DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

My daughter wanted to watch a "Batman" movie tonight and so I asked her which one and she picked the Joker. So we watched TDK and since I've seen this movie so many times and I really wanted to finish my season of Arrow tonight with a six episode binge watch I wasn't that interested in the movie. A few scenes I never understood.

When Lucius goes to China and he leaves his cell phone with security. He has another cell phone on him, it goes off, the guy gets upset and he just turns it down. I guess my first question would be if the guy freaks out about him having a cell phone and he's not supposed to have it why would he be allowed to just shuffle it right back into his pocket? Secondly when he comes back down stairs to get his phone the guy tries to give him the other phone and he shows he has his phone. I always understood this to be because he wanted that phone to stay put there so they can do the blackout thing. However why would he need a second phone to get that point across? Just tell the guy thats not your phone and move on with your business. 

Earlier of course in the movie the sky hook guy flies Bruce Wayne presumably into China. How in the hell would a guy from Arizona fly some random ass plane into CHINA and drop off Bruce Wayne. How would another guy or the same guy I'm not real clear then fly back into China and not only pick him up but pick him up as BATMAN? 

I think my other complaint is that the Joker makes this big deal about unmasking Batman and a large part of the movie is built around the whole "killing someone every day until you unmask" only for him to turn around and say he DOESN'T want him unmasked. I understand its the Joker and all it just felt like a strange twist in the movie that I never fully enjoyed. Of course going back and watching this movie its really fucking long. The first 3/4 of the movie outside of the weird China scene for me it feels like every scene is important and it doesn't drag. Then seemingly right after the big explosion thats where the movie starts to lose me. It feels like after that the Joker almost becames second banana. He turns Harvey which I get is a big deal and then thats kinda it. He has an anti climatic fight with Batman and then we get 20 minutes of Two Face. For my money I would have liked to see things go a different way after the explosion. 

Anyway these are the things you think about when you watch a movie hundreds of times. Just random questions

My daughter wanted to watch a "Batman" movie tonight and so I asked her which one and she picked the Joker. So we watched TDK and since I've seen this movie so many times and I really wanted to finish my season of Arrow tonight with a six episode binge watch I wasn't that interested in the movie. A few scenes I never understood.

Any of my kids ever want to watch a Batman movie and they're getting the 60s one. And they'll like it, dammit.

• Like 1

Why did Keaton stop being Batman after "Returns?"

Supposedly, he was unhappy Burton wasn't directing Batman Forever and thought the script was too silly (*cough* hardtoarguewiththatone *cough cough*)

• Like 2

I think Diggler gets treated like shit. You got Black Canary, you got Arrow, you got even Laurel who does bad ass fighting moves of her own and then you got Special Forces Diggler. Who is ALWAYS in trouble and to the best of my knowledge has never bested a single villian. I love the guy but I'm not sure what purpose he serves when he's playing special forces in distress all the time. Also the chick playing Black Canary is maybe the least attractive woman on the show including Moria. 

I have one episode left and I feel like this Slade thing has draaaaaaged. I felt like watching Ollie sign over his CEO status to Isabel was like watching Sting getting turned on by ANOTHER of his best friends. You've seen it coming since the first scene. 

I don't think he treats her like shit but she acts like a love sick puppy around him constantly. 

I think a tough part of this story is that Ollie broke up with Laurel to sleep with her SISTER who then DIED as far as anyone knew while they were running off on a boat to sleep together. 

So then he comes back home and even though I can't imagine an earth where not only to you sleep with a girls sister but she DIES while she's with you that you could ever date the other sister again. But here he is sleeping with her just months seemingly after returning to Starling City. THEN surprise the sister is here again and he starts sleeping with THAT sister again. 

I have not seen the ending of the season but I'm betting that The Black Canary dies and they start back up the Laurel love story again. Its the thing I like least about the show. They wrote themselves into a corner making Ollie commit some pretty disgusting acts in his "previous life". It takes a lot away from the show in my opinion. I guess they just aren't very good about being subtle that Ollie is gods gift to women with three women constantly falling over themselves for him on this show. Maybe thats where the CW aspect of this show comes into play because outside of that its really not like the other CW shows. 

No, where they wrote themselves into a corner is they cast a bland, lousy actress as Laurel with the grand plan that she'll take up the Canary mantle and emerge as Ollie's great love. Then they cast another girl as Sara who is a way more interesting character, has more charisma with Ollie, and is way way way hotter. So now the only way they can really implement their grand plan is to kill off the character most fans of the show like in order to push one most fans absolutely cannot stand.

• Like 1

I don't think that Sara is way hotter than Laurel but I agree she's a lot more interesting. I still maintain that even for me a guy who doesn't really give a shit about the love triangle its hard for me to get behind Laurel wanting anything to do with him what so ever outside of a possible acquaintance friendship. I mean he left her to cheat on her with her sister and while doing that as far as she knew she died. I cannot imagine how in the world anyone would want to get behind someone willing to forget ALL of that and begin sleeping with him just months after he pops back up and pretty much from the get go the writers start pushing the dialogue in a "will they or won't they" way. I agree she's the way better character but I don't think she's more attractive. In fact I think that out of Felicity, Thea, Laurel, Sara and even Moria hell even Digglers gf that Sara is the least attractive girl on the show. I don't like whatever the fuck they did with Laurel's hair though they made it blonde or some shit. 

I agree that the Slade thing dragged toward the end, but the last episode was a return to form.

How does Ollie treat Felicity like shit?

I just finished the series marathon style so it is all fresh for me. He constantly barks orders at her and when shit goes bad she usually is the one getting yelled at. Then he acts like a jealous lover when Barry Allen shows up but won't give her the time of day otherwise.

No, where they wrote themselves into a corner is they cast a bland, lousy actress as Laurel with the grand plan that she'll take up the Canary mantle and emerge as Ollie's great love. Then they cast another girl as Sara who is a way more interesting character, has more charisma with Ollie, and is way way way hotter. So now the only way they can really implement their grand plan is to kill off the character most fans of the show like in order to push one most fans absolutely cannot stand.

How many fans actually dislike Laurel? Last time I saw a random poll most still preferred her with Ollie than Sara with Ollie. And I don't blame the actress so much as the bad writing of the character for a good chunk of S2. Also if I'm being honest Ollie had way more chemistry with Shado and Felicity than he did with Sara or Laurel. Sara had more chemistry with Nyssa than she did Ollie. Also they avoided the pitfall of killing Sara off for now so I'm not sure why you are worried there.

I don't think that Sara is way hotter than Laurel but I agree she's a lot more interesting. I still maintain that even for me a guy who doesn't really give a shit about the love triangle its hard for me to get behind Laurel wanting anything to do with him what so ever outside of a possible acquaintance friendship. I mean he left her to cheat on her with her sister and while doing that as far as she knew she died. I cannot imagine how in the world anyone would want to get behind someone willing to forget ALL of that and begin sleeping with him just months after he pops back up and pretty much from the get go the writers start pushing the dialogue in a "will they or won't they" way. I agree she's the way better character but I don't think she's more attractive. In fact I think that out of Felicity, Thea, Laurel, Sara and even Moria hell even Digglers gf that Sara is the least attractive girl on the show. I don't like whatever the fuck they did with Laurel's hair though they made it blonde or some shit. 

Ollie didn't leave Laurel to date Sara. He cheated on Laurel with Sara pretty much as self-sabotage as he wasn't ready for commitment. She wasn't even aware of them dating until after Moira revealed Sara was on the boat to the family. Again though your statements do go to my point of the bad writing for Laurel's character. She forgot and forgave way too easily.

How many fans actually dislike Laurel? Last time I saw a random poll most still preferred her with Ollie than Sara with Ollie. And I don't blame the actress so much as the bad writing of the character for a good chunk of S2. Also if I'm being honest Ollie had way more chemistry with Shado and Felicity than he did with Sara or Laurel. Sara had more chemistry with Nyssa than she did Ollie. Also they avoided the pitfall of killing Sara off for now so I'm not sure why you are worried there.

Ollie didn't leave Laurel to date Sara. He cheated on Laurel with Sara pretty much as self-sabotage as he wasn't ready for commitment. She wasn't even aware of them dating until after Moira revealed Sara was on the boat to the family. Again though your statements do go to my point of the bad writing for Laurel's character. She forgot and forgave way too easily.

Yeah and thats where I was with it, not only did she forget and forgive but now he's banging her sister again and I'm a million percent sure that they will wind up getting back together. So then he will have double dipped the sisters TWICE and be on his third round. I agree its just bad writing of her character and maybe bad writing to have them hook up at all. Or even him hook up with Sara again. I think a long road to redemption showing that he's a changed guy, etc etc and THEN they get back together but even then I'd be all like "why are you with the guy that cheated on you with his sister" I would think that would be a top three unforgivable offense and especially in the world of television it would be impossible for me to have sympathy for that character or even root for that character. Anyway all that bitching aside I was highly enjoying these bad guys of the week storylines. 

So they have never really made any effort to make the Count a credible threat for more than one episode at a time (when he could have easily carried an entire season as the big bad) and with Slade I'm assuming going to die that leaves what Merlin again as the big bad? I don't think I know of a single credible villian outside of the Count, Merlyn and Deathstroke. So having made one a jobber, killed one, and last I checked atleast making one more of an anti hero than straight up villian I'm curious to see where else they go with this. I'm assuming Merlyn will be the big bad again in Season 3 unless there is some other big bad that I don't know Arrow has. 

I assuming they go a new route for top villain, another metahuman perhaps. If you are referring to Count Vertigo by the way I thought he was pretty damn terrible and not remotely a credible threat, especially in comparison to Slade and Merlyn.

a4PPong.jpg

There's also a giant Superman statue being built.

We know that Warner Bros Pictures is way behind Marvel Studios when it comes to making movies out of its comic book properties. But I have intel on what is coming up at this July’s  Comic-Con from the studio. A lot of stuff remains in flux  but my sources have so far:

May 2016 – Batman v Superman
July 2016 – Shazam
Xmas 2016 – Sandman
May 2017 – Justice League
July 2017 – Wonder Woman
Xmas 2017 – Flash and Green Lantern team-up
May 2018 – Man Of Steel 2

There had been talk of a Metal Men and Suicide Squad movie for sometime in 2016 but that project fell off the schedule.

Meanwhile, if you were wondering why Batman v Superman was delayed, it wasn’t the script or Ben Affleck or Jesse Eisenberg but with the fact that this pic will act as a launching pad for the Justice League. According to my source, “Like Marvel’s The Avengers, there will be cameos of superheroes for future installments. The cameos will include the already known Cyborg and Flash. Green Lantern [not played by Ryan Reynolds, thank god] may be introduced.  And Aquaman will be seen in the Justice League movie. Problem is, Warner Bros Pictures was still negotiating with the actors for those cameos and future roles, meaning major contracts for multiple JL/character films to follow. The studio didn’t want to move forward until they had more of this secure so they held off starting production for a few months. Seemingly simple reason, but the implications are pretty darn huge.”

http://nikkifinke.com/comic-con/

It probably cames down to two things: 1) Snyder is too busy to commit to doing a Batman movie and/or 2) Affleck already had pushed stuff back to do back-to-back films. If the rewrite was to make the film more Batman centric, then you don't have worry about doing another film just yet.