DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Dunno if anyone's read Bruce Hart's book (Picked it up for $1 at a book sale) (it's okay, so far), but he tells an amazing Terry Funk story.  Apparently back in the 70s, or so, Dory Funk Jr. invited Bruce and his brothers to visit him down at his ranch, so Bruce, Smith and Bret Hart drove down there one summer.  At the time, Dory was touring Florida, so Terry offered to show them around.  He invited them to the wrestling going on that night which the Harts excitedly took him up on.  En route, Terry offered Bruce some chewing tobacco, which Bruce had never tried before but not wanting to look like a little kid, gleefully took him up on.  Bruce didn't know that you were supposed to spit the chaw out and kept swallowing, at which point Terry started cursing and apologized to the brothers that his air conditioning was on the fritz and now his power windows weren't working either.  Being that it was the South in the middle of the summer, it got hotter and hotter in the car and Bruce, gleefully swallowing his chaw spit, got sicker and sicker and finally asked Terry to pull over where he "puked his guts out" beside the road.  He said that when he got back in the car, Terry's smiled and his air conditioning and power windows miraculously started working again.

Even better, was Terry then asked if any of the Harts wanted to have a hand in the night's matches, Bruce volunteered and Terry told Bruce that in the main when Boris Malenko put the face (I can't remember who it was) in his dreaded submission hold that Bruce should jump the rails, get into the ring and jump on Malenko's back.  So, in the main, Bruce gets out of his seat, jumps the rail, slides into the ring and jumps on Malenko's back, at which point Bruce overhears Malenko say "Hang on, I've got some mark on my back".  Malenko then gave Bruce a hard snapmare into the mat, wrapped his fist with his chain and reared back to pummel Bruce at which point Bruce began yelling "Kayfabe! Kayfabe!" in order to let Malenko know he was supposed to be running in, only Terry hadn't told anyone about it.  So the police dragged Bruce out of the ring, handcuffed him and threw him in the back of cop car.  Bruce says he remembers panicking about having to spend the night in jail in a foreign country and what he would tell his parents when he saw Terry Funk approach the police and was relieved, thinking Terry was there to save him.  Only it was then that he heard Terry shouting to the police "You've got to lock him up and throw away the keys! He endangered the lives of everyone in the building!"  It was only thanks to Lord Alfred Hayes coming over and vouching for Hart that kept him from being thrown in jail that night.  Amazingly, Bruce and Terry became good friends, even after that!

• Like 12

With all this talk about big men and Chris Jericho's comments about a motivated Big Show being in his top 5, I was thinking is the Big Show the most accomplished modern wrestler in North America winning every world title from WWE, WCW and the WWE version of ECW.

I think I probably have some different tastes than everyone else on here. I've spent a lot of time going down Sabu spotfests in ECW. I think Sabu is legitimately my favorite wrestler of all-time. I doubt anyone else will think this on here because his stuff takes so long to set up and can look ridiculous but I don't care. His stuff that's so crazy to set up is usually completely insane and he pretty much would die. I also am a total mark for old RVD in ECW stuff. I still also love all the Amazing Red/SAT spot fest stuff from back in the day. I also loved the entire Nexus angle from start-to-finish and am seemingly one of three people left who things The Authority story rules.

I like a lot of stuff that no one else likes anymore but whatever -- as long as you can say why you like things in a somewhat decent matter, everyone is fine with it. We're all Mark Henry marks here but if you can say why you're not into him other than "he's boring" then we'll be cool with it. Probably. I mean, it's Mark Henry we're talking about. Dude rules. Come on, son.

Imagine Hogan, with his old man shoes hobbling down the Titan Tron ramp for one more match? In front of the right crowd I think it could be watchable.

I'm sure there is a crowd that would eat up Shawn Michaels being forced to job for Hogan again.

I bet Toronto would.

There are a million reasons why you should love Beautiful Bobby.

I found my Best of Starrcade 83-87 double vhs that I bought back in the early 90's and was watching the Midnight's/Warriors scaffold match and Bobby is so awesome during it. My favorite part is when Bobby starts climbing and Cornette begs him "please Bobby, don't go...you'll get killed" and Bobby is like "Nope, I gotta do this". Beautiful Bobby is a man's man.

• Like 1

Imagine Hogan, with his old man shoes hobbling down the Titan Tron ramp for one more match? In front of the right crowd I think it could be watchable.

I'm sure there is a crowd that would eat up Shawn Michaels being forced to job for Hogan again.

I bet Toronto would.

I was thinking that a decent chunk of this forum would love it.

I don't want to see Hogan ever again.

I wouldn't mind a Hogan cameo at Mania. Something like 3MB interrupting a celebrity and Real American hits and Hogan comes down to clean house. Could you imagine the bumps that Heath Slater would take in that situation?

I found my Best of Starrcade 83-87 double vhs that I bought back in the early 90's and was watching the Midnight's/Warriors scaffold match and Bobby is so awesome during it. My favorite part is when Bobby starts climbing and Cornette begs him "please Bobby, don't go...you'll get killed" and Bobby is like "Nope, I gotta do this". Beautiful Bobby is a man's man.

Holy shit, I used to have that vhs as well. Lost it during a move.

And the first ten thousand of those reasons are that glorious mullet. 

I think the Eaton/Lane/Cornette version of MX is my favorite. Their feud with The Fantastics ----> short feud with Arn and Tully ------> murder at the hands of the newly-turned Road Warriors is one of my favorite things that I have ever seen out of one team. They were just so awesome and this is my favorite Cornette work on the mic ever. 

The Shield has to swipe that finish to win the belts back from The Rhodes Boys. Could you imagine the sympathy heat if they beat the hell out of Goldust before the match and then left Cody to fend for himself for a while during the match? Goldust valiantly but foolishly tags in and gets speared by Reigns. I think that'd be a great way to kick-off a Cody main event push too. Let him hold his own for a while but they eventually get taken down by numbers. Cody looks strong and can go from there.

I can honestly say there's no one wrestler I hate or don't want to see.  One of my favorite wrestlers growing up was late-1970s Dick The Bruiser when he had all the wrestling prowess of a carrot.  But he looked cool and sounded awesome and that's all that mattered.  I guess I'm not very picky; if you're a wrestling character and you're on my television, I want to watch what you're doing.

Now my new dream match is Hulk Hogan vs. Mark Henry vs. Davey Richards in a three-way bout.  That way everyone else here would get angry and personally offended by its very existence, but for entirely different reasons.

I can honestly say there's no one wrestler I hate or don't want to see.  One of my favorite wrestlers growing up was late-1970s Dick The Bruiser when he had all the wrestling prowess of a carrot.  But he looked cool and sounded awesome and that's all that mattered.  I guess I'm not very picky; if you're a wrestling character and you're on my television, I want to watch what you're doing.

Now my new dream match is Hulk Hogan vs. Mark Henry vs. Davey Richards in a three-way bout.  That way everyone else here would get angry and personally offended by its very existence, but for entirely different reasons.

Hogan is gross and wrecked and has shit tattoos. He offers nothing, and I enjoyed him even when he was beating Michaels and Orton.

About Mark Henry - he's someone I prefer to watch wrestling guys I don't care for (Orton, for instance) because I get to see them get wrecked. Put him in with someone I'm more of a fan of, and my enjoyment will be less than you might expect. The exception would be any time Henry and another big guy are set up in a Clash of the Titans style slugfest where they appear to be on even footing.

I'm a mark at heart, so unless both guys are compelling, I enjoy matches more when my guy isn't the subject of extended heat segments/beatdowns. Unless your name is Ziggler or Rollins, there's a limit to how entertaining constantly selling and stooging can be.