DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2022

matt925

SRS is saying that Tony Khan and MJF had minor heat over MJF's interview with Ariel Helwani - not because of the content of it, but because he didn't go through AEW PR or whatever to set it up. That's been resolved now and wasn't a huge deal to begin with, but apparently there is a bigger issue at play. Supposedly, MJF is frustrated about his contract and wants more money, but AEW isn't budging on offering more money/the amount MJF wants. The idea is that people have come in after MJF - and not even necessarily people like Danielson or Punk, but (example) someone like Swerve Strickland - and they make more money since MJF signed at the beginning so is probably making less than he (realistically) should be.

It sounds like MJF has the same problem with his contract that Cody did, just minus the creative stuff. People have come in after him, and they make more, while MJF is featured at the top of the card and makes that original 2019 AEW money where he wasn't THAT big of a deal all things considered. What's shocking to me is the report from Sapp that AEW isn't going to budge on this.

If you haven't seen his interview with Helwani, it's entirely in kayfabe and continuing the pro-WWE thing where he praises NXT 2.0 and Bruce Prichard, stuff like that, and it's so obviously dripping in sarcasm but told completely straight-faced. He mentions in that interview that he wouldn't sign an extension because he wants to be a free agent and play AEW and WWE against each other to get more money - if Sapp is to be believed, he'd sign an extension right now if it was for more money.

EDIT: Oh, and:

• Heavy interest in signing Toni Storm, with several people backstage pushing for it.
  • A few talks about Athena but doesn't seem to be any plans right now for that to happen
Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

I'd be genuinely surprised. MJF has been positioned both on and off television as part of the future of the company, and everyone and their brother knows his character would be neutered and scripted to death at WWE. On the other hand, money is money, and he could always come back down the line or pop up elsewhere as a bigger heel for having taken it

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I was so inspired by this that I did a quick edit putting the theme in Scarface.

They work nicely together.  FTRs theme is actually liberally inspired by a song from another soundtrack - Midnight Express...  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Now do one with the Gunn Club theme!

I realized last week that iTunes doesn't have the original version of Push It To The Limit, which sucks because I can't create my "Various Songs from GTA Games" playlist.

Using the Windows Movie Editor plus finding a one hour loop of the song made this a breeze copyright claim on Youtube be damned.  And while I like FTR's theme a bit better Gunn Club's works much better for this.  Enjoy!

And for the mod's sake I'll likely quit while I'm ahead.  But I definitely encourage others to have at it.  If my lazy ass can get these done then surely it can't be that hard, right?

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

AEW has officially told Marko Stunt that they will not be renewing his contract, according to a report.

Fightful reports that Stunt was informed by AEW executive vice president of talent relations Christopher Daniels in a phone call last week that the company would not be renewing his contract when it expires, reportedly in May. 

The report says that Daniels cited "budget cuts" and AEW's large roster size as reasons that the company would not be renewing Stunt's deal. Stunt was also reportedly told that plans had changed for Jurassic Express, the trio that he, Jungle Boy, and Luchasaurus had comprised. 

Stunt reportedly contacted AEW and asked to be booked in order to earn a chance to have his deal renewed, but was not offered that chance. Rather, the report states, Stunt's AEW booking stopped without any reason or explanation being given prior to the call from Daniels. 

Also outlined in the report is a concussion that Stunt suffered in October, which would not have taken place in AEW, as the only match Stunt wrestled that month was in GCW, according to Cagematch. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The report says that Daniels cited "budget cuts" and AEW's large roster size as reasons that the company would not be renewing Stunt's deal.

GlossyLimpingHackee-size_restricted.gif

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
15 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Yeah wish they they didn't use that phrase. Even if they do have a talent budget and they're over that limit, that phrase is just toxic right now because of WWE's use of it. These are people, not just 1s and 0s on an excel spreadsheet.

At the same time, they're letting him finish out his contract and giving him notice that they're not renewing him so he can prepare, which is better than just straight out ending his contract and giving him a 90 day severance payout when he had more than that remaining on said contract.

I will say that we don't know what was actually said, just what was reported. It's a tricky thing, having to let someone go while also giving them an explanation as to why. If they said it was a larger roster now and Marko's skills weren't enough to justify a renewed contract, that comes off way harsher than just saying "we have a larger roster", doesn't it? "Hey, we brought in more talent that's better than you, so we're letting you go". "You're no longer a fit for the way we see the roster going?" Well why? The murky "budget cuts" reason? Well, their budget in the Marko Stunt department for FY2023 could be $0 as compared to [insert his salary here]. It would be a valid reason. It'd also be a shitty thing to say.

So what really do you tell him? A generic "we're letting you go at this time" with no reason and have him wonder why? Everything I mentioned earlier, and hurt his feelings? It's one of those things that sucks, and yeah, you don't want to see someone lose their job, but what's the other option if you've already made the decision he's not getting a new contract?

Edited by Stefanie the Human

Marko proved me wrong. I thought combining him with A Boy and His Dinosaur wouldn’t work because Jungle Boy should be the small guy in a group. The moment he ran under them tall Dino legs I knew it was the right call. They ended up being a very entertaining group. He was great at getting Brodie Lee and Lance Archer over as monsters and seemed like a funny person.
I look forward to what adventures his character gets into next. Hopefully an exciting underdog Indy run.

• Like 2

Before Brodie Lee got ill, he was saying that he thought it was getting to be the time he returned the job Marko did for him (in Brodie's debut).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Before Brodie Lee got ill, he was saying that he thought it was getting to be the time he returned the job Marko did for him (in Brodie's debut).

Marko had at least two incredible squash losses - against Brodie and Archer.  I think there was a missed opportunity not breaking him away from the Jurassix and letting him get killed more frequently on the You'Choob.  

He did get sent into orbit by Wardlow that one time. Might have been one of his final AEW matches, come to think of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

He did get sent into orbit by Wardlow that one time. Might have been one of his final AEW matches, come to think of it.

Just checked Cage Match in fact his last AEW Match is teaming with Fuego against Spears & Wardlow on Elevation at the end of Sept. 

On 3/29/2022 at 7:56 PM, Casey said:

SRS is saying that Tony Khan and MJF had minor heat over MJF's interview with Ariel Helwani - not because of the content of it, but because he didn't go through AEW PR or whatever to set it up. That's been resolved now and wasn't a huge deal to begin with, but apparently there is a bigger issue at play. Supposedly, MJF is frustrated about his contract and wants more money, but AEW isn't budging on offering more money/the amount MJF wants. The idea is that people have come in after MJF - and not even necessarily people like Danielson or Punk, but (example) someone like Swerve Strickland - and they make more money since MJF signed at the beginning so is probably making less than he (realistically) should be.

It sounds like MJF has the same problem with his contract that Cody did, just minus the creative stuff. People have come in after him, and they make more, while MJF is featured at the top of the card and makes that original 2019 AEW money where he wasn't THAT big of a deal all things considered. What's shocking to me is the report from Sapp that AEW isn't going to budge on this.

If you haven't seen his interview with Helwani, it's entirely in kayfabe and continuing the pro-WWE thing where he praises NXT 2.0 and Bruce Prichard, stuff like that, and it's so obviously dripping in sarcasm but told completely straight-faced. He mentions in that interview that he wouldn't sign an extension because he wants to be a free agent and play AEW and WWE against each other to get more money - if Sapp is to be believed, he'd sign an extension right now if it was for more money.

EDIT: Oh, and:

• Heavy interest in signing Toni Storm, with several people backstage pushing for it.
  • A few talks about Athena but doesn't seem to be any plans right now for that to happen

The whole thing just screams a work to me. As was mentioned, the interview with Helwani(and let;s just be honest, everything we seem of MJF)is in kayfabe. He always mentions how he wants more money and knows he can get it. Since we never see the "real" MJF, why not leak a story or two that he "really" wants more money and is pissed he's not getting it.Yes this brings up the question of why work fans in the first place, but it's 445 a.m. as I'm typing this, so clearly they can get people talking. Mission accomplished?

3 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Just checked Cage Match in fact his last AEW Match is teaming with Fuego against Spears & Wardlow on Elevation at the end of Sept. 

Ironic, because Fuego basically took Marko's role in the company as tiny sympathetic babyface. And they can't turn him heel, because Serpentico is doing the tiny sympathetic heel better than Marko ever could.

• Like 2

There are a lot of options for tiny sympathetic babyface better than Marko that are avaliable and on the market.

Marko also has the issues of drawing heel heat with his gimmick, which is very bad for a sympathetic jobber.

There's a lot of folks who aren't really prospects, and aren't providing a lot of value.   With AEW fulfilling their end of the contracts, what else are they supposed to do?  I'd rather see new talent on the indies get a chance to prove something.

• Like 2