DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/2/22

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Actually, if Mox turns him down, and they bring in Tim Thatcher for a Jeff Cobb run as Danielson’s hitman, that would be super cool.

Didn't this already happen though?

Edit: I misread this, I took this as to have Jeff Cobb come back again. My mistake!

Edited by The Green Meanie

1 minute ago, romdam said:

Where was that "revenge" card Pac had?  He sure didn't look like he was out for revenge.  He actually looked like he wasn't into the whole match itself

Incorruptible.

Letting cooler heads prevail, I think.

Really likes the show overall, i was thoroughly entertained.

- Yuta and Mox had a nice little match even tho it was a bit awkward for the first couple of min. I wasn't expecting the turn the storyline with Bryan is taking but I'm all for it. You know they'll end up wrestling one day anyway so why not make the journey as interesting as possible. I wish Kingston gets involved somehow at some point too. This gave me a bit of an "Outsiders" vibe the way Bryan kept referring to the both of them and "the other place". 

Also love the total disdain Bryan has for Sammy's Vlog and all the young names he dropped, masterfully avoiding HOOK because then no one would talk about anything else if he did that.

- I somewhat enjoy Lambert's segments because while I agree they're kinda trash, you can't fault the commitment the guy has to his character. Plus he's extremely confident on the mic which always impresses me, don't think I've ever heard the guy stumble on a single word with all the crap he talks. I just wish this whole Codyverse crap would stop talking about Face and Heel turns because it drives me crazy.

- Lmao at Isaiah getting a random fist pump from Jose.

- Nyla looked pretty brutal in that match, but what was that finish with Ruby completely missing her finisher? Looked weird and kinda made her look like an idiot.

- I'm enjoying the Page/Archer mini feud because they get physical every time they see each other instead of the heel running away from confrontation week after week. Match should be good and a solid win for Hangman, he makes Archer's finisher look very good.

- Main event was awesome. They hardly did any risky or big spots apart from a couple and yet everyone loved the match, great storytelling and the selling from Punk was outstanding. I know he gets compared to Bret a lot lately and I also got some of that feel today with the way he sells exhaustion and pain. He was about to apply the Sharpshooter in a very un-Bret way tho which I don't approve.

Between this, Sammy/Cody, Hangman/Bryan and even the Bunny/Penelope vs TayJay you've had four near ***** matches all completely different to each other in the span of two months, all on free TV. This is not counting the countless of great matches we get anyway every week, we are truly spoiled.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Jiji said:

So I'm the only one who enjoys (most not all) of the Lambert stuff?

You remember the Team Tazz v. Sting/Darby where the whole feud was Tony would introduce Sting presumably for reasons? and then Tazz would come out and yell at Sting... like every week it seemed they had this segment? This is how I feel about Lambert. I liked the first couple promos he did but its turned into a one note bit that just repeats everyweek. (some thing AEW has a bit of an issue with, see also the endless MJF inner circle thing that seemingly went on forever). Also if he hates AEW so much why is he in the building? who lets him backstage?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Butcher, Blade and Bunny should be in the House of Black. As should Julia Hart.

Give me House of Black v Andrade's Army.

I'm not sure who said it on here, but they said Wyatt should be put with Butcher and Blade should he ever sign and that is a Trios I'd like to see, though depending on his presentation, it might be too similar to House of Black.

• Like 1

I can't figure out whether I'm supposed to think Lambert calling out Brandi for code-switching is old white guy right wing and kinda racist OR if it's actually pretty woke for him.  Either way, I kind of love it.  Call out her background in figure skating next!  ?

Edited by Technico Support

I’m happy to report the Lambert/Brandi feud isn’t real. It’s a St. Elswhere situation where it’s actually happening inside of Vince’s head during his Attitude Era intro piece. I’m sure everyone is relieved.

7-DEEB088-68-D7-4476-9-A32-D4-A641-F16-E

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I find this Brandi situation fascinating.  They were relatively quick to drop the Cult leader gimmick and did so while suggesting they were listening to the fans.  Here we are again and with the numbers supporting a crowd not having what she's selling.  How will TK/AEW maneuver from here?  I was watching that Lambert-Brandi exchange compelled by how unusual it was.  Beyond the bulk displeasure, seems it even confused a few viewers with it's rare heel v heel dynamic.  I didn't think it was a particularly good segment, but I did find myself entertained.  Lambert's segments are generally enjoyable to me and, for somebody who seems to fail so often, I like Brandi's mic ability/delivery.  For sake of comparison, having stopped watching wrestling 15 plus years ago due in large part to lengthy Helmsley and Steph segments I have no problem with these interesting Brandi misfires.  Tho, I get the word 'interesting' isn't shared by the majority.    

I really, really like Lambert but he's been miscast for a while here. I understand MOTY have some legit credentials but nothing about their fashion gimmick suggests "badass MMA guys." After this PVZ story runs it's course, I'd pair him with someone a little more "no-nonsense" like a Jake Hager or Danny Garcia type. And I really don't understand the Archer pairing at all. Not only does he already have Jake, but he's been slowly getting more comfortable on the mic himself on the Darks

On 2/3/2022 at 8:14 AM, Brandon Bones said:

Brandi looked super fucking hot tonight.

This thought never popped into my mind until I read this, but Brandi has to be the best looking woman that I never want to see on my television...by a lot.  Every segment is too self reverential.  It also feels like they're trying to be edgy, but it just comes off as cringeworthy.  It all comes off as inauthentic, and makes me want to change the channel.  Brandi is kind of like the worst of Stephanie McMahon except Stephanie has always been a heel and I think Brandi is trying to be a face.  It would be one thing if I just didn't give a fuck, but her segments rushed right past apathy and went straight to annoyance.  The segments are always too long, and always seem to reference her sex and race in a way that seems forced.  I don't know about you guys, but the average wrestling audience is near the top of the list of audiences who I don't want to know their opinions on sex and race.  It makes an already bad segment feel uncomfortable to watch.  I honestly can't think of a wrestling character who has not just been bad, but been more agonizing to watch than Brandi Rhodes.  I always assumed based on her looks that I'd watch Brandi do damn near anything, but she's proven that hypothesis wrong.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The few words she got out prior to Lambert interrupting didn't give the impression she's "trying to be a face." She's also been leaning pretty heelish on the bird app after her recent Youtube matches. I dunno.

I agree, but I also don't understand the point of putting her in a feud with someone who is going to just spout off misogynistic nonsense.  Why have a feud where you don't want to cheer for anyone.  Even if she is playing the heel, she's still the de facto face, because the entire feud is based on an old white dude berating a younger black woman about how her only value is as an object for sex.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I agree, but I also don't understand the point of putting her in a feud with someone who is going to just spout off misogynistic nonsense.  Why have a feud where you don't want to cheer for anyone.  Even if she is playing the heel, she's still the de facto face, because the entire feud is based on an old white dude berating a younger black woman about how her only value is as an object for sex.  

While Cody is doing things to position himself in a Cena-like dynamic with the audience, my almost-blanket answer for anyone asking "why" with regard to Brandi is "because it would work for the reality show." She's still ostensibly a babyface in the world of that show to the people who enjoy such material, and you can probably milk drama out of Lambert throwing sexist garbage at her.

On the front of "it would work for the reality show," I hope nobody is surprised if we have a Cody/Brandi mixed tag in the near future. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

I'm going to seemingly go to my grave believing that Men of the Year are the most underutilized act on the roster, because their manager is constantly feuding with people when they should be feuding with people.  I honestly don't remember the last time those two had a regular 2 vs. 2 tag match.  They just follow Dan Lambert out to the ring, laugh at his lame jokes and then one of them wrestles a single's match against someone they wouldn't have a problem with if they had any other manager.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

I'm going to seemingly go to my grave believing that Men of the Year are the most underutilized act on the roster, because their manager is constantly feuding with people when they should be feuding with people.  I honestly don't remember the last time those two had a regular 2 vs. 2 tag match.  They just follow Dan Lambert out to the ring, laugh at his lame jokes and then one of them wrestles a single's match against someone they wouldn't have a problem with if they had any other manager.  

and by "one of them wrestles a singles", 99% of the time it feels like it's Ethan Page.  Scorpio Sky barely wrestles it seems like(im not 100% up to date on Dark/Elevation so i could be wrong)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Last time they had a 2 v 2 on TV was September 24th vs Jericho and Hager (the Grand Slam Rampage). Since then they've only done one 2 v 2 on Youtube.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1