DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2020

Curt McGirt

11 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

So this is all “what if” on account of Covid but Suski-gun just lost their monster in Lance Archer. Rowan is out of a job.

Who knows if Suzuki will be there after this. He’s made it known that he has intentions of exploring his options.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Who knows if Suzuki will be there after this. He’s made it known that he has intentions of exploring his options.

What better way to introduce Sabre-gun than by debuting Rowan as Sabres heavy. Sabre and Rowan rough up Suzuki before the rest of the gang show up and they gang jump Minoru out of New Japan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elizium said:

How pissed off would you be as Brodie if you come to AEW for the chance to reinvent yourself and do something different and they immediately pair you back up with Rowan?

Nothing against Rowan, who's decent enough, but that would be such a bush league move perception-wise.

Other than maybe Rusev, I don't think they should be picking up any of the released wrestlers. And even with Rusev I wouldn't go out of my way. They're doing a good job building up their own names, they don't need to add anymore ex-WWE guys. Let Rusev go to Japan or barnstorm the indies for awhile and maybe grab him later if there's mutual interest and he reinvents himself a bit.

While I do agree with the general sentiment that they shouldn't be picking up much in the way of WWE castoffs, Ruru is an exception. He was almost always given chickenshit and yet consistently made chicken salad from it and he works in the ring to his character perfectly. I would love, love, love to see him tear it up in AEW and Japan (need an Ishii match in Korakuen!) as a babyface bull. He is money.

Chioda has an air of legitimacy as an official that they could badly use. I liked Knox a lot in PWG (that Free Willy tope con giro!) and Bryce has shown a lot of potential on the indies but it's hard to take them seriously in AEW when they've either been made to look fools or haven't helped their own causes. Chioda is so good at admonishing heels. Brother turns dark red. 

Edited by Oyaji

Rusev is a guy who was legitimately underutilized by WWE, much morso than Brodie Lee. Bringing him in would be good. They need help with the women's division, so as long as they find a character for Logan, that's a decent addition as well. Ryder is a catchphrase who maxes out at two star match level, but he's Cody's friend so he will get a job because that's how they seem to do business.

I assume Chioda will be hired back by WWE when this is over, but if he's not, he would be a good addition to the referee roster. The less of Knox and Paul Turner officiating matches, the better.

• Like 2

"Crazy" Mary Dobson and Deonna Purrazzo would be great additions to the women's division. I'm sure Deonna would have been in AEW already had she not signed with WWE and competed at at All In like she was originally scheduled to.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 7

Observer quotes socaluncesored.com saying there was dynamite booked in SoCal for 5/20/20 and 6/10/20. Presumbly that would have made 6/3 the Bay Area date, but in doing four shows in Texas they definitely jumped around on their schedule. I just really want the return of live shows now, even though I understand the issue here and don’t wish them to break it prematurely. I would love to watch aew in front of a red hot Texas crowd right now. 

Rewatching the March 11th Dynamite. Really sinks in how the five episodes since aren't aren't really the same story. They had angles they were building with people who this was their last show. Death Triangle were just getting started. Bea Priestley was coming after Nyla Rose's title. Big Swole confronted Britt Baker. Hangman Page was the ace of the company.

Running Empty Arena since, they've countermanded a lot of the problems that have rendered WWE's empty arena shows so terrible. They're still not as good as shows with live audiences are, but they aren't as lifeless and unatmospheric.  But having half the roster not there really hurts it. They've basically pressed pause on the whole thing. If they had just stopped running altogether, I don't think I'd have minded.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, AxB said:

Rewatching the March 11th Dynamite. Really sinks in how the five episodes since aren't aren't really the same story. They had angles they were building with people who this was their last show. Death Triangle were just getting started. Bea Priestley was coming after Nyla Rose's title. Big Swole confronted Britt Baker. Hangman Page was the ace of the company.

Running Empty Arena since, they've countermanded a lot of the problems that have rendered WWE's empty arena shows so terrible. They're still not as good as shows with live audiences are, but they aren't as lifeless and unatmospheric.  But having half the roster not there really hurts it. They've basically pressed pause on the whole thing. If they had just stopped running altogether, I don't think I'd have minded.

That 11 March Dynamite seems so long ago.  Maybe easier said than done, but I would have liked, or would like, to see more video packages surrounding these lost members of the roster.  Could they not get. say, a skype interview with Pac and match it with some of his highlights?  Just to keep these guys relevant on TV.  It'd be much more interesting television than a Shawn Spears or Dr. Baker squash.  

Going forth, I'd love it if they got a bit more judicious with the taped footage and edited down to the bare essentials (Tourny bouts, etc.).  And then filled out their shows with video packages and archived matches (the Revolution tag title match, etc.).  Perhaps even making the necessary payouts to get footage from Japan (maybe NJPW is too tall an order) and the Indies (PWG) and run packages with the Bucks or Omega or whomever talking about said match or set of matches.  I'd much rather see them put their sweat into production than gathering everybody together for these second/third rate empty arena bouts.       

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'd much rather see them put their sweat into production than gathering everybody together for these second/third rate empty arena bouts.       

I wonder who said something exactly like that over month ago. Hmmm.

I guess people think AEW has like a gazillion writers to figure this all out and not just a handful of people trying to navigate through an unmitigated disaster that's costing them momentum.

I don’t think anybody has come up with a compelling product to keep interest. You can argue WWE’s recent cinematic take did, but that was for a very brief window, but has lost its fanfare fast for it going by the ratings falling to new lows. Whether it’s half-assed or overproduced it’s not what people want from wrestling. What hurts AEW’s empty arena shows is missing its key stars during this, but I’d argue even if they were available, this would be a terribly dull program. It’s all dull stuff, and not just from them. I really applauded that STARDOM show, but I don’t think I could make a return viewing for something like that again. Live entertainment was never meant to be seen like this. Especially when these people have been trained to engage a live crowd to cheers, and jeers. 

The UFC wants to run shows like that, but I don’t want to that either. Who the hell would wanna watch a Conor McGregor grudge match without a bloodthirsty crowd waiting for the big KO?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I don’t think anybody has come up with a compelling product to keep interest. You can argue WWE’s recent cinematic take did, but that was for a very brief window, but has lost its fanfare fast for it going by the ratings falling to new lows. Whether it’s half-assed or overproduced it’s not what people want from wrestling. What hurts AEW’s empty arena shows is missing its key stars during this, but I’d argue even if they were available, this would be a terribly dull program. It’s all dull stuff, and not just from them. I really applauded that STARDOM show, but I don’t think I could make a return viewing for something like that again. Live entertainment was never meant to be seen like this. Especially when these people have been trained to engage a live crowd to cheers, and jeers.

WWE/NXT can afford to have random people missing to some extent because they have so many people there to make up the difference. AEW cannot afford it because they only use so many people as is, and those people allow them to have some type of continuity and cohesion to their program. So to then say you're going to a marathon taping or two where you dispense with that continuity and cohesion, it exposes that they are at this point unable to switch from having a singular focus on one show per week to stitching together their big programs over a span of several weeks under fire. In essence, that's really good because it shows that they care more about quality from show to show (pre COVID-19). However, these last few shows tell you what the drawback is. To me, it feels extremely misguided to ask a company basically in it's infancy to do marathon tapings. Some of the stuff is good. Some of it is in the middle. Some of it could've been done better. The rest doesn't belong under the AEW Dynamite banner. Here is where a Tony Khan should ask for a reprieve from TNT. That first show they did in Jacksonville should have been a dual taping. You do two quality shows (I think anything past two is asking too much creatively) and then go dark for the time being. I don't even need a cliffhanger necessarily because I feel that's why the Dark Order stuff fell so flat on the 12/18 Dynamite last year. I don't want them to feel compelled to do shit just to do it. Do two really great shows with one being a season finale and teaser for Blood and Guts and maybe the title tournament. That's all you need. Then use the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" sentiment in the return episode. That first episode, especially if you did The Match Beyond, would easily be above a million viewers. Save all these squash matches, wacky skits, and Jake Roberts promos for online and AEW Dark purposes. Do some viral campaigns with Dark Order and the Death Triangle. Get creative without trying to Frankenstein it altogether on Dynamite.

• Like 1

I think AEW has done a really remarkable job keeping the show halfway alive during this, despite having the roster gutted, no fans, no real strong direction because of the uncertainty, etc. 

That said, it's still only halfway alive.

• Like 3

Who knew a global pandemic would kill AEW’s momentum, instead of NXT loading up their shows/moving people to that brand/having workers that “AEW fans” would know more than “WWE fans”.

21 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I wonder who said something exactly like that over month ago. Hmmm.

I was suggesting how I’d like to see the shows formatted based more around archival footage/vtr packages.  In your ‘who said that’ earlier post you don’t  seem to be making any similar statement.  Tho, you predicted, fairly accurately, how the show would devolve.  I have to say most could see pretty clearly it wasn’t going to be ideal.

19 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Everybody lost momentum. The only thing that gained momentum is Netflix & Tiger King.

If AEW was just treading water going into this, I would say that continuing to run live programming (while still not ideal) would allow them to brainstorm some new ideas to work out. However, there is something to squandering the momentum (and possibly some goodwill which is much tougher to get back for #2 and #3 promotions) you already have when you don't really have to. I mean you can possibly say once you go dark, it's "out of sight, out of mind". A good amount of viewers made the choice to leave likely due to the show having very little direction. If you lose a large chunk of roster (with most being integral in your storylines), it's just too debilitating to continue on even if you feel like you can use this time to give certain wrestlers who haven't been on TV as much a chance to show what they have. You shouldn't be out there experimenting when the show was on such a high to viewers a month ago. Even if you believe the idea that we would be in the same place if the NY, CA, and other wrestlers were available, it comes off to me as being too transparent that you're trying to do that. You're telling the viewer, "Hey, you don't have invest in this at all because we're just trying shit." If you wanna do that, that's what AEW Dark is for which offers them a platform to work out the kinks. Hey, Dave Chappelle can get away with working out material and somehow get paid millions to make THAT into a special. Nearly everyone else cannot, and they have to work it out in small clubs for months before it even makes air. Here is where a Tony Khan needs to step in and say, "we cannot possibly do what we need to do to make this work." What would resonate most with viewers IMO is leaving on the strongest note possible. 

5 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I was suggesting how I’d like to see the shows formatted based more around archival footage/vtr packages. 

Unless it makes sense in context, I wouldn't do that. Moreover, it makes it harder when you've just filmed matches and air them in random order to fill time.

I have to say most could see pretty clearly it wasn’t going to be ideal.

I remember a good amount of people saying tape as much stuff as possible. I don't remember people saying, "oh it's not going to be good, but just film as much as possible."

Also, Jesus H. Christ, all the bumps they were taking on hard as fuck surfaces. And I remember when my friends and I shared an apartment and did those Kobashi chops. That was our lesson then that we weren't meant to be pro wrestlers.

EDIT: Brandon Cutler is the pastiest white dude ever that lives in SoCal.

Edited by Craig H

The look on Matt's face after the kick on the staircase is too fucking good. He's so proud of having just blasted his brother. Such a slimy fucking move, I love it..

EDIT - Matt's cartoony selling has me fucking ROLLING. "Ouch, ooh, ah ee, ow, ugh!"

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 2

I think the last three to four weeks of BTE were a huge miss for AEW. They could have been doing more on Dynamite with Nick's recovery leading to Matt vs Nick and then just show Matt vs Nick on Dynamite.

• Like 2

The Revival/Arn fakeout punch to DDT spot in the weight room/garage tho.

edit: hahaha! The part with the kids. This is way better than an empty arena match in a ring. I appreciate people getting more creative in these strange times. This is about the only wrestling I will watch now.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1