DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 18

Dolfan in NYC

AB has officially be released by Tampa Bay

Too many Schefter tweets to post so here is his story

Some highlights

• GM Jason Licht says AB never anyone on the medical staff about being injured
  • AB's agent asked last week (prior to Sunday's game) that the team guarantee all of AB's incentives. The team said no
  • A Bucs team official, told ESPN that Brown was agitated at halftime of Sunday's game against the New York Jets about not getting the targets he was expecting and he had to be calmed down.
  • Licht said the Bucs were considering putting AB on IR instead of releasing him but AB and his agent refused to send over the medical information (the one that says he has broken bones in his ankle)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

The last video of Antonio Brown is him doing jumping jacks in the endzone and running off the field while waving to the fans. I know I've watched a lot of pro wrestling in my life (as have most if not all of us here), but sure doesn't look like someone who has a beyond painful ankle injury.

FWIW, the Bucs say Brown complained about his ankle the week before (and was included on the injury report), but was cleared to play and didn't say anything about his ankle on game day.  

I don't necessarily believe everything a team says in regards to injuries - trainers are on the team payroll, after all - but in this case, I'm fairly comfortable believing the party that does not have a well-documented history of erratic behavior.  I feel like, if he really was telling someone he was too hurt to play, someone would be defending him in the media.  Teammates, a security guard, someone.  Brady could speak up for AB and not have to worry too much about repercussions from the coach or front office.  There are a lot of people and a lot of cell phone cameras on every sideline.  Not too much goes on without someone noticing.  I'm also usually suspicious when you have a perfectly reasonable explanation for everything and it still takes you four days to put it out there.

Brown not only ran around and did jumping jacks on his bad ankle, he somehow kept running and ended up outside the stadium (he ended up jumping in a state trooper's vehicle and telling the trooper to drive him to the airport like the guy was a Uber driver or something).

Bucs released Brown this morning.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

He also started ranting on social media this morning against Tom Brady and Brady's trainer

Welp, if he wasn't done for in the League, he is now.  You can get away with a lot in the NFL if you're talented enough.  You can probably even tug on Superman's cape.  But the one thing you cannot do is talk shit about Alex Guerrero.  Tom Terrific will not play that.

If I was AB, I'd sleep with one eye open the next few nights.  Odds are high that a severed horse head wearing a Buccaneers bandana is going to inexplicably find its way to AB's mansion.

• Haha 4

Boomer Esiason keeps trying to be relevant.  He said this morning that Aaron Rodgers is planning "to threaten to boycott the Super Bowl" if GB makes it.  

Aaron has now replied:

• Haha 3

Boomer accomplished what he wanted - he's gotten a lot of attention today.  This story is such obvious nonsense that it's embarrassing he even gave it a moment's thought let alone repeating it.  So, so stupid.

• Like 1

Later in the show, Boomer admitted it was probably a prank and they played it for laughs, but they didn't seem to be joking in the first segment. so I'm guessing someone in charge called in and smartened them up.

If Boomer and co. really believed that, welp, Ron Burgundy is alive and well.  I guess we're fortunate no one texted Boomer to tell him that Ben Roethlisberger was going to miss his final start tomorrow because his refrigerator is running and he has to go catch it.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Haha 2

The RoofClaim.com is on fire.

The roofing business wants to have its name removed from the Week 18 Jaguars home game, based on the plan by fans to show up dressed as clowns to protest the ongoing presence of Trent Baalke as the G.M.

• Haha 2

There is way more to that story

A Georgia roofing company is suing the Jacksonville Jaguars, claiming a breach of contract because the team wouldn't allow it to pull its sponsorship deal after head coach Urban Meyer was fired.

The company, RoofClaim.com, also claims that it doesn't want its brand associated with being the primary sponsor for Sunday's home game against the Indianapolis Colts because of the movement on social media of disgruntled fans planning to wear clown attire to the game to show their frustration with Jaguars owner Shad Khan.

The lawsuit, filed in circuit court on Thursday in Duval County, seeks in excess of $30,000 in damages. The company had signed a four-year sponsorship contract with the Jaguars in which it agreed to pay $2.51 million. It has already paid $300,000.

The Florida Times-Union newspaper first reported the lawsuit, which claims breach of contract because the defendant did not provide the full scope of marketing outlined in the agreement throughout the regular season. Even if it did provide these marketing opportunities, the defendant has created such a toxic environment around its brand that the promised "co-mingling of marks" has become a detriment to RoofClaim.com, the lawsuit claims.

A Jaguars spokesman issued a statement that said they did receive the complaint, but that "it is baseless and without merit, and contradictory to the very terms RoofClaim.com negotiated in its sponsorship agreement earlier this year. We will exhaustively protect our interests in this matter at every turn."

The lawsuit claims that RoofClaim.com's primary interest in a sponsorship deal was Meyer and specified that any deal would need to be tied to Meyer's tenure with the team. The lawsuit claims that RoofClaim.com met with the Jaguars on Dec. 16, the day Meyer was fired, and said it wanted to end the sponsorship deal "due to the harm that any further affiliation would have on RoofClaim.com's brand."

However, there does not appear to be a provision in the sponsorship agreement to end the deal if Meyer was fired before the end of the third year of the contract, which an attorney for RoofClaim.com attached to a copy of the lawsuit.

Under the terms of agreement, which began Aug. 15, 2021, RoofClaim.com has the option to end the agreement if Meyer ceases to be the head coach between the final game of the third contract year (which ends after the 2023 season) and March 1, 2024, by providing written notice to the Jaguars within 30 days of the announcement that Meyer would no longer be the coach.

The lawsuit is seeking a jury trial.

I can't find the exact tweet again so I don't remember the specific numbers but the Giants won't have a full 53 man roster for tomorrow's game because they don't have enough money against the cap to sign replacement players.

Somehow Dave Gettleman will keep his job

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I can't find the exact tweet again so I don't remember the specific numbers but the Giants won't have a full 53 man roster for tomorrow's game because they don't have enough money against the cap to sign replacement players.

Somehow Dave Gettleman will keep his job

Can't wait to hear Vic Fangio explain why he kicked the field goal to take the score from a one-score game to a one-score game with less than five minutes left.

If the Broncos don't fire him before the post-game press conference, I mean.

There is a running joke on LeBatard that Vic Fangio idea of a perfect offensive series is to hold the ball for over 20 minutes and not score a single point.  It really feels like Vic feels that winning time of possession is more important than actually scoring points

Meanwhile Dallas is just destroying Philly but at least has some sense to remove their stars.  

Really pulling for the Jags to pull an upset today, so (1) Steelers send Roethlisberger out with one last playoff run (assuming they beat the Ravens); and (2) the Chargers-Raiders have to deal with the "if they tie, they both go to the playoffs" scenario.

I don't expect either team to play for a tie even if it would be to their mutual advantage.  I imagine the League has strongly warned both teams against doing anything that looks like they are trying to accomplish that.  Also, even assuming you're for some reason inclined to help a division rival and potential playoff opponent out, why would you trust the other team?  If I was a coach in this situation, I'd be willing to play for a tie until the last possession in regulation or whenever I got the ball in OT.  

I guess maybe the upside to a tie would be that I'd prefer to play the other team instead of the Colts in the playoffs, but I don't think either the Chargers or Raiders will last long enough in the playoffs to have to worry about potentially playing the other team again.  I don't really think the Steelers are a playoff-caliber team, for that matter.

It's a fascinating scenario that I don't recall happening before.  Though I suspect the League is pulling for the Colts to stomp the sh** out of the Jags and win by at least 30.  And, really, all you really need to do here is root for the Jags to be the Jags and the problem will take care of itself.

• Like 1

time for the morning half of the last week of the season in all the glory of their meaninglessness.

As always, the unofficial theme for Playing Out The String is:

GB vs DET on Fox and like any other squash match, if I get even 3 minutes' worth of amusement out of this I'll count myself lucky.