DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 2/2/22

11 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I think our boy @The Natural is gonna have to expand his "Best of AEW" list because there are now more than 20 matches where you can't really leave them off...

@Gordlow:

I think I'm going to have to, my friend. In my countdown projects I usually stick at 20 so it's not too big and that limit only leaves for the best of the best. The most I've done is 40 for the Best Batman Stories Ever and The 40 Best Spider-Man Stories.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

That was best Flair/Steamboat match since 1989.  That was awesome- a tribute to American style wrestling. Punk's selling was fucking great- he was the uber-Steamboat, but don't sleep on MJF's selling too.  It was topnotch too.  Would have been better with a clean finish.  Wheeler Yuta is having a good two weeks and I loved the use of Danhausen.  Yeah, I am much more into Danielson faction vs Moxley faction.  IS JOSH ALEXANDER COMING IN!?!?  Penta is also having a good two weeks.  HE's the second or third most over guy in the company.  Malakai Black is so good.  That match was good- especailly because it is all leading up to Black versus Pac.  HUZZAH! AEW RULES!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Holy shit, absolute tv perfection. Brandi and Lambeezy trading barbs is the pinnacle of wrestling. Lambert is the God of this shit and I'm okay with Brandi turning into 2000 Stephanie, though she should be way more of a coward with PVZ. 

Main event was really good too!*

*Diehard punk fan told me it's Punk's best match of his career. Haven't seen MITB or the Joe matches in forever but it's hard to disagree. MJF is a stud and incredible for his age and experience. The selling, the beautiful false finish (those work when you do them once), the replay for the actual finish. Everything about that was wonderful and made me super happy to be a wrestling fan. AEW is special, like all time special, up there with early to mid 90s AJPW and 2013-2018 NJPW. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DEAN said:

HE's the second or third most over guy in the company. 

Chicago has a huge Latino community, right? They were super into Pentagon. Good match and PAC is my guy for wrestling with the blindfold even for just a bit. 

Mox and Danielson two man power trip is making me sad because it feels like a big tease. I want it. Good match with Yuta. Love matches that show underdog babyfaces progressing even in defeat. 

Liked the finish to Nyla and Ruby focusing on the back being the reason she missed her kick this time. 

• Like 4

Being around Dan Lambert has a way of making Jake Roberts seem slightly less old looking. Lambert looks older than his age (52) and Jake probably looks around his age (66) which is an accomplishment in itself all things considered.

AEW might be pretty close to having so many male managers/seconds that they could do a bunkhouse battle royal with just those guys

9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Holy shit, absolute tv perfection. Brandi and Lambeezy trading barbs is the absolute pinnacle of wrestling. Lambert is the God of this shit and I'm okay with Brandi turning into 2000 Stephanie, thoufh she should be way more of a coward with PVZ. 

Main event was really good too!*

*Diehard punk fan told me it's Punk's best match of his career. Haven't seen MITB or the Joe matches in forever but it's hard to disagree. MJF is a stud and incredible for his age and experience. The selling, the beautiful false finish (those work when you do them once), the replay for the actual finish. Everything about that was wonderful and made me super happy to be a wrestling fan. AEW is special, like all time special, up there with early to mid 90s AJPW and 2013-2018 NJPW. 

On a first watch, I'd only have CM Punk vs. John Cena (WWE Money in the Bank 2011), CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe II (ROH Joe vs. Punk II) and CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe III (ROH All Star Extravaganza 2) ahead of CM Punk vs. MJF. Gave them all *****.

For NJPW, I'd go 2012-2018. 2012 you had Kazuchika Okada returning from excursion, Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito at the 40th Anniversary Show, Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (Dominion) and Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki from King of Pro-Wrestling. ***** to each.

Edited by The Natural

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Chicago has a huge Latino community, right? They were super into Pentagon.

looking at JusticeMap.. Wintrust Arena is a few blocks east of some of Chicago's most Hispanic neighborhoods. So it's a little bit more of a commute than when MLW would run Cicero and the crowds would tell you that Cicero is 80% Mexican ancestry.

• Like 2

Great show, man. Nothing to say that hasn't been said. Main event was great (and I liked the little detail of their trunks mirroring Punk/Cena's gear from that one).

Edit: I also wanted to shout out the kick ass Harley on the ropes spot, and the attempted sharpshooter tease

Lambert's segment with Brandi sucked and I do not care about MMA at all no matter how hard I try. Ill watch the occasional big fight, or bet on one here or there, but the whole thing sucks in my book. Maybe PVZ will be a Kurt Angle like prodigy and I'll eat my words, but I have my doubts.

Tag match was killer and I love Kings (graphic said Knights?) of the Black Throne so very much. The whole presentation rules. I'd love to see them form a supergroup with The Butcher & The Blade

Edit 2: Also regarding Brandi's Josh Alexander line, I think it would be great if he came in. Put him with Page, reunite Scorp and Kaz, and you've got two more good teams in an already robust division.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 5

Punk/MJF was some perfect pro wrestling. Do you run it back at Revolution, or do you have MJF dodge Punk some more and claim he's the #1 contender now. Since that was explicitly what Punk said the match was about a couple of weeks ago in his promo. 

Sign me up for Dragon starting his own stable of up-and-coming shooters. The YOUNG DRAGONS~! Jimmy Yang's no compete is up right? 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Mox turns Danielson down and starts his own stable with three young brawlers leading to Blood and Guts: Catch vs Combat

I want Danielson to become Magneto-like and lead a Brotherhood of Wrestlers. Mox shaves his head and becomes Professor moX, he leads the Brawl-Men. It could continue the Wolverine Kingston vs Saber-Garcia rivalry.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Punk/MJF was some perfect pro wrestling. Do you run it back at Revolution, or do you have MJF dodge Punk some more and claim he's the #1 contender now. Since that was explicitly what Punk said the match was about a couple of weeks ago in his promo. 

Sign me up for Dragon starting his own stable of up-and-coming shooters. The YOUNG DRAGONS~! Jimmy Yang's no compete is up right? 

The only way you do Hangman/MJF in March is if Wardlow costs him the match. Hangman's gotta hold the title until at least All Out in Sept, IMO

2 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

If nothing else, tonight solidified that MJF really ought to be the next champ. A year ago, I thought it was Omega to Page to MJF, but Punk and Danielson muddied that. After tonight? Only guy beating Page for that belt should be MJF. I initially wanted to see it asap but I think it can wait until DoN or, likelier, All Out. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I want Danielson to become Magneto-like and lead a Brotherhood of Wrestlers. Mox shaves his head and becomes Professor moX, he leads the Brawl-Men. It could continue the Wolverine Kingston vs Saber-Garcia rivalry.

I love this. Add both Garcia and a newly signed BIFF to the mix? Hell yeah.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
missed a word

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

If nothing else, tonight solidified that MJF really ought to be the next champ. A year ago, I thought it was Omega to Page to MJF, but Punk and Danielson muddied that. After tonight? Only guy beating Page for that belt should be MJF. I initially wanted to see it asap but I think it can wait until DoN or, likelier, All Out. 

I think you can accomplish that by having MJF take a detour into the Wardlow feud. There's enough time between now and All Out for MJF to lose to Wardlow in their big match and get heated back up again to take the title off of Hangman

• Like 3