DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2022

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Hook’s over as hell and he’s been feuding with wrestlers from Dark for months. Wardlow will be okay. This isn’t like whenever someone turned on the Miz to a monster pop and then were worthless within a few months. 

Hooks manner of push is actually some of their best work. He looks very strong against low card talent, has had some meaningful-vignette appearances to build character lower down the card, has allusions of being strong against mid/upper card but to be determined, everyone is accessory-to-him as opposed to the other way round. Wardlow .. really, was an accessory to let MJF speak. He had some good feats of brawn, but unless they have a definable narrative direction for him that will fade in time, and they can’t keep him as strong as he was against MJF against all of the other talent on the card.

2 hours ago, A_K said:

Hooks manner of push is actually some of their best work. He looks very strong against low card talent, has had some meaningful-vignette appearances to build character lower down the card, has allusions of being strong against mid/upper card but to be determined, everyone is accessory-to-him as opposed to the other way round. Wardlow .. really, was an accessory to let MJF speak. He had some good feats of brawn, but unless they have a definable narrative direction for him that will fade in time, and they can’t keep him as strong as he was against MJF against all of the other talent on the card.

This is why I really like the HookHausen pairing. gives him something to do until he gets his big push up the card

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Y'all, could we maybe have more than one week's worth of shows before we write off Wardlow as a failure?

I get that some expect instant gratification from our payoffs to a two year storyline but like... it's been a week's worth of shows.

Maybe wait six months before you decide he's Virgil mark 2.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Somebody else proposing at your wedding and/or one of the bridesmaids showing up in a wedding gown.

A wedding is a relationship test for all the attendees,  I've seen a couple of instances of people going to someone else's wedding and realizing that their relationship has no chance of ever making it to this stage. Some other couples look and realize that they want to spend the rest of their lives together.  Wrestling is kind of like that,  you and your opponent go into a huge feud and sometimes both people are better off. Sometimes the winner is better off. Sometimes the loser is better off. Sometimes both people are worse off. You don't really know what really happens until the night is over and you look at your partner and decide whether or not you think you can love that person. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Y'all, could we maybe have more than one week's worth of shows before we write off Wardlow as a failure?

I get that some expect instant gratification from our payoffs to a two year storyline but like... it's been a week's worth of shows.

Maybe wait six months before you decide he's Virgil mark 2.

Nope.

Wardlow? More like Dumblow.

I was thinking whether AEW would do a no rope barbed wire death match again with the sprinkler system after Kenny Omega vs. Jon Moxley. I have a feeling AEW would want to write that wrong, but who would want to? I came up with Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho today as the blowoff bout.

• Like 1

Nah, fuck that. I'm going to keep saying it - give me Homicide doing a cameo helping out Eddie and pouring Drano down Jericho's throat. And then give me Dragon bowing out of Blood and Guts only for Cide or Gage to make the save. With tons of light tubes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'd rather they do a Double Hell BW match with bombs on the floor.

If I thought they could pull off a fire death match, that's the way to go. PR style, like Colon vs Ayala.

• Like 2

Could a Rosa/Jade double title switch work?

I base this on:

- Jade having her undefeated streak broken by a new WWE signing is going to look bad (even if its Sasha). 

- Jade's title run already overshadows Rosa's.

Rosa beating Jade on Dynamite to win the TBS title. Gets goaded into a rematch on Rampage or the week after, and gets destroyed in a minute for the Women's Title but retains the TBS title. Gets the undefeated streak out of the way - puts Rosa over as the first to beat her, and gives them fuel for a rematch down the road as they did with Britt. 

Rosa as the title holder who does the heap of fun 5-10 minute sprints on Rampage every week probably works better, as does Jade as the dominant champion who wrestles as a novelty/big match attraction. 

• Like 2

I really like that idea.

Here's where you run into an issue, that is a full on demotion for Rosa. You aren't going to get her to go along with that. Sure saying we'll use you more with the TBS Title because that is more like the workhorse title seems like a good carrot to dangle. But it's an instant 'we made a mistake' vibe sent to her. It's all a work, but the personal pride and professional egos involved in decisions like that are why you don't ever see them.

Has a similar switch ever happened? World Champ takes mid card champs' title, only for mid card champ to then take World Title shortly there after?

16 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

WBD and somewhat AEW related

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2022/06/update-on-warner-brothers-discoverys-plans-for-sports-streaming/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/09/business/media/warner-bros-discovery-luis-silberwasser.html

Someone said AEW has been moved from the drama group to the sports group, I haven't checked yet if that's true.

No offense to a former DVDVR poster who I enjoyed many convos with back in the day, but Ross could not be reaching any harder for this story if he tried. That NYT article is specifically focused on DiscoveryWarner’s dealings with the NBA. I’m not really sure why anyone would expect them to be throwing in references to AEW. Also, there are no direct quotes from DW in this article, so it’s equally unclear what we’re supposed to be using to divine DW’s mindset as it pertains to AEW.

Just another case of people looking for something to worry about. Which we are all prone to do, from time to time.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 7:47 PM, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Has a similar switch ever happened? World Champ takes mid card champs' title, only for mid card champ to then take World Title shortly there after?

The closest thing I can think of is how Road Dogg and Billy Gunn traded around the hardcore and IC titles leading into WM2000 but that was more like just a jumble of midcard guys swapping titles with nobody in particular getting any rub. 

• Like 1