DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

I ordered Starrcade '87 out of a early/mid 90's mag and it cost me a fortune. Good show though. I also ordered a 3-pack out of WWE mag. It was grudge matches hosted by macho in his home which was incredible, wrestlefest and some random event in England.

Usually I would just rent old VHS tapes from the local stores. I miss being able to rent whatever I want. Redbox sucks.

• Like 2

Kaitlyn's favorite simpsons episode is the one where Marge becomes a bodybuilder. Don't ask how I know that.

Considering she was a fitness model this isn't surprising to me.. but she's referenced classics such as CHOO CHOO CHOOSE YOU

Edit: Guys, calm down. Stacy never even won Babe of the Year on WWE.com. Not even once.

Well that's the point, anybody can reference those. It is like AJ reading Mad Love or something, it is such a safe reference. Also Matt, I told you. I was impressed she loved such a strange episode from the dark ages. 

I recall it being the ring broke myself and was done with the promise it wouldn't be filmed.

I thought the ring broke during an RVD vs Sabu match and then they decided to keep doing moves in it which couldn't have helped

Ring broke during the match *before* RVD/Sabu, and it was taking the ring crew and Mikey forever to fix it.  They were up to 30 minutes or so then Kimona came out and danced up in the Sound Stage/Hard Camera area to distract us while the ring was "fixed".  I quote fixed because the ring did infact break again during the RVD/Sabu match.

That was about the point that ECW sprung for a new ring.

You know what phrase I could do without ever hearing again in wrestling? Face of the company. Whatever happened to just wanting to win the goddamned belt (or championship)?

What is so interesting about the last few months of storylines is there is a perception, which is almost entirely the WWE's doing, that the true champion is not on top.

It had always frustrated a segment of the fanbase that the Cena/Orton types were so often holding the belts. But the WWE always presented it storyline-wise that these wrestlers were on top because they were the best wrestlers.

HHH's "face of the company" and "best for business" stuff is indicative that the best wrestler is not as important as looking like the best wrestler. And HHH has made it clear through his words/actions that he plans on keeping the title on wrestlers who look the best.

So somehow, in a fixed sport, WWE has created paper champions.

It's a storyline and he's a heel character

One element old VHS tapes is that they priced them super high so that rental places had to pay that sort of a fee at least once.

I always thought rental VHS tapes were just really high quality and more durable than regular ones, although that didn't do much for me when me and some friends rented SNL Best of Eddie Murphy once and the tape died while Jesse Jackson was singing "Don't Let Me Down Hymie Town"

• Like 1

You know what phrase I could do without ever hearing again in wrestling? Face of the company. Whatever happened to just wanting to win the goddamned belt (or championship)?

What is so interesting about the last few months of storylines is there is a perception, which is almost entirely the WWE's doing, that the true champion is not on top.

It had always frustrated a segment of the fanbase that the Cena/Orton types were so often holding the belts. But the WWE always presented it storyline-wise that these wrestlers were on top because they were the best wrestlers.

HHH's "face of the company" and "best for business" stuff is indicative that the best wrestler is not as important as looking like the best wrestler. And HHH has made it clear through his words/actions that he plans on keeping the title on wrestlers who look the best.

The heel is supposed to help the babyface get over. Something HHH failed miserably at.

• Like 4

I should take this time to say that recently AJ's whole "I am a geek and love comics!" Thing is feeling more and more forced... she doesn't seem as genuinely into stuff that "geeks" are supposed to like. Kaitlyn seems much more genuine about her interests. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

And not to just pick on AJ. I also shit on this NXT guy for having over 9000 on his tights and saying that he loves DBZ. And yes if I were to start a religion it would probably spreading the word of Goku door to door. 

• Like 1

Back to Sunny for a minute...

She was amazingly hot in 1994-1997. Women in wrestling up until that point were generally dogs, save the occasional Elizabeth or Missy Hyatt (who wasn't that hot, just slutty). But to go along with the looks, Sunny was a male pro wrestling fans wet dream come true - a decent looking chick who was TOTALLY into pro wrestling. Unlike Elizabeth, for example, who never seemed to care much and probably couldn't tell you the difference between a wristlock and a wrist watch, Sunny was a wrestling nerd. Her SMW gimmick of being the privileged girl from the private school was really good and why they changed that so much in WWF I will never understand. Plus, she was one of the few females in wrestling (even up until this day) who could actually cut a good promo and had charisma beyond just being hot. She had many appeals - hot, smart, into wrestling, and a good performer. 

I should take this time to say that recently AJ's whole "I am a geek and love comics!" Thing is feeling more and more forced... she doesn't seem as genuinely into stuff that "geeks" are supposed to like. Kaitlyn seems much more genuine about her interests. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

I used to feel like that until the 2011 Halloween Diva Battle Royale when, dressed as Kitana, she attempted the fan lift.  It convinced me.

Posted Image

• Like 2

And not to just pick on AJ. I also shit on this NXT guy for having over 9000 on his tights and saying that he loves DBZ. 

And yes if I were to start a religion it would probably spreading the word of Goku door to door. 

You mean these two?

Posted Image

Do you also shit on Cody Rhodes and the triforce?

• Like 1

I used to feel like that until the 2011 Halloween Diva Battle Royale when, dressed as Kitana, she attempted the fan lift.  It convinced me.

Posted Image

What's funny is that when I was searching for WCW gifs this morning that came up.

Slightly better quality

Posted Image

A wrestling phrase I could do without ever hearing again is people starting a promo with "you know something" or "you see, the thing is".

As for Sunny, it's very hard to separate who she is now from who she was. Seeing her when I was younger, she had this innate ability to remind me ( and I assume others) of the the popular but cool girl we all knew in high school. As people who post on this board, I sort of naturally assume we all dealt with various issues in high school, but I also feel like we can all point to one or two of the "cool" kids who were randomly also in to nerd shit and would amicably chat for a few minutes before class. I guess AJ, while being really different as a performer, has a similar innate charisma I feel.

I do feel Sunny was an overall better performer than AJ, but that's neither here nor there.

Where was the storyline that explained why the wrestler they positioned as the true champion who got the best of both current world champions got chucked down the card?

The heel is supposed to help the babyface get over. Something HHH failed miserably at.

Yeah, DB and Dusty's boys come out and there is just silence and crickets.

Come on, internet.

Not to mention The Big Show going from Great Khali-style freakshow (I think he was just months away from dancing with the Bellas) to one of the biggest week-to-week reactions.

And not to just pick on AJ. I also shit on this NXT guy for having over 9000 on his tights and saying that he loves DBZ. 

And yes if I were to start a religion it would probably spreading the word of Goku door to door. 

You mean these two?

Posted Image

Do you also shit on Cody Rhodes and the triforce?

No because Cody knows his stuff. 

"you see, the thing is".

I FUCKING HATE THIS PHRASE. What is the thing? It's fucking wasted space at best, and at worstt it's a passive aggressive way of saying "Yeah but I'm about to tell you how you are wrong." It's also a clear indicator of people  who are waiting for you to stop talking so they can start. I hate it more than "like" or "um". I especially hate it when I'm watching a foreign film and the translator sneaks it in. Do Chinese people really have a phrase equal to "the thing is"? Fuck I hope not.

I can't stand it. I can only think of few things I hate more. The list would be like 

1. Bigotry

2. Rape

3. "The thing is"

• Like 1