DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

All jokes aside, I think this is more a factor of WB realizing what we were talking about in this thread during Comic Con: Two years is too damn long for this movie to come out.

Granted, a bump from May to March isn't a huge difference, but it does shorten the window for how long they have to keep this hype train rolling while they have, literally, nothing else between now and then. Obviously, the holiday season of 2015 would be the optimum time, but that's already fairly well staked-out by the last HUNGER GAMES movie and this little thing called STAR WARS.

*If* JJ Abrams can get Disney to move Star Wars to May 2016 like he wants, don't be surprised if WB bumps BvS into that spot.

• Like 1

I also think moving BvS to March gives them more time to focus on marketing whatever that August movie is going to be. A Shazam movie with Rock seems to be everybody's guess, but whatever it is, it's going to pale in comparison to BvS and need all the help it can get.

An "event" movie opening in less than 2 years that hasn't even been named yet? Suuuure.

"There's no way DC is blinking! It's only Captain America 3!"

BWAH-HA-HA

I will be in here when it makes more than Captain America. I hope you will show your face so we can all laugh.

If combining the two best known comic book characters of all-time, and throwing in several more DC characters, only accomplishes "beating a Captain America solo movie worldwide" then we can stop thinking there is a battle.

(BvS: Incredibly Bad Title is going to do HUGE business, but this certainly looks like they saw a Talking Tree and Raccoon do 94 million in August and blinked.)

• Like 2

Superman as a character was severely damaged over the last decade plus in comics and including Superman Returns which audiences hated. They couldn't move past the Donner era and Superman stopped being "cool" to the younger generation. It's amazing how Snyder was able to turn damaged goods into nearly $700M worldwide. It doubled what Batman Begins did (another character who was damaged by a couple REALLY terrible movies that preceded it). If Man of Steel can do that there is no reason for me to believe that this team up doesn't go over a billion.

Also, what you just said is a far different tune you were singing a couple years ago. You had no problem comparing Avengers to a Batman solo movie and if it wasn't for the theater shooting, Batman would have equaled the entire MCU by himself.

My only rooting interest here is "better movies" which Marvel has been destroying DC in.  As I stress often when you go off on these tangents, I like Superman more than virtually every character Marvel has (maybe *maybe* I like Daredevil more.) 

But do you honestly think if the Aurora shooting hadn't happened, DKR makes an extra 175 million domestically?  And surely you can't be arguing it would have made an extra 260 million foreign.

(Son of a bitch, Box Office Mojo apparently went down as I was writing this.  Time to find a different website for a minute.)

On to the "Man of Steel did double Batman Begins" thing, because it's one of those things that are technically true, but deeply misleading.  First, inflation jumps Batman Begins worldwide take up an extra 70 million or so in 2013 dollars, so we are no longer at "more than double" but quite a bit under doubling.  Second, and much more importantly, Man of Steel did significantly better internationally because the foreign box office does significantly better overall now.  This is the single biggest trend in blockbuster film-making today, and ignoring it renders an argument pointless.  Big blockbusters get more screens and more advertising in foreign markets now, and as a result do more business.  In the end, Man of Steel was a solid box office performer.  Not a runaway freight train of success, but solid.  I fully expect BvS to be a much, much bigger hit, just because of the addition of Batman.  I don't expect it to do as much business as Age of Ultron, but I wouldn't be utterly shocked if it does.

I just hope it's a hell of a lot better than the last three movies DC has put out, and can maybe approach the quality of things like Winter Solider, GotG, or Iron Man 3.

(Oh, and Superman Returns is so much better of a movie than Man of Steel it's laughable.)

• Like 2

If combining the two best known comic book characters of all-time, and throwing in several more DC characters, only accomplishes "beating a Captain America solo movie worldwide" then we can stop thinking there is a battle.

(BvS: Incredibly Bad Title is going to do HUGE business, but this certainly looks like they saw a Talking Tree and Raccoon do 94 million in August and blinked.)

I'll place money that this movie won't top the Raccoon and Tree in the "fun movie" department.

Edit:  Oh, and me and Fowler have always had the same opinions on MoS.  I'd watch Returns 10 times over before I watched MoS.  No way this movie pulls in $1B.

Your opinion, Fowler, does not match the Rotten Tomatoes audience who did not like Superman Returns nearly as much as Man of Steel. You carry on as if everyone agrees with you. It's an opinion, dude. I don't care to argue about the quality of movies because while I did really enjoy Winter Soldier I felt Iron Man 3 was one of the worst comic films to date. you and I will never agree on that. I'm not surprised you have that opinion though because many people cannot move on from the Donner era. It's something that some Superman fans haven't been able to accept.

How is Marvel destroying DC in quality films again? Did DC not just put out the Batman trilogy which is about as highly praised as you will see in this genre? I don't know what you're talking about..  Green Lantern? Yeah, that sucked. Marvel's batting average isn't 100% either..

DC hasn't had nearly the volume as Marvel, either.  They've put out, what, 6 major movies in the last 10 years?  TDK Trilogy, Returns, MoS and Lantern?  Of those 6 movies, The Dark Knight is the only one where you will find almost no one who didn't like it.  I'd say Marvel IS winning the motion picture war, but that's mostly due to volume.  Most of those movies are extremely well received too.

Also, I'm with Niners....Iron Man 3 was buttcheeks.

Green Lantern, Dark Knight Rises, and Man of Steel were all, imo, significantly worse than Iron Man 3.

(Also, since you love audience scores, Iron Man 3 has better audience scores at RT, Metacritic, and IMDB than Man of Steel.)

Obviously I'm talking about my opinion, and I'm well aware people don't agree with me.  Difference is, I don't get massively offended about it.

I don't even dislike Marvel Studios..  How could I? I think this whole thing is hilarious. I loved the first Iron Man, I loved Avengers when it came out, I loved Winter Solider.  For me, I often land on the other side of this argument because the people who believe Marvel can do no wrong are just tough to take. The studio has put out some tremendous movies and they've also put out some crap..   Lets call it how it is.

The Batman trilogy is critically acclaimed yet there are some on here who scream until they are blue in the face that it sucks. I mean, come on.. Fowler rants about RT scores and audience feedback all the time but when it comes to TDKR..  the damn thing is what, 88% on RT? and the audience is 90% approval :lol:

We had the same issues with the X-Men movies. People shit on the costume designs, they bitched about Marvel not having the rights back and what happens..  DoFP is sitting at 92% at RT and all of a sudden you don't hear anything about "FOX is ruining my childhood!! argh!" 

I'm with you on Iron Man 3. I consider it the worst of the Marvel films to date, and it's the only one I don't own on blu-ray. Yes folks, I liked The Incredible Hulk more. I know a lot of people consider TIH the worst marvel film but I like it. 

I think we can all agree however that Green Lantern blew ass.

Except nobody on here bitched about the movie quality of X-Men, just that they wanted the connected universe.  Which has been explained to every time you bring it up.

And, yes, The Dark Knight is a very good movie, with massive audience and critical acclaim.  The Dark Knight Rises is much more polarizing (and god the first two acts are bad.  The last act is as good as anything ever done in a comic film, but it's brutal getting there.)

Man of Steel was critically meh, and got lower audience approval than most of Marvel's output (it is above Iron Man 2 and Incredible Hulk, but those are the two films from Marvel studios that are generally considered the worst.  Quick double check, it's about dead even with Thor and Thor 2.)

So, again, I'm talking about myself here:  The Donner version needed to go.  No argument.  But throwing Superman out the window completely was not the right response.  The movie just doesn't work for me on several levels, although there are things I liked a lot in it (most notably Amy Adams giving the best version of Lois Lane not in a comic book ever.  A lesser performance there, and I'd downgrade the movie from "bad" to "fucking terrible.")  Some of the action sequences are jaw dropping in their scope and construction (Snyder is the best in the business at doing such scenes, except for those rare moments Cameron decides to make a damn movie.)  But Lord is David Goyer the wrong person to right Superman.  Holy fuck is he ever.   

I've talked about MoS on here probably as much as I've discussed wrestling so I don't want to get into it again but man.. if you watch the final act again, it's really Zod who causing all the damage as he is throwing Superman through the buildings, etc..  But Again, I don't want to get into it... that's the main complaint people had but why no such complaint when Stark is cracking jokes while Manhattan is buried in rubble?   :lol:

Green Lantern sucked. No issue there. It was fucking awful.

Fowler, how is The Dark Knight Rises polarizing? Who are all these people that didn't like it? I know you didn't but it seems to have some pretty high scores everywhere..

I've talked about MoS on here probably as much as I've discussed wrestling so I don't want to get into it again but man.. if you watch the final act again, it's really Zod who causing all the damage as he is throwing Superman through the buildings, etc..  But Again, I don't want to get into it... that's the main complaint people had but why no such complaint when Stark is cracking jokes while Manhattan is buried in rubble?   :lol:

Green Lantern sucked. No issue there. It was fucking awful.

Fowler, how is The Dark Knight Rises polarizing? Who are all these people that didn't like it? I know you didn't but it seems to have some pretty high scores everywhere..

1. I don't want to get deeply into it either, but I can answer the second half quickly:  Tony Stark is an asshole, Clark Kent is (or is supposed to be) the literal representation of everything that is right and good about humanity.  Plus, Cap went out of his way to get civilians out of the area.  :)

2. You know how sometimes a director's cut can really improve a bad movie?  Green Lantern's....  just makes it last longer.

3. Maybe it's just the people I know personally, but pretty much every friend I have that's talked about it has been "it was okay, but I wanted it to be better."  Like, that's the general consensus I've gotten from everyone I know.  And I've had a ton of people say it was boring.  Also had a couple people walk out of the theater I was in when I saw it.  And the reviews are mostly positive, but nowhere near as much as it's predecessor.  And their are multiple people on this board who disliked it more than I did.  Hell, ultimately, I didn't even dislike it the first time (gave it a 3.5/5 on RT) although when I rewatched it, the parts I already found boring the first time were absolutely insufferable until I gave up and hit fast-forward about 45-50 minutes in and skipped to the parts that don't suck.

You know what I have the hardest time forgiving DKR for (despite it being in the good part of the movie)?

That damn cribbed shot from The Crow (that DD has already cribbed) with the logo on fire.  Because I refuse to believe Bruce stopped and took the time to paint gasoline on the fucking bridge and start the first instead of starting to save people first.  In The Crow, Eric had all the time in the world, and wasn't saving people (at that point) just murdering the people who killed Shelly.  And in DD...  it was pretty stupid, but at least New York wasn't under a terrorist bomb threat/supervillain control/cut off from the rest of the country.