Pop and Epitaph to send us stuff to play, and for some reason Shimmy Disc sent us stuff, but that was about it.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Had to look up who else was on the show with beck. The ones I remembered were Matthew Sweet and Luscious Jackson. 

Didn’t a member of Weston used to post here, after they broke up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I was at Lolla '94, which had Smashing Pumpkins as headliners, plus George Clinton, Nick Cave, Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, Breeders, and Green Day (the tour was split with half dates Rage ATM, half Green Day). Side stage acts I saw included Shonen Knife, Stereolab, and Shudder to Think.

Other '90s content was seeing the Spin Doctors/Soul Asylum/Screaming Trees tour in '93, I think that was MTV Alternative Nation. Never saw one of those radio station fests, closest was some summer party at Case Western headlined by The Didjits, who I didn't like.

I never got to go to any of those early Lollapalooza festivals, but always enjoy hearing ppl discuss the fun they had. That 94 show also had Pharcyde, Guided By Voices, Palace Songs, the Boredoms and the terribly underrated and short lived Rollerskate Skinny. By the time I was fully able to choose to go Lollapalooza was over. I remember around that time seeing all these festival ads in British magazines and thinking how cool they'd be to go to. I was also hoping that the summer festival format would reach similar heights in Canada one day. Then festivals became the norm and I realized how uncomfortable they almost always are. The lack of space. All the ppl who don't give a fuck about anything but the one band they came to see, and are more than happy to make that known. I mean the average festival not the ongoing tiny well curated ones. Still, I wouldn't say no to setting the destination to a Lolla in '94 if I ever get my hands on a time machine. I'd prefer the Rage line-up, but Green Day was a fun band too in 1994. 

I'm very envious of your golden age college radio gig. Pre-internet those station catalogues were like a trip to heaven. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I never got to go to any of those early Lollapalooza festivals, but always enjoy hearing ppl discuss the fun they had. That 94 show also had Pharcyde, Guided By Voices, Palace Songs, the Boredoms and the terribly underrated and short lived Rollerskate Skinny. By the time I was fully able to choose to go Lollapalooza was over. I remember around that time seeing all these festival ads in British magazines and thinking how cool they'd be to go to. I was also hoping that the summer festival format would reach similar heights in Canada one day. Then festivals became the norm and I realized how uncomfortable they almost always are. The lack of space. All the ppl who don't give a fuck about anything but the one band they came to see, and are more than happy to make that known. I mean the average festival not the ongoing tiny well curated ones. Still, I wouldn't say no to setting the destination to a Lolla in '94 if I ever get my hands on a time machine. I'd prefer the Rage line-up, but Green Day was a fun band too in 1994. 

I'm very envious of your golden age college radio gig. Pre-internet those station catalogues were like a trip to heaven. 

I always wanted to go to one of the Summersault fests that Our Lady Peace ran. I know they had Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins and some other bands.   I did get to Edgefest 2001 with Jimmy Eat World before they were huge,  Sum 41 before they were huge, Cold,  Our Lady Peace, and a few other bands. I still have the shirt.  Sadly some asshole tried crowdsurfing and fell and they had to cut the set short due to it.   

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Had to look up who else was on the show with beck. The ones I remembered were Matthew Sweet and Luscious Jackson. 

That looks like the random line-up of the CD you'd get with every issue of CMJ New Music Monthly.

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Holy shot, the Boredoms played Lollapalooza? Wild.

I saw P-Funk Allstars for FREE yes FREE at an outdoor show downtown one year. As we walked up they were knee deep in "Maggot Brain". There were older folks line dancing and everything, it was AWESOME.

The Boredoms played Richmond once.  They opened for Sonic Youth at Brown's Island.  I didn't go for some reason.

EDIT:  Of course, the internet has a listing of this.  It was October 11, 1992.  And Superchunk was on it too.  I think I was living in Norfolk in 1992 so that was my excuse.  

• Like 2

Two main shows I regret missing were the Replacements on the Let It Be tour and the Minutemen on the Double Nickels On the Dime tour.  They were within a week of each other in Richmond, but I had to decide on two of the four big shows in that two week period.  I opted to see Husker Du on the New Day Rising tour, which was the best show I've ever seen.  They played everything from Zen Arcade and New Day Rising.  And I went to see the Meat Puppets on the Up On The Sun tour.  That was good.  I'm guessing the Replacements in 1985 would have been better.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It seemingly gets on forever… because it’s Black Metallic.  It’s just what that song does.  Even those who love the song gleefully admit it.  

Edited by Brandon Bones
I love Black Metallic
  • Like 2

My biggest regret (behind never seeing Motorhead or Dio) is missing Impetigo's reunion/last ever show at the Central Illinois Metalfest when I EVEN HAD MY FRIEND'S WRISTBAND TAPED ON MY WRIST AND WOULD GET IN FREE. And Mortician was there, too.

Facebook is terrible for this because there'll be a memory of you pimping shows that you inevitably didn't go to and you'll just slap your forehead. 

Oh! My band also ended up cancelling a show we booked in town for MDC. The venue (a barn technically outside of town, actually) closed and we were fucked. Their tour poster had a big blank spot at the bottom for writing dates and venue names and there I wrote "Not All Good Things Come To Pass". 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Pedro said:

I always wanted to go to one of the Summersault fests that Our Lady Peace ran. I know they had Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins and some other bands.   I did get to Edgefest 2001 with Jimmy Eat World before they were huge,  Sum 41 before they were huge, Cold,  Our Lady Peace, and a few other bands. I still have the shirt.  Sadly some asshole tried crowdsurfing and fell and they had to cut the set short due to it.   

If time machine capabilities are ever on offer I’d love to give you my ticket to a Summersault in London. I went at the last minute because friends were going, and boozing on a bus, but it was full of regretful moments. And a line-up that included every force fed cancon band you could imagine (minus the Barenaked Ladies). The Cody Rhodes favourite Our Lady Peace, age of the electric, the goddamn tea party, I Mother Earth. Just awful. Note to the non-Canadians: here in Canada radio is regulated to include 40% Canadian acts. There’s plenty of good Canadian bands, but the ones on the radio are certainly not amongst them. Canadian popular music is third or fourth tier whatever is popping the charts in the US. We suffered a lot of bands at the Nickelback level well before you heard their name. Our healthcare is good, our radio is abysmal.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, (BP) said:

I’m losing my mind that the venue has changed names so often that I didn’t even realize that’s what it was originally called. I haven’t been there since it was the Tweeter Center, but I can’t get attached to names because they change it every 6-7 years. 

I was gonna say BB&T Center, but apparently it's changed again to Freedom Mortgage Center since I was last there to see Moz in September 2019...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

If time machine capabilities are ever on offer I’d love to give you my ticket to a Summersault in London. I went at the last minute because friends were going, and boozing on a bus, but it was full of regretful moments. And a line-up that included every force fed cancon band you could imagine (minus the Barenaked Ladies). The Cody Rhodes favourite Our Lady Peace, age of the electric, the goddamn tea party, I Mother Earth. Just awful. Note to the non-Canadians: here in Canada radio is regulated to include 40% Canadian acts. There’s plenty of good Canadian bands, but the ones on the radio are certainly not amongst them. Canadian popular music is third or fourth tier whatever is popping the charts in the US. We suffered a lot of bands at the Nickelback level well before you heard their name. Our healthcare is good, our radio is abysmal.

Thank goodness that Canadian mainstream music talent is far better these days....and these days more of often than not you will see a Canadian at or near the top of the US charts (Drake, Weeknd, Bieber, etc)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Thank goodness that Canadian mainstream music talent is far better these days....and these days more of often than not you will see a Canadian at or near the top of the US charts (Drake, Weeknd, Bieber, etc)

Well, I kinda excluded comments pertaining to the top of the charts there, but in yesteryear we had a man sporting denim from head to toe named Bryan that was no stranger to the top. In that same era of dogshit 'alternative rock' 'post-grunge' bands we did have the colossal chartopper trio of Celine, Shania and Alanis. I won't begrudge your name entries, but it's definitely a 'to each their own'. Well, okay, sure, the Weeknd has his moments and he certainly started strong. Also know I wasn't asking for American tears, the list of terrorizing pop stars the U.S. has endured and exported for the rest of us to endure is never-ending. Also, no nationalist here, but the true north strong and free did provide Neil, Leonard, Joni, Buffy, Eric's Trip/Elevator to Hell, Mac, Tonetta, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet, fucking Glenn Gould, Oscar, early Sloan, etc. etc. etc. We also gave your Jackie Shane the platform to be discovered 25 or so years later. The way our nations combined for the Native North America compilation tells me we are capable of so much!  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Hey man. Next you're going to say something bad about Kim Mitchell, and I won't stand for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kafkonia said:

Hey man. Next you're going to say something bad about Kim Mitchell, and I won't stand for it.

Confession time: I'm American, and I only found out about him from a throwaway Ricky line on Trailer Park Boys: "You guys crank up the Mitchell, I'm gonna rock a piss." Got curious and Googled it, and from there, I ended up going down the rabbit hole starting with Go For A Soda

Edit: Great shout @Curt McGirt with Voivod - Annihilator is another one from up there that's killer

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Canada gave us Voivod

Your country will always rule

NOMEANSNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite band in high school.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Well, I kinda excluded comments pertaining to the top of the charts there, but in yesteryear we had a man sporting denim from head to toe named Bryan that was no stranger to the top. In that same era of dogshit 'alternative rock' 'post-grunge' bands we did have the colossal chartopper trio of Celine, Shania and Alanis. I won't begrudge your name entries, but it's definitely a 'to each their own'. Well, okay, sure, the Weeknd has his moments and he certainly started strong. Also know I wasn't asking for American tears, the list of terrorizing pop stars the U.S. has endured and exported for the rest of us to endure is never-ending. Also, no nationalist here, but the true north strong and free did provide Neil, Leonard, Joni, Buffy, Eric's Trip/Elevator to Hell, Mac, Tonetta, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet, fucking Glenn Gould, Oscar, early Sloan, etc. etc. etc. We also gave your Jackie Shane the platform to be discovered 25 or so years later. The way our nations combined for the Native North America compilation tells me we are capable of so much!  

You left out some good ones such as Tragically Hip!! RIP Gord,  Matt Good, and the Headstones

Early Sloan was great!! Met Chris Murphy a few times. Nice guy. 

• Like 1

Canada had Pointed Sticks, kind of their version of the Buzzcocks. In the 90s, you had awesome garage/punk/indie bands like Smugglers, cub, Bum, Chixdiggit, and then there’s the living legend Nardwuar.

• Like 1