DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXIII - 8/23/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Again, the family Mysterio looks dumb. Why are we supposed to be mad at Seth? They choose the match stipulation, and he worked according to what the rules were, and they looked like idiots again.

The refresh rate for the cameras were way off this time. Of note we saw Pikachu, 2 scary clowns, a lady smoking, that great sign., and the return of stupid Sign Guy.

The Bray/Braun match, two questions:
1) What was Braun's endgame with the boxcutter/ring?
2) Was the match shortened possibly due to the Brodie Lee/Cody squash?

Roman's new grill looks stupid.

Edited by The Green Meanie

5 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Again, the family Mysterio looks dumb. Why are we supposed to be mad at Seth? They choose the match stipulation, and he worked according to what the rules were, and they looked like idiots again.

The refresh rate for the cameras were way off this time. Of note we saw Pikachu, 2 scary clowns, a lady smoking, that great sign., and the return of stupid Sign Guy.

The Bray/Braun match, two questions:
1) What was Braun's endgame with the boxcutter/ring?
2) Was the match shortened possibly due to the Brodie Lee/Cody squash?

Roman's new grill looks stupid.

Im guessing power slam on the wooden boards, or >through< the wooden boards?

• Like 1

I've never been so happy to see Roman back, aside from, you know, coming back from going into remission. And if the new mantra for him is to basically beat everyone's ass and be a real monster then I'm all in on that.

• Like 6

Poor Braun and Bray just have zero chemistry. And where the hell was Alexa? That match could've used a bit more gaga in terms of her involvement or the rumor I read where Bo was gonna return and be involved somehow. 

Thought they did a good job making Mandy Rose look credible. She's really gotten better. She's a good athlete and it's starting to show. Like Alexa, she was done no favors by developmental. 

I liked the McIntyre/Orton finish. Fun. 

Thought Andrade and Garza should've gone over. Dah well. 

Other thoughts other than Roman looking like a murderer, I thought the show was fine. The presentation, namely sound, was much better tonight than on SmackDown. Hopefully this carries through to Raw and SmackDown.

Drew vs Orton was pretty good, but I actually wound up liking Mandy vs Deville a lot as well. I'm really fucking bummer that creepers have basically forced Deville to leave wrestling for awhile. Fucking scumbag lowlifes. Anyway, Mandy and Deville both were working really well and Mandy has improved a lot.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought Dominic really sucked. Like, I thought he was barely above David Flair as far as in ring talent goes.

Braun and Bray sucked. I fucking hate this Fiend gimmick so much. My one hope with Roman back is that he basically straight up destroys the Fiend, rips his mask off, pins him, and then the Fiend is basically dead. Honestly, there's no reason to make Roman chase the title for long, but I have a feeling that's exactly what they'll do.

• Like 3

Andrade/Garza vs. Street Profits was solid though I wish Andrade/Garza had won.

Sonya/Mandy was just a nice solid brawl with them trying to beat the crap out of each other.

Bayley/Asuka was solid. Thought their previous match was better though I dug this one a decent bit and liked what it set up for later.

Sasha/Asuka was so darn good and built off of the earlier match with Bayley well. Damn though did these two do a few crazy bumps. 

Seth/Dominick was damn good and a fine debut for Dominick. Honestly its the most I have enjoyed Seth Rollins probably since he was in the Shield. He was a wonderful asshole, and Dominick made some great comebacks throughout. I only wish the Mysterio family actually go their revenge though I sort of understand why not.

Drew/Randy was another fine match and easily the best match from Drew this year.

Fiend/Braun was ok for a bit, then just kind of there. The highlight was pretty easily the post match with Roman's return. Roman was just a tremendous badass and shit talking throughout the whole beat down. I don;t care if he is a heel or a face. I just want this to be the Roman we get form now on. That shirt should be exactly what he does.

Thought this was solid-good show overall. 

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

Well the COVID era will finally allow them to do whatever they want to do with Roman regardless of crowd reactions - since there are none now.

The irony of this being the fact that what they did with Roman tonight was what they should have been doing with Roman the last 4-5 years.

• Like 2

I thought the show was ok but my expectations for Covid-era WWE are basically non-existent at this point.

Both of the women's title matches were good and went about like I expected. With Bayley and Sasha defending their tag titles at the next show, I'm assuming they lose the belts due to some miscue leading to Sasha going after Bayley's title.

The tag match was fine but just kinda there.

I Didn't really pay attention to Sonya/Mandy

Even with the stipulation putting up some smoke and mirrors and Rollins trying his best, Mysterio III was pretty bad. I get that he's green hell, but he had the skill of the average backyard scrub. Is there any word on who has been training him and for how long? This would have been a lot better as a tag match between Los Myserios and Rollins/Murphy. That's probably coming later though.

Orton/McIntyre was probably my favorite match of the night, even though I don't care for Orton in the slightest. I'm just glad McIntyre was able to retain as Orton takes up enough tv time as it is.

When the Wyatts debuted on the main roster I was all in on them and liked Bray's ringwork more than most. Over the years there have been continuous boneheaded booking decisions and needless re-inventions of his gimmick to the point where I just can't bring myself to care about anything he does. A few of the funhouse segments have been amusing but The Fiend gimmick has been DOA from the getgo for me. This match was very mediocre, especially considering most of the matches tonight had no DQ stips. It's good to see Roman back, but we'll see if he gets any sort of decent booking.

26 minutes ago, just drew said:

Poor Braun and Bray just have zero chemistry. And where the hell was Alexa?

Or Otis. I know kayfabe-wise he's still wanting the tag team titles, but the chance was right there.

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Sonya/Mandy was just a nice solid brawl with them trying to beat the crap out of each other.

I thought it was good also, minus Sonya laughing at the end.

Edited by The Green Meanie

What I loved about Rose/Deville was that they didn't fucking lock up at the beginning. So many grudge matches start with a collar and elbow and it makes no sense. I would have reversed who went for the flash pin right off the hop, Sonya should want to hurt Mandy, not get a quick win. While Mandy should want to try and end it quickly so that she can avoid hurting her friend.

22 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Damn though did these two do a few crazy bumps. 

I think that's great in a show like this.  Generally speaking I think big bumps and spots that you might not normally attempt should be reserved for the big shows..  when the title and everything is on the line.  

When I see a couple people busting out stuff on weekly TV I'm like come on...   

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I Didn't really pay attention to Sonya/Mandy

Man it was pretty good. I had high hopes for it and they almost got there..  of course I was looking forward to hair vs. hair but this was fine too. 

I hope Sonya can eventually come back.  Both her and Mandy have improved so much and I started saying that probably around the time where they were battling Bayley/Sasha in the chamber match for the women's tag titles. 

They both have a bright future and this fucking asshole tried to take it from them.  I hope he never gets out of prison. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Welcome back Roman. Dug his tweener presentation and dude was doing some serious keto while he was out, Jesus. 

Solid but not blowaway show, as expected. 

He's not a good tweener. He's not a bad tweener. He's just in twain.