DVDVR Message Board

Over/under used moves

I've seen a few indies working in the "Edge of the Apron, the hardest part of the ring."

PWG had one of the Taylors in a striking match and Excalibur was asking "Do the strikes hurt more on the edge of the ring?"

FIP last week had some dudes taking bumps on the apron.

Gunner in TNA uses the torture rack.

Darren Young does the Northern Light suplex a lot but not as a finisher(he finishes with the Roderick Strong gutbuster move).  Think Owen finished with it for a little while before he started using the Sharpshooter.

Tyler Breeze(NXT) finishes with a really good spinning heel kick.

I cringe on any sort of throw into the corner; just seems like a head drop for the sake of a head drop.

The shoulder to the ringpost spot is still horribly overused, but not as bad as it was a few years ago. I swear I remember an episode of SD where it was in literally every match.

Underused is definitely good old knife-edge chops. No reason a few guys couldn't be dishing those out as signature strikes. 

Under WWE ordenence wrestlers are not allowed to do the knifehand chops anymore. Yes one of the "banned" moves as per Vince. 

I'm pretty sure I've seen Punk and Ambrose use them recently, but not with any regularity. Had no idea they were banned.

They were when Flair was in TNA, but I dunno if they still are.

The shoulder to the ringpost spot is still horribly overused, but not as bad as it was a few years ago. I swear I remember an episode of SD where it was in literally every match.

Underused is definitely good old knife-edge chops. No reason a few guys couldn't be dishing those out as signature strikes. 

Under WWE ordenence wrestlers are not allowed to do the knifehand chops anymore. Yes one of the "banned" moves as per Vince. 

I'm pretty sure I've seen Punk and Ambrose use them recently, but not with any regularity. Had no idea they were banned.

I thought that ban was just because Flair signed with TNA, and that it got lifted.  Michaels used them left and right anyways.

The other day I thought, hey, no one uses the Iron Claw anymore. Why not? It is one of those moves that only work with wrestling logic as a killer hold but it looks cool. I guess because of the Von Erich association it would probably be disallowed though.

Yeah that chop ban seemed to last about a week. 

I remember Ambrose using the chickenwing and it was indeed great. The problem with that is, per Bret's book, it's a legit hold that hurts like a bitch.

That makes a lot of sense, especially with the size of most wrestlers.  When I was doing jiu jitsu it was pointed out that a kimura is usually more effective on guys with bigger shoulder muscles, and the chicken wing is basically the same exact motion.  I now feel terrible for all those dudes that Bob Backlund, who is damn near supernaturally strong, was stretching like a rubber band.

I think the most overused is the flatliner variations. Before everyone puts over Bray Wyatt and he does it very good I can shoot off a few names and im sure im more. MVP, R Truth, Kanyon, Shelton Benjamin, Carlito i believe as well. And countless on the insy scene.

Bray Wyatt wears a fucking thumbguard.  His potential use of the criminally underloved Asian Spike / Icepick as a submission finisher is right there..

BOOK IT~!

And yeah, more heart punches.

Piledrivers are woefully underutilized in this day and age. See the Punk/Cena match where Punk busted it out from out of nowhere and the fans gasped in horror. Used sparingly, it's an absolute death move.

Bully Ray was using it as a death move in TNA.

Speaking of the claw didn't I see the Erick Rowan use it in one of the early tags he was in when they got called up? For a limited, green dude that could be effective.

And yeah the Asiatic Spike has to be coming. Wyatt can hold it past the bell like Mankind with the Mandible Claw and refs can try to peel him off only for his goons to destroy them. They can get some indy dude, put him in a ref outfit and let dude get murdered by Harper's lariat. Then you get Miz and Kane returning to save the day (god, don't you know that's coming... ugh). 

The other day I thought, hey, no one uses the Iron Claw anymore. Why not? It is one of those moves that only work with wrestling logic as a killer hold but it looks cool. I guess because of the Von Erich association it would probably be disallowed though.

It's a simple reason: It looks stupid.  Kane used it when he came back with his metal mask set-up, and it damn near killed the psychotic monster vibe he was going for.

And yeah the Asiatic Spike has to be coming. Wyatt can hold it past the bell like Mankind with the Mandible Claw and refs can try to peel him off only for his goons to destroy them. They can get some indy dude, put him in a ref outfit and let dude get murdered by Harper's lariat. Then you get Miz and Kane returning to save the day (god, don't you know that's coming... ugh). 

You know Miz and Kane are both back already, right? Kane's even turned heel again.

It's a simple reason: It looks stupid.  Kane used it when he came back with his metal mask set-up, and it damn near killed the psychotic monster vibe he was going for.

I know it looks stupid but it is a simple big man move. At least, someone use an Iron Claw STO, that can be a nasty nearfall move if they do it right.

I know it looks stupid but it is a simple big man move. At least, someone use an Iron Claw STO, that can be a nasty nearfall move if they do it right.

Tensai tried to use it but it just didn't have enough 'snap' to look good.I think Rowan/Harper using a Claw Bomb type move would work though. Need to get some elevation on it though. A straight STO isn't going to get over anymore I dont think.

Man I'm so sick of belly to back suplexes being reversed by having the guy escape by going over the executor's shoulder and landing on his feet. I just want a nice clean belly to back suplex!

I think someone needs to dust off Brian Adias "Oriental Tool". I mean turning the Asiatic Spike int oa pure strike move to the throat or temple was so genius I'm stunned no one thought of it sooner!

James

In the cash-in, Sandow was going for a Pile Driver at the end when he lost, right?

That was my thought as well. As he was setting up for it, I thought that would've been a great way to "make" him into a legit guy. Hits Cena with a death move and pins him. Oh well.