DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

Oh, I've seen some people criticizing it sure.. but it's still very well received overall..   I didn't think it was anywhere close to Batman Begins or The Dark Knight but it was solid.

I know I said Stark.. but weren't they pretty much all cracking jokes like five minutes after the battle concludes? I don't even care, I just bring it up because people seem to think Superman didn't care about humans. Meanwhile, he's saving humans throughout the entire film..  Why would he be saving people for two hours if his opinion was "you know what, fuck humans.."

I don't know.

Oh, I've seen some people criticizing it sure.. but it's still very well received overall..  

Yet, people seem more (at least IMO) venomous towards TDKR's problems than those of MoS (lack of levity, shaky cam, color palette, building destruction, narrative). Maybe because people were/are more emotionally invested in Nolan's Batman and were disappointed, but the claws are definitely out two years after the fact.

Building destruction is probably the dumbest thing to be complaining about considering every blockbuster for the past 20 years is all about it...  The Aliens blew up half the fucking planet in ID4 but who gave a shit?  Will Smith being a badass, cracking jokes, saving the world and smoking cigars after the fact... Fine with me. None of these films are Best Picture material, The Dark Knight included.. They are really really good now for what they are.. Winter Solider too but they are still not really Oscar worthy.. so have fun with it. That's what they are supposed to be. Fun.

• Like 1

My biggest problems with Man of Steel are tone and the utter lack of self-agency on Clark's part.

His failure to even try to protect civilians after he gets the costume is below both of those, but it bugged me as I was watching it, and still does.

(I actually like a lot of the first two acts of that movie, but right about the time Superman lets Jonathan Kent die in a tornado, I pretty much went "fuck this stupid movie, these people don't have a goddamn clue who Superman is." Christ, I'm getting mad again just remembering that fucking god awful moment.  Kevin Costner was sooooo good as Jonathan, too, only to have the script destroy the character right there.)

I've always been able to wash over the destruction of the city in some respects, but my beef as I've stated 100 times was the tone of the film.  Just completely devoid of any joy or fun whatsoever.

This is basically Ralph Garman's whole take on Kevin Smith's podcast. I think he used the word "joy" like 350 times in the span of 5 minutes. He also HATED how they wrote Jonathan Kent. However, compared to how he feels about TDKR, that shit is a lovetap.

• Like 1

I could see the "joy" argument but I feel the "everything is fun and games even though people are dying off-panel" approach is just as bad..   I don't think the movies should all be super serious but I don't think they should sweep real world problems under the rug either especially when there are lives at stake. Just because they are being lost off-panel doesn't mean they aren't there..

Isn't March an odd time for a "blockbuster" action flick?  I don't pay a whole lot of attention to these things.  Is March a good month for high profile movies?  I expected them to move it but to a different date in summer or maybe the Christmas holiday season.  Jan and Feb are kinda dumping grounds for "bad" films, aren't they?

Odd.

In recent times, March and April have become good periods for some big releases.  The Hunger Games came out March 23 for instance and made over $400 million domestic.  Cap 2 came out first week of April.  Some much bigger movies are coming out in those months and doing very well.  

Now that that's out of the way, Batman and Superman:

onyourleft.gif

Now all that aside, I have a bit of a love/hate thing with Man of Steel.  There are things about it I like and that are really inspired.  There are other things about it I don't like at all and just do not work for me.  In taking it so seriously and bringing Superman into the real world, what did not work for me was just how loose Snyder played with all the collateral damage.  

I hate to make a comparison to Avengers, but just in comparison there was a lot of collateral damage and buildings getting destroyed and debris, but that was at least interspersed with showing the Avengers defending and protecting civilians.  Cap telling authorities to lead civilians to safety.  Hulk keeping a leviathan away from a building full of people.  Stuff like that.  I thought there was more of an effort on how to deal with something like that.  

• Like 1

Has anyone besides Chris Sims (that guy is the worst) reviewed the Gotham pilot?  I keep hoping it'll be more of a "crime of the week" procedural in the vein of Gotham Central and less "WB presents Bat-Kidz!"

Re: Joyless MoS -- I agree it was kind of a drag, and I think the blue-grey 'cloudy day' color palette didn't help.  It was just so ugly to look at.

Re: Joyful Avengers -- Was everybody joking around or was it just Tony?  Because 'continual joking to keep from having to really face serious stuff' is kind of Tony's deal in the movies, yeah?  And the big climax was Tony risking his life to redirect the nuke so that millions of civilians weren't killed, so it's not like he didn't care.  

Plus they weren't joking around while eating shawarma.

From Screenrant.com - "Batman V Superman will indeed have “a very ‘anti-Superman’ theme,” with people marching in the streets to protest the Man of Steel."

Hey! One of my main complaints from MoS seems to be taken care of!  Snyder/Goyer seem to hate Superman, but at least the in-universe reaction will be realistic

I'm a huge Batman fan. It's pretty public that I thought DKR fucking sucked and is an abomination apon humanity and the movie that turned me on Nolan. I'm on record that Batman and Robin was better than TDKR.

I actually liked MoS.

Can't we all just get along?

Re: Joyful Avengers. Yeah, they were all cracking a lot of jokes, but that's more attributed to Whedon's writing style than anything else.

Has anyone besides Chris Sims (that guy is the worst) reviewed the Gotham pilot? I keep hoping it'll be more of a "crime of the week" procedural in the vein of Gotham Central and less "WB presents Bat-Kidz!"

Dan Feinberg at Hitfix covered it in his Take Me To The Pilots series.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what's worse, the dick measuring contest regarding some of the movies in this thread or video game system dick measuring contests.

Dick measuring contest is so antiquated. I prefer the term "dick jostling". It sounds almost gladiatorial.

I think Jon Peters had the right idea. We need a bubbly and sassy gay villain sidekick.....

....and spiders.