DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 18

Dolfan in NYC

Apparently, Ben Roethlisberger has only played two "meaningless" games in eighteen years.  Meaningless meaning the Steelers were already eliminated from playoff contention.  That's quite a run, though I assume there were a few games in there that were meaningless but Ben was out with an injury or whatever.  I'd have to look it up.  My memory is bad.  Quite a run, regardless.  I'd like to see Ben get one last playoff appearance, but the odds don't look good.

Last night's Steelers game was a lot of fun to see live, though if you put both teams in generic uniforms and told me it was a college game, I'd have told you neither qb was going to get drafted into the League.  Ugly night for both qb's.  I'm skeptical Mayfield is going to get a good offer from the Browns, so I'm curious to see how hot the market for him is going to be.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Apparently, Ben Roethlisberger has only played two "meaningless" games in eighteen years.  Meaningless meaning the Steelers were already eliminated from playoff contention.  That's quite a run, though I assume there were a few games in there that were meaningless but Ben was out with an injury or whatever.  I'd have to look it up.  My memory is bad.  Quite a run, regardless.  I'd like to see Ben get one last playoff appearance, but the odds don't look good.

Last night's Steelers game was a lot of fun to see live, though if you put both teams in generic uniforms and told me it was a college game, I'd have told you neither qb was going to get drafted into the League.  Ugly night for both qb's.  I'm skeptical Mayfield is going to get a good offer from the Browns, so I'm curious to see how hot the market for him is going to be.

The Steelers were still in the 2019 season playoff hunt when Ben was out for most of the season, I can't remember the tiebreaker if they ended up 9-7 like the Titans but it didn't matter since the Steelers lost to the Ravens in week 17. The Steelers haven't had a losing season since 2003, which gave them a rare early pick which enabled them to draft Ben. Also, the Steelers have had only four losing seasons the past 30 years, 1991 they wen 7-9 in Chuck Noll's final season, then back to back losing season in 1998 and 1999.

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Tom Brady has never played in a meaningless game.  That's an incredible run of consistency for both guys.  I mean, even Aaron Rodgers has had two 6-win seasons.

• Like 1

Week 18!  AKA "the first week 18 ever!" as we heard on multiple broadcasts this past weekend as we apparently live in an alternate universe where the 1993 NFL season never happened.

• Like 1

The Browns are in a terrible place. Baker really flopped this year, but at least some of that is due to playing hurt. And he's shown flashes of being a really good QB in the past. They don't have a roster that's positioned well to transfer for over into rebuilding, but it's hard to see how they upgrade at QB barring something crazy like Watson.

There really is a loser stench all over the Browns where even if Mayfield regressing was part of the problem this year, there's a culture of losing that makes them want to dump QBs at the first sign of them getting worse.

The Browns were down by a single score for a bit of last night where it felt like they really had no chance in hell of winning. Watching that game was like the football equivalent of watching a rust belt down hollow out.

There's some orgs that really need some sort of foundation to not immediately cook their QBs if things swing against them. A few of the best young QBs in the AFC are on franchises with a history of being awful in big spots. Josh Allen/Bills, Joe Burrow/Bengals, Baker Mayfield/Browns, Justin Herbert/Chargers. The 3 non-Baker QBs listed are flying way higher than Mayfield right now but if things swing, who knows what happens then.

But surely the next QB drafted by the truck stop magnate and all the front office braintrust will fix it, or else he'll get dumped quick too.

At least the Browns aren't the Jaguars

26 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

BTW, my favorite stat of this season

Derrick Henry is sixth in the NFL in total rushing yards. He hasn't played since Halloween. 

Honestly that stat more shows the fragility of the position because if you look - almost all the guys behind him who are less than 100 yards behind had missed multiple games too

Antonio Gibson, Eli Mitchell, Damien Harris, etc... And there is also Zeke who has been playing every week but really shouldn't have been

The more telling one (in a lot of different ways) is that Henry is still 7th in rushing attempts

• Like 1

Final Tankathon Update

1.) Jacksonville: 2-14 (.522)

2.) Detroit: 2-13-1 (.539)

3.) Houston: 4-12 (.496)

4.) New York Jets: 4-12 (.515)

5.) New York Giants: 4-12 (.537)

6.) Carolina: 5-11 (.507)

7.) New York Jets (from Seattle): 6-10 (.518)

8.) New York Giants (from Chicago): 6-10 (.520)

9.) Washington: 6-10 (.533)

Notes

• 4 Teams are tied at 7-9 so that is why I only did Top 9
  • NYG vs. Washington is the only Week 18 game between 2 teams in the Top 10. (Chicago vs Minnesota is the other game that is close)
  • It seems fairly safe to assume Jacksonville has #1 locked up since Indy (their opponent) needs to win the game
  • At the moment, the Eagles will have the 14th, 19th and 21st picks

An NFL Memes account posted an official looking graphic of Antonio Brown being signed by the Cowboys. I knew this was a meme account posting. I still Googled to double check because that headline seemed too much in the realm of possibility. I never do that for memes. 

So what happens in the lead up to two shit teams playing each other in the last week of the season.

This

Joe Judge shits on Washington for having players fighting on the sidelines

Joe Judge then refuses to do press conference with the Washington media (they were not mandatory this year but, if asked, all coaches had done them so far)

Washington media loses its mind (partly because clearly they want anything besides the name change to talk about)

Joe Judge claims that when talking about teammates fighting each other on the sidelines, he was totally not talking about Washington

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

An NFL Memes account posted an official looking graphic of Antonio Brown being signed by the Cowboys. I knew this was a meme account posting. I still Googled to double check because that headline seemed too much in the realm of possibility. I never do that for memes. 

If it makes you feel any better, no one can sign him as he is still a Buc. The theory is that the Bucs haven't actually cut AB due to either A. to avoid complaints that they cut an injured player, or B. to prevent another playoff team from signing him. Or both.

• Like 3

The story does immediately admit that the NFL does this every year.

However - it does seem like the NFL is - for the 2nd straight year - is concerned about COVID attendance restrictions in California and to the surprise of no one, Jerry World appears to be the backup plan again 

• Like 1

Interesting update to the Antonio Brown story. If any of this is true I am sure there is video/audio/witnesses as there are lots of people and mics and cameras on the sideline at all times. While his reaction was still bizarre, this doesn't make Arians look great.

11 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Interesting update to the Antonio Brown story. If any of this is true I am sure there is video/audio/witnesses as there are lots of people and mics and cameras on the sideline at all times. While his reaction was still bizarre, this doesn't make Arians look great.

The last video of Antonio Brown is him doing jumping jacks in the endzone and running off the field while waving to the fans. I know I've watched a lot of pro wrestling in my life (as have most if not all of us here), but sure doesn't look like someone who has a beyond painful ankle injury.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 7