DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

I wonder what the Cena haters think of that video, since you have to figure the vast majority of them dig Cesaro.

As a person, John Cena seems like a pretty good dude and you can tell he genuinely loves wrestling and cares about the betterment of the WWE, but I still hate his shtick and generally don't enjoy him as an in-ring performer. So that still puts him above Hogan, who I didn't enjoy watching and was only out for himself.
You ever meet The Hulkster? Because I did and he was nice as fuck
  • Like 1

I wonder what the Cena haters think of that video, since you have to figure the vast majority of them dig Cesaro.

As a person, John Cena seems like a pretty good dude and you can tell he genuinely loves wrestling and cares about the betterment of the WWE, but I still hate his shtick and generally don't enjoy him as an in-ring performer. So that still puts him above Hogan, who I didn't enjoy watching and was only out for himself.
You ever meet The Hulkster? Because I did and he was nice as fuck
I've never met Hogan, so he might be nice as fuck. I didn't question if he is a nice guy or not, just about him being self-serving, which everybody has to be to a degree in order to succeed in life. I just mentioned that while I don't like Cena's work, I like what he did for Claudio in Germany.

Hogan helped out plenty of his bros. Do you really think WCW would have hired Brutus without Hogan? Shit, when I met Hogan he was eating lunch w/ Brutus, after the parasailing accident but before the return. I bet Hogan brought the dude all the way to California with him and probably bought his lunch too.

Hogan helped out plenty of his bros. Do you really think WCW would have hired Brutus without Hogan? Shit, when I met Hogan he was eating lunch w/ Brutus, after the parasailing accident but before the return. I bet Hogan brought the dude all the way to California with him and probably bought his lunch too.

Sure, and he got Jim Duggan a job in WCW, and Duggan went on to squash Steve Austin for the US title.  So "help[ing] out ... his bros" is not necessarily a good thing.

i'll add a caveat to the Heenan checking out point: Heenan pretty much didn't care about anything except Goldberg for a period of time. Granted Heenan's reasoning for never wanting Goldberg to job was a bit.... well... his reasoning involved rich Jews, IIRC. He mentioned it a few times in his 2001 internet media tourI think Ventura's two commentary stints were 4/5 years in the WWF and 2 1/2 years in WCW. So he had the benefit of not working 7 year commentary stints in both promotions back to back like Heenan.And i've read of people preferring the Body Shop over Piper's Pit

To be fair, I always interpereted Heenan's point about Goldberg as "There aren't a lot of Jewish superstar athletes and when you have one you should market the hell out of it and WCW didn't"At the time it didn't set off my antisemite alarm at all that he said that.

I wouldn't say his point was anti-Semitic because most of the time that phrase means some sort of obvious malice, But he either directly or essentially said there were a lot of Jewish people in TV/marketing in reference to Goldberg running up a 3000-0 streak. One place where he said that was his shoot with a certain initialed individual (rhymes with Bob Minestein). The audio doesn't last long on YouTube since he's one of the few people in the shoot genre that seems to go at YouTube pirates.

If anything, it might just be Bobby misreading how things would have been in 1998 as opposed to previous years. I think the reasonable limit on a Goldberg streak would have been reached in 1999 when they realize there's not exactly anyone new for him to beat if he goes over Nash. Unless you're heavily banking on Goldberg/Lex Luger, Goldberg/Sting, Goldberg/Ric Flair and Goldberg/Randy Savage.

Now, one problem is that the WCW after the fingerpoke was a total clusterfuck for about 3 months solid. So instead of a new WCW President (Flair) actually being able to do something post-Fingerpoke (say a tournament to decide the champion at Superbawl), Flair is the new President and he can't do much of anything but he does bring in his son, who turns heel at Superbrawl, then Flair turns heel the next month for some reason, and a First Blood Match ends with a pinfall

Seems kinda lame to think Cena is El Diablo of the E when the last several months of all the shows have been Exhibits A - Z of what happens when HHH and the Mrs. are allowed to fantasy book themselves.

Agreed 100%. I don't think John Cena is the problem. What kills my interest is the involvment of HHH and Stephanie as on screen characters at the expense of active members of the roster.
  • Like 1

i'll add a caveat to the Heenan checking out point: Heenan pretty much didn't care about anything except Goldberg for a period of time. Granted Heenan's reasoning for never wanting Goldberg to job was a bit.... well... his reasoning involved rich Jews, IIRC. He mentioned it a few times in his 2001 internet media tourI think Ventura's two commentary stints were 4/5 years in the WWF and 2 1/2 years in WCW. So he had the benefit of not working 7 year commentary stints in both promotions back to back like Heenan.And i've read of people preferring the Body Shop over Piper's Pit

To be fair, I always interpereted Heenan's point about Goldberg as "There aren't a lot of Jewish superstar athletes and when you have one you should market the hell out of it and WCW didn't"At the time it didn't set off my antisemite alarm at all that he said that.

Now, one problem is that the WCW after the fingerpoke was a total clusterfuck for about 3 months solid. So instead of a new WCW President (Flair) actually being able to do something post-Fingerpoke (say a tournament to decide the champion at Superbawl), Flair is the new President and he can't do much of anything but he does bring in his son, who turns heel at Superbrawl, then Flair turns heel the next month for some reason, and a First Blood Match ends with a pinfall

I got dizzy reading that. Thank God I was sitting down. Now I can gently lower my head to my desk and weep in comfort and silently.

Meltzer gave a decent rundown of all the corporate comings-and-goings.

It's mentioned Triple H is specifically finding people outside of wrestling, who don't know anything about the business, because he wants to be the one to teach them about wrestling. Doesn't sound like people are too keen on this. Also, Vince was mega-pissed at all the false advertising on the European tour, and Triple H's department were the ones responsible, hence why so many of them went. The shocking one was Triple H's right hand man, and the guy who arranged all his travel and whatnot.