DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

Watching the 66 Batman episodes on IFC has reminded me how much I really love that take on the character, and how it probably shaped my moral compass in syndication in the 80s as much as Captain America comics did, when it comes to me growing up without too strong religious leanings. I'm not at all interested in the current DC movie stuff, but at the same time, I can just ignore it for the most part. It feels reallybelow my notice.

We're most of the way through Arrow season 1. Roy just showed up. It's amazing how dumb a lot of the characters are but the balance between the villain of the week and the ongoing plot is good enough that I can kind of forgive that. Diggle is far and away the best character in the show. The only change that REALLY bugs me is Fryers, because it just makes no sense. Wintergreen is annoying but I get why they did that. Why keep him named Fryers if he's not a Hunter S Thompson burnout type, but instead a pompous foreign sounding dude. Very weird.

Watching the 66 Batman episodes on IFC has reminded me how much I really love that take on the character, and how it probably shaped my moral compass in syndication in the 80s as much as Captain America comics did, when it comes to me growing up without too strong religious leanings. I'm not at all interested in the current DC movie stuff, but at the same time, I can just ignore it for the most part. It feels reallybelow my notice.

We're most of the way through Arrow season 1. Roy just showed up. It's amazing how dumb a lot of the characters are but the balance between the villain of the week and the ongoing plot is good enough that I can kind of forgive that. Diggle is far and away the best character in the show. The only change that REALLY bugs me is Fryers, because it just makes no sense. Wintergreen is annoying but I get why they did that. Why keep him named Fryers if he's not a Hunter S Thompson burnout type, but instead a pompous foreign sounding dude. Very weird.

I love Diggle too, but they kinda bug me with every episode having the "Diggle gives Ollie "the talk" gimmick.

Yeah Diggle gives Ollie the talk and then Ollie saves Diggle from getting beatdown by a super villain. 

Like I said before, there are a ton of overused tropes in the show, but I honestly find them to be kind of endearing.  The above mentioned Diggle/Ollie scenarios, Det Lance having a heart to heart with Laurel, phone calls/texts interrupting EVERYTHING.  There is also the increasingly less common Lance begrudgingly asking The Arrow for help, Ollie having stern moments with Felicity, and Ollie having the life or death moment where he has to expose his secret.

Yeah you're right about all of those tropes but as you said its enjoyable. On top of that I love the amount of detail there is in the show if you're a comic fan. They also seem to be ok with using newer villains. As someone else mentioned he hardly ever if ever absolutely finishes off a villain there is always a chance for them to come back. All that being said I just can't buy into Merlyn. He doesn't look anything like a bad ass and so far he hasn't portrayed an interesting character at all. 

Season 2, episode 15 of Arrow called "The Promise", is by far my favorite of the series so far.  No use of "The Arrow" at all in the episode, just all this incredible tension with Slade.  I love it.  Loved most of episode 14 as well, especially the reveal of the pilots daughter at the end.  The show has me hooked.  I hope The Flash is this good.

Sorry for the double post, but I've completed season 2 of Arrow and holy fuck I love this show now.  The last 8 or so episodes were just awesome with all the Deathstroke stuff.  They KINDA redeemed Laurel by the end too.  Very interested in the stuff set up for season 3.

BvS has been moved up to March 25, 2016

Update: Warner Bros. Pictures has now mapped out a massive schedule of DC Comics properties! They’re reporting that mystery DC Comics films are set for release on: 

August 5, 2016 
June 23, 2017 
November 11, 2017 
March 23, 2018 
July 27, 2018 
April 5, 2019 
June 14, 2019 
April 3, 2020 
and 
June 19, 2020

They’ve also scheduled “event” films (i.e., not necessarily DC Comics related) for: 
November 16, 2018 
and 
November 20, 2020.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/311851-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-moves-to-march-25-2016#/slide/1

Isn't March an odd time for a "blockbuster" action flick?  I don't pay a whole lot of attention to these things.  Is March a good month for high profile movies?  I expected them to move it but to a different date in summer or maybe the Christmas holiday season.  Jan and Feb are kinda dumping grounds for "bad" films, aren't they?

Odd.

It used to be, but it's increasingly becoming part of "blockbuster season." CAP 2 opened the first week of April last year and obviously did very well. I think one of the latter entries in the FAST & FURIOUS franchise opened in that window and did really well, also. Snyder's own 300 opened in March and killed it, as well.

Yeah, outside abandoned, terrible summer movies dumped in February, anything is open game these days. Lots of Oscar bait comes out in January, for example (after a limited run to qualify in December)

• Like 1

Isn't March an odd time for a "blockbuster" action flick?  I don't pay a whole lot of attention to these things.  Is March a good month for high profile movies?  I expected them to move it but to a different date in summer or maybe the Christmas holiday season.  Jan and Feb are kinda dumping grounds for "bad" films, aren't they?

Odd.

Could be Easter/Spring Break?