DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

Rupert Murdoch tried to buy Warner for $80 billion, he was denied but apparently wants to try again.

Some people were like OH MAN THEY CAN MAKE WOLVERINE VS BATMAN but that seems like something that would require Marvel's permission.

FOX taking control of the DC Universe sounds terrifying. 

I honestly think people should be more worried about one company having a local TV station in nearly every Market in the country, sometimes two or three.  I don't really care who controls fictional characters.

• Like 2

Rupert Murdoch tried to buy Warner for $80 billion, he was denied but apparently wants to try again.

Some people were like OH MAN THEY CAN MAKE WOLVERINE VS BATMAN but that seems like something that would require Marvel's permission.

FOX taking control of the DC Universe sounds terrifying. 

No, FOX taking control of everything Time Warner currently has (TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network, HBO, 50% of CW, Two more News Stations in HLN and CNN, plus the entirety of Warner Bros) is a way more terrifying.

I don't really care who controls fictional characters.

Yeah, I don't believe that for a second.

I don't really care which GIANT CORPORATION controls fictional characters.  My apologies

Started on Arrow. I do get a kick out of all the creator names Easter Eggs.

Just finished season 1 myself.  Really digging it.  First few episodes were pretty bad, but really picked up.  There were a ton of stupid tropes throughout the series, but I was able to forgive it since the acting is generally pretty good, and the action scenes are extremely well done.  I'm kinda pissed that Hulu Plus only has 5 episodes up from season 2, and that I had to use "alternate means" to get the whole season.

He's been attached to that project on-and-off for years, though the indication was usually that he would be playing Teth-Adam rather than the hero. Assuming they pick a kid of similar ethnicity to play Billy, we are in for a total shitstorm from idiot fans since this would be the first time a title character gets diversified rather than a villain or supporting cast.

Also, we are now on Page 52 of this thread, which means someone is probably about to lose an arm in a two-page spread.

So the legal logic (procedure?) of Season 2 of Arrow is just bafflingly bad. The idea that Laurel would not be immediately forced to recuse herself, let alone forced to take the lead on the case when she WANTS to let someone else do it, just completely broke my brain especially when Ollie kept talking to her socially.

• Like 1

He's been attached to that project on-and-off for years, though the indication was usually that he would be playing Teth-Adam rather than the hero. Assuming they pick a kid of similar ethnicity to play Billy, we are in for a total shitstorm from idiot fans since this would be the first time a title character gets diversified rather than a villain or supporting cast.

I dunno, I could see that happening if it were a lesser known actor but Rock's such a beloved megastar I don't think people give a shit who he plays as long as they get to see badass action scenes. 

I dunno, I could see that happening if it were a lesser known actor but Rock's such a beloved megastar I don't think people give a shit who he plays as long as they get to see badass action scenes.
I just don't see Rock as Captain Marvel and the fact that he'd be an AWESOME Black Adam makes it even more of a bad casting idea to me. Shit, the guy who looks the most like Cap is Adam Corolla, and that's dumb too. What do I know? I just want a perfect Captain Marvel flick and honestly, it should be animated.

I agree Rock would be eons better as Black Adam, but DC's gonna want to use him in multiple movies. Unless they go the Loki route, and slowly turn Black Adam into a sort-of hero.

So the legal logic (procedure?) of Season 2 of Arrow is just bafflingly bad. The idea that Laurel would not be immediately forced to recuse herself, let alone forced to take the lead on the case when she WANTS to let someone else do it, just completely broke my brain especially when Ollie kept talking to her socially.

I'm starting to see why everyone shits on this character so bad.  She is beyond awful.

You have to kind of close your eyes and ignore the Laurel parts of S2. Her character wanders in and out of plotlines and changes characterization literally every few weeks. It's painfully obvious they don't have actual use for her but feel obligated to shoehorn her into the series wherever they can. I get the sense it's another Batista deal where they promised her she'd be booked as a star only for see her to get totally eclipsed by a fan favorite scrappy underdog - "scrappy underdog" in this case being a crazy hot blonde.

• Like 1

You have to kind of close your eyes and ignore the Laurel parts of S2. Her character wanders in and out of plotlines and changes characterization literally every few weeks. It's painfully obvious they don't have actual use for her but feel obligated to shoehorn her into the series wherever they can. I get the sense it's another Batista deal where they promised her she'd be booked as a star only for see her to get totally eclipsed by a fan favorite scrappy underdog - "scrappy underdog" in this case being a crazy hot blonde.

Well, if we are talking Black Canary, I'm just now getting to her stuff.  She's eclipsed by every major female on the show, honestly.  Thea, Canary, Felicity and even Huntress add so much more.  Laurel served her purpose in season 1 just fine, but so far on the 5th episode of S2, she's horribly unlikeable, and makes me feel like she didn't deserve Ollie or Tommy.

Btw, I just love Felicity so much.

I thought Laurel was terribly written in most of S2, but I think its kind of ridiculous to claim she was shoehorned into a plots and stories that involve her friends and family. She makes sense to be there and has a few ok parts. They just fumbled badly in her general character journey.

Bearing in mind I'm only up to episode 7:

Laurel is brand new to being a prosecutor, having spent her entire legal career on the defense side to this point. She's involved in a mass murder case in which her boyfriend was one of the victims and her ex's mom is the defendant. She DOESN'T make sense to be there in that context, because it's a massive breach of legal ethics to let her within ten miles of that case, let alone for Spencer to force her to take over the case when Donner goes down. It's STUPID. It's not even "TV Law", it's the kind of thing that belies such a fundamental lack of understanding as to undermine the entire story from a dramatic perspective (and I'm hoping that her 'blowing' the case will hurt her within the DA's office, even if she only lost because Merlyn threatened the jury.) And it feels like her entire career change was just to put her in that position, which makes things WORSE. I've enjoyed a lot of this series, but jesus shit that was the kind of thing you feed writers to the sharks for.

• Like 3