DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/9/22

My girlfriend's been asking me for the last, well, 90 days or so, when Keith Lee's going to turn up in AEW. Looking forward to hearing from her when she gets a chance to watch Dynamite later.

Great show. One thing though, why the fuck is Sammy still carrying around the interim TNT title?! It was bad enough that they muddied up the lineage for the sake of a one week Cody absence, but Sammy won the actual belt, why does he need the 'IOU one title match' token now? Is he a magpie, does he just want to accumulate shiny things for their own sake? Does he explain this in his vlog? I will not watch it, so an explanation would be much appreciated. Absolutely maddening.

• Like 5

So over in the "Best AEW Matches Ever" thread, someone mentioned that while we all laud Omega, Danielson, etc, etc, Hangman is usually in at least 5-7 matches in everyone's top 10.  He consistently the best thing on every show and while i wouldn't mind him not bleeding in a defense, im not mad about it.  That dude is on an absolute roll, and i hope he doesn't lose the belt anytime soon, it's just getting started.

• Like 7

I haven't seen much of A.Q.A but she has star presence. I was surprised WWE cut her because she felt like someone that would have really gotten over it NXT. I hope they really push her in AEW because they need someone like her. They've been pushing women that aren't ready yet over women that's way more Seasoned and I get it. That said Jade looked like she's coming along but I want to see A.Q.A back and it seems Khan was excited about booking her vs Jade so I hope that means more of her.

• Like 1

I was huge into New Japan before the pandemic hit in January 2020. I canceled my subscription to NJ World when the Shutdown happened but I was a huge Jay White mark at the time so I'm glad to see him in AEW. They have flirted with New Japan talent before with bringing in KENTA but they didn't follow up so I hope this goes somewhere. I wasn't watching New Japan when White first joined Bullet Club but knowing how AEW is with backstorys I'm sure we'll see Omega and Jay White build to something.

Keith Lee is a Star, you don't need an over elaborate entrance. Everything WWE does is an overproduction in a conscious effort to come across larger than life instead of allowing the wrestler to be larger than life on their own. A novel concept,  He makes his entrance, Runs through his opponent and leaves. WWE over complicates things and they'll regret not using Keith Lee because I'm sure Brock Lesnar and Roman would have loved to have had him as another potential opponent like they both seemed to have a few years back.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Jay White’s Blade Runner is worlds better than Bray Wyatt’s Sister Abigail

Kazarian's Wave of the Future was even better when he started securing a standing arm triangle before draping the leg and pulling his victim face forward.  He only used the one arm pull version as a flash finish.

A very impressive show overall.  Keith Lee has to be put in a program with Adam Cole to really wring the goodness out of this signing.  Page must be Pounced into the crowd again at a major PPV, or I call bullshit.

Switchblade Jay White is in da house and the GoD is working a program in Impact.  I am all for Chris Bey, Hikule'o, and GoD dropping by Jacksonville to help Jay White beat down some people while the Elite is taking their break now that O'Reilly is out on paternity leave and Omega is resting his injuries.

Hell, bring in Jeff Cobb and Bad Luck Fale to work singles with Keith Lee if we're kicking open the Forbidden Door.  WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS~!

Sign AQA, dammit.

I thought I would hate this Lance Archer / Adam Page feud.  I do not.  That match was fucking metal.  Adam Page wrestles like a man that expects to be in a wheelchair when he turns sixty and Lance Archer is perfectly willing to perform dangerous and sloppy spots at Page's expense to live up to the nickname, The mother fucking Murdehawk Monster.  My God, look at all of the blood.

What a magical and glorious time to be a fan of the pro wrestling.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I think the feedback on Hangman's early defenses and the Archer/Kane comp are interesting. Hangman's run feels different in that there isn't that obvious program for the title going into it. It was always going to be Jericho->Mox, Mox->Omega, Omega->Hangman. Those were multi-month/year storylines and it's similar to how Baker/Rosa is clearly the end game for the women's title.

I'm not really down with how Adam Cole got this spot. It doesn't feel organic, as much as it feels like "well the internet says Adam Cole is the next challenger". Hangman really needs an organic nemesis, and I don't know who that is until Omega comes back. I get that the answer is sort of the Bucks and Cole is with the Bucks, but it doesn't work for me. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 3

Good on AEW for turning me around on what I felt was a cold program for Hangman/Archer.  That was great.  

AQA seems like she has something.  Sign her.  

Still on the fence with Jade. For all her great presentation.  She still comes across like an immobile Warlord hoss in ring.  I’m not saying this won’t improve.  But I wouldn’t have put a belt on her until she did.  

I can see this Deeb geek challenge going somewhere.  I agree with the previous poster that said this will take a few weeks to get it over.

As a huge Tully mark.  It thrills me every time I see him on tv being a prick.  He is apparently a lot heavier than he looks.  Lol.  But yeah.  Good match.  Mox as the reveal was great.

Watching Keith Lee go full Rancor monster with him just yeeting Cassidy across town.  Chefs kiss.  Then catching Quen like a toddler was greatness.  

Good crowd too.

I love you AEW.  AEW loves me too.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

Still on the fence with Jade. For all her great presentation.  She still comes across like an immobile Warlord hoss in ring.

Warlord could do a nip up?

Anyway:

FLPNDA-X0AAz1gV?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 2
  • Haha 18

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

You know what killed my suspension of disbelief? That Sammy could write all of those signs between the Keith Lee match and the commercial break. No way.

He could have just added the "And now Keith Lee" one at the last minute.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AxB said:

Warlord could do a nip up?

Anyway:

FLPNDA-X0AAz1gV?format=jpg&name=small

I was referencing that for a larger than the rest of the roster character that Jade is.  She doesn’t seem to have her feet beneath her enough in ring to really pull off the matches.  

Warlord couldn’t do a nip up?  Who am I to doubt the Warlord?

11 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

He could have just added the "And now Keith Lee" one at the last minute.

Cards would just fly everywhere. Everywhere.

On a more serious note, I thought the Keith Lee debut was extremely well done.

I saw people complain that it wasn't the "Old" Keith Lee. Or that Kassidy was the one who made him look good. I think both notions are pretty off. Kassidy had two just all time great bumps in there, plus had to hit the timing on the rope running and dives and eat the slingshot press, but Lee brought the confidence, the knowledge of exactly how much to give/sell in any moment, and the credible presence. It felt like a hybrid Keith Lee to me, where he took the best parts of the big man box that WWE had tried to stick him in but still let everyone know that he could take it to another level any time he wanted to. You don't want him to go all out on his first appearance because you don't want him to have to go all out against Kassidy. You don't do a ton of high spots just because you can when you're a guy like Keith Lee. You keep stuff in your pocket for when it'll matter more and you have the announcers put over the couple of super athletic things that he did do, which they absolutely did.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Few additional things I wanted to mention...

First, I think that Blackout onto the steps was one of the most dangerous spots I've ever seen. I'd really like it if TK would have some kind of edict in place that champions or top guys not nearly kill themselves during spots on non-PPV shows. 

I saw other people mention it, but that guy front in center on the TV side continues a trend where someone in that same fucking spot is a total dumbass with their signs. I don't care if someone brings signs to a show, but keep it to one or two, show it when it makes sense, and then watch the damn show instead of trying to get yourself over. I know AEW doesn't want to overly police fans, especially ones in the front row, but that same exact spot in the front row has been problematic for what seems like every AEW show.

Finally, Keith Lee...I thought his debut was awesome, but I'm not going to lie, he himself looked not super great? I swear it looks like he put on 50 more lbs. and at times he looked like he was hanging in there. He's in this late 30s now and it would do him some good to bring his weight back down to what it was before. And this isn't a "I don't like fat wrestlers" thing because I'm fans of plenty of big wrestlers, but it's more of a "I want to see you be healthy and stick around for a long time" type of thing.

• Like 8

That stair Blackout was definitely incredibly dangerous, so many ways it could have gone wrong. It looked awesome, but I popped out of relief that Hangman was alive and seemed to retain full motor control of all his limbs more than excitement for the move itself.

• Like 2

One last thing, there is something that is fucking hilarious about Andrade continually referring to Darby as like this child worker for Sting. It's something I would have expected from Rodney Dangerfield back in the 80s. I'm down for whatever feud Andrade, Darby, and Sammy are going to have, but Andrade thinking Darby is this little boy and Sting is his boss just cracks me up. Now I want Andrade to comment on someone's hat by saying you probably get a free bowl of soup with a hat like that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I think the feedback on Hangman's early defenses and the Archer/Kane comp are interesting. Hangman's run feels different in that there isn't that obvious program for the title going into it. It was always going to be Jericho->Mox, Mox->Omega, Omega->Hangman. Those were multi-month/year storylines and it's similar to how Baker/Rosa is clearly the end game for the women's title.

I'm not really down with how Adam Cole got this spot. It doesn't feel organic, as much as it feels like "well the internet says Adam Cole is the next challenger". Hangman really needs an organic nemesis, and I don't know who that is until Omega comes back. I get that the answer is sort of the Bucks and Cole is with the Bucks, but it doesn't work for me. 

Bryan Danielson beats Adam Page for the AEW World Championship. I hoped Danielson was going to defeat Adam Page for it in their two matches. I think he should have but that's probably a minority viewpoint. I still want it to be Bryan. I'll be royally pissed if Adam Cole does.

Just now, Infinit said:

?????

When this happened live, I was totally focused on White's jacket and never noticed the Bucks having these "look at this f'n guy" looks on their faces while Cole is smiling ear to ear.

• Like 6