DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

For anyone wondering, why he got booed at the end:

He promised that one day he would return to Germany as the WWE Champion and that Munich knows a thing or two about champions, which was of course a reference to FC Bayern Munich.

I love the irony of WWE firing Hero for not getting into shape while pushing Big Show as a top face.

One is a seven footer who is a medical anomaly who is probably in the best shape he can possibly be in considering his travel schedule and whose gimmick is "Damn he is big".  The other was a regular dude with a muffin top up until his last two appearances whose gimmick is "I am a striker!"

• Like 3

i'll add a caveat to the Heenan checking out point: Heenan pretty much didn't care about anything except Goldberg for a period of time. Granted Heenan's reasoning for never wanting Goldberg to job was a bit.... well... his reasoning involved rich Jews, IIRC. He mentioned it a few times in his 2001 internet media tourI think Ventura's two commentary stints were 4/5 years in the WWF and 2 1/2 years in WCW. So he had the benefit of not working 7 year commentary stints in both promotions back to back like Heenan.And i've read of people preferring the Body Shop over Piper's Pit

To be fair, I always interpereted Heenan's point about Goldberg as "There aren't a lot of Jewish superstar athletes and when you have one you should market the hell out of it and WCW didn't" At the time it didn't set off my antisemite alarm at all that he said that.

I love the irony of WWE firing Hero for not getting into shape while pushing Big Show as a top face.

Also, Show's a better wrestler than Hero.

Also, Show's been demoted a few times for getting too fat and out of shape, even getting sent to OVW.

In my experience, when someone refuses to do something simple, it is because they want out, but do not want to quit. 

Self-destructive Behaviour 101. There really isn't any irony to Hero getting released, while Big Show gets pushed. Big Show has, uh, shown he is a company guy, works hard to stay in shape and stay relevant, continues to be a good worker, etc. Hero on the other hand was in developmental, was urged to take his physical attributes in one direction because he let himself go a bit, and he chose to stay down a path that lead to his release, whether that was a sub-conscious decision or not. Personally, I'm not sure I want a guy on my roster if he isn't going to be completely dedicated to improving himself, and instead chooses to shoot himself in the foot. He can be the best worker in the world, but if he's going to be a flake, is that going to be someone you can rely and depend on going forward?

It also isn't beyond reasoning to think that Hero can get himself into shape and get right back into developmental. He's a good worker. He just needs to get himself back on track or find his own way outside the WWE.

EDIT: "behaviour"? What the fuck?

• Like 2

A couple more observations from the Mid-South dvd 1. Heels attempting to call timeout to stem the onslaught of the babyfaces needs to come back2. We're way overdue for another tar and feathering or painting a yellow stripe down someone's back angle

I thought it was weird after the tar and feathering that JYD finished his promo. Otherwise, this was a pretty awesome feud.

I wonder what the Cena haters think of that video, since you have to figure the vast majority of them dig Cesaro.

As a person, John Cena seems like a pretty good dude and you can tell he genuinely loves wrestling and cares about the betterment of the WWE, but I still hate his shtick and generally don't enjoy him as an in-ring performer. So that still puts him above Hogan, who I didn't enjoy watching and was only out for himself.

Random wrestling thoughts:

I may have found someone who can, for a (relatively) low cost, start transferring my VHS wrestling into digital wrestling. This makes me happy. Now I'll have dvd copies of the hundreds of hours of wrestling I don't have time to watch.

There is nothing Vince McMahon and "creative" can do to make me give a flying fuck about Orton, Show, and HHH. Not one goddamn thing. Jesus Christ, the fact that these guys continue to sit on top of the company says volumes about the innate ability of the WWE to sell shit sandwiches at premium prices and convince the rubes it's filet Mignon.

So, I saw about 15 minutes of talking between Bubba Dudley and some bearded biker types. I realize that talking and skits are what big time wrestling is made of now but holy shit, that was painful.

• Like 1

I wonder what the Cena haters think of that video, since you have to figure the vast majority of them dig Cesaro.

As a person, John Cena seems like a pretty good dude and you can tell he genuinely loves wrestling and cares about the betterment of the WWE, but I still hate his shtick and generally don't enjoy him as an in-ring performer. So that still puts him above Hogan, who I didn't enjoy watching and was only out for himself.

I could go a very very long time without ever hearing another Cena promo and be quite happy with that, but he does have good-to-excellent matches.  What annoys me about the haters most (and I have a good friend who is one) is that "You can't wrestle" bullshit.