DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/29/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Fun show. Yeah, Hangman rules.  Great to see him take advantage of the spotlight and make good on his much discussed potential.  I liked Britt’s promo last week and this week was even better.  Loved the swipe at Jr.  And easy to believe Schiavone has shitty breath.  Triple crossrhodes, Arn ejection, fun match.  Penelope Ford is on the rise.  I dug scu-h2 on passive view - will need a second look.  Main was terrific.  Also, Commentary seemed much stronger and smoother this week.  And PAC is fantastic!  Such a well rounded talent.  I look forward to his inevitable top heel run.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

With this Kip/Joey Janela feud, do either of them actually have any wins on Dynamite? I know they've both won matches on Dark, but it feels odd to build to a PPV match between two guys who never win on the show people watch. 

The weird thing is that Kip started off strong with a good record (he was like 2 or 3 and 1) until he got stuck in six man tags with Evans/Angelico.

• Like 1

Pac must have been freezing, doing a full gear promo outside in the cold with his breath fogging. Having said that, going out in the cold late at night whilst wearing almost nothing is a popular thing in Newcastle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Only watched the opening promo and tag match thus far.

The Moxley promo and thing with the Inner Circle didn't have the life to it I think would need to be really effective. There needed to be more of an exclamation point on it than Jon beating up an extra and a security guy. In theory, standing up to ten guys is a walking tall moment but it seemed almost muted because it just became a mass of humanity where you couldn't really tell what individuals were doing. Maybe having Jon dive on the pile or something would have given that moment which is what this segment needed. It needed something for the highlight package and I think it was missing.

The Bucks and the Triple B was a match. They've really given Butcher and The Blade zero protection since their debut. There's a spot in this promotion for a midcarder who eats a superkick and wobbles but doesn't fall until the second kick but they have Butcher bumping too frequently and easily. They also missed the point of being mercenaries who are in their to hurt people by going for too many covers rather than making The Bucks suffer. At no point did I feel like there was any sadism from Triple B or danger to the Bucks. They shoot the gimmick in the foot immediately and it hurts MJF indirectly because he's paying guys who can't get the job done.  Page's hold my beer run in was pretty great and the exact thing the Moxley segment lacked, a big highlight.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Goodear said:

The Moxley promo and thing with the Inner Circle didn't have the life to it I think would need to be really effective. There needed to be more of an exclamation point on it than Jon beating up an extra and a security guy. In theory, standing up to ten guys is a walking tall moment but it seemed almost muted because it just became a mass of humanity where you couldn't really tell what individuals were doing. Maybe having Jon dive on the pile or something would have given that moment which is what this segment needed. It needed something for the highlight package and I think it was missing.

If he had the baseball bat at the end then I think he should have had that in the opener instead so he can take out whoever and send them all scurrying to the back.    Him doing a pull apart then scurrying to the stands didn't do him any favors.

Yeah the opening angle and Rose/Swole were the only things on the show that didn't deliver. Really weird stuff in that opening angle that didn't make sense and that Jericho was involved and didn't change it to something more sensible makes it all even stranger. 

• Like 1

I agree, Baker came off a lot better this week and Mox’s promo was pretty good too. The fall out not so much.

I dug Bucks/BnB. MJF was alright on commentary but he got a legit LOL from me the way he said, “And I aaaammmm diggin’ it!” Feels like the Elite have dominated this loose feud so far which doesn’t make the heels look especially threatening but it looks like a YB/Omega and Page is the plan anyway. Butcher and Blade have a great look and presence, not sure why they’ve been designated jobbers when trash acts like the Dark Order are right there. Maybe they aren’t friends with the right people? Page’s contribution was awesome, as well as his tweet that he was going to get drunk and leave early without saying bye to anyone.

PAC talking shit to both Moxley and Omega was great but those guys are busy, why not get something going with someone new? Dynamite does sometimes seem to revolve around the same few guys at the top and I get why, but now’s the time for a plucky underdog face to try his luck with the Brutalizer.

Not much in the ring this week. Sabian and Ford are a good act but pretty sloppy, I’m enjoying them and Janela feuding though. Goofy mid-card angles are fun. Private Party need to tour extensively for two years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

With this Kip/Joey Janela feud, do either of them actually have any wins on Dynamite? I know they've both won matches on Dark, but it feels odd to build to a PPV match between two guys who never win on the show people watch. 

If I could change one thing about AEW, I'd drop the win-loss records immediately.  It adds nothing and if anything, it can be more of a detriment.  It's hard to take JR calling the Hybrid "an underrated team" seriously when their 3-7 record pops up right after.  You're not underrated if you lose all the time.

Rose vs Swole suffered from some issues with being hesitant and some minor footwork issues.  Swole should drop any and all strike flurries from her offense as they look bad and her non flurry strikes look pretty good most of the time. She really should have gone for a cover after her one super kick as it seemed like her one moment in the match up to get a near fall. Nyla doesn't always feel like she has presence despite being twice everyone's size. She doesn't come off as dangerous like a Vader or a Awesome Kong (when she could still move). 

My issues with Cody vs Sabian all come from the extracurriculars. AEW's referees are kayfabe terrible officials who never see anything and fall for every heel tactic. So when Arn gets upset at Bryce and Bryce kicks him, it makes Bryce look even more stupid than he already does missing Ford interfere every damn time. While heels should cheat, they shouldn't always get away with it especially to that extent. Janella is the most annoying face in the world and I'm not sure why he was out there at all other than to remind us he exists. Cody showed great fire here kicking the shit out of Sabian at the end with the overkill finish and was the best part of the match.

SCU and TH2 seemed pretty rote.  Angelico continues to sink into the background and SCU seem like they need a repackage or a goal. I would say the biggest problem is that I couldn't see any difference between this match and any other match they've ever had when, in narrative, they just lost the tag titles and that should effect their work.

Main event seemed like bad matchmaking to me?  I don't see Darby teaming with Private Party or why anyone would book it. They seem really willing to have Darby lose to the main stars a lot and he would really benefit from some matches he can win against say Sabian, Spears or Sammy to build him back up to legitimately challenge someone like maybe Pac on a larger stage. Post match beat down was much better than the opening segment (although I would wonder where the other 5 guys went) but I think the Moxley run in was still a little limp with the baseball bat swings feeling off with no sense of weight behind them.

Agent wise it seemed like cutter overload this week with a variation in just about every match but I guess since there were no Destroyers, that evens out.

I would say this was a lesser AEW Dynamite in whole. They've released a lot of the pressure on the MJF-Cody feud and didn't do anything to heat it back up this week.  Moxley didn't have a great week.  Page continues to look like the next megastar if they stick the landing.

36 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Janella is the most annoying face in the world and I'm not sure why he was out there at all other than to remind us he exists.

I actually like what they're doing with this as there's a natural feud for them work work with.  I mean, him and Penelope really did break up and she went with Kip.  So if all three are cool with working together then might as well use that for a hopefully solid feud.  But while I'm sure the first match will be a goofy match with a screwy finish I hope it turns into more of a blood feud type as it goes on.  As for last night I did like him showing up in the crowd just to fuck with them. 

• Like 1

Not their strongest show, but it was fine.

• Opening segment was weak, especially based on the strength of the performers it featured. Nothing important enough to merit starting the show with all this gum flapping. I might as well be watching Raw.
  • Bucks tag was okay. Right team went over based on who was involved. MJF tweeting about Tony while on commentary was mildly amusing. Hopefully they realize what they have in Page and don't turn him.
  • Skipped Swole vs Nyla. At this point with the women's division, I feel like I should be skipping it most weeks unless I hear good things. 
  • Cody vs Kip had a strong finish. I'd like to see Arn's scouting report. How did he have that much writing on there without a warning not to get tricked by Ford?
  • I was catching up on some of Arn's podcast, and there's an episode where he's asked which current star he might want to manage. This would be before he was hired as the head coach of the Nightmare Family. He says Cody, and both he and Conrad hint at which way it could go. You'd think maybe Cody should have looked into who this guy was before he hired him
  • Britt was better this week. 
  • Skipped the SCU tag. They could use a fresh coat of paint. 
  • The Dark Order are running a less effective campaign than Tom Steyer.
  • Main event was okay, but felt pretty low-profile for the show closer. Liked the skateboard spot post-match. 

• This is a weird one that has nothing to do with anything and is seemingly a weird thing TSN did, but it amused me so I'll leave it down here. I didn't see anything mentioned here about Cody's post-match, so I went to Youtube to quickly look up the full show and see if it was as strange as I recalled. Someone normally uploads it there every week. That was the TNT version and I got the sense it was different than what I saw last night, so I logged into TSN to compare it to the Canadian broadcast. They stuck with Cody's post-match celebration nearly fifty seconds longer in Canada whereas America jumped to the split screen right after Cody kissed the mat. The effect was Cody out there posing so long he felt like he was trying to out-Hogan Hogan, which was a bit much for a TV win over Kip Sabian. It went on long enough to feel awkward. 
  • Like 2

He just goes directly into cheap heat, so I don't think it's too problematic.

I think you can have Page tease heel and but then have a come to Jesus point where he turns it around but keeps his edge/fun personality. Don't think any of the Elite need to be heels and if there were one it should be Omega even though I don't think that's wise either.

edit: to be clear, I don't think Page should come suckling back to the Elite teat, he should be his own man without being a heel.

Edited by Oyaji

13 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

He just goes directly into cheap heat, so I don't think it's too problematic.

And then there's the fact that the delusional aging rockstar wants the thanks and adulation, so the character has a reason to like that the masses recognize his musical genius.

I'm disappointed in myself for not having a better brain fart this week that could result in a multi-page tangent. I'm sorry for letting everybody down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Not their strongest show, but it was fine.

• Skipped Swole vs Nyla. At this point with the women's division, I feel like I should be skipping it most weeks unless I hear good things. 

I dunno, it was probably worth watching for Swole's flurry of toddler-like face slaps followed by a palm strike that missed Nyla's face by such a wide margin that the Dark Order guy must have cringed.

They maybe should not have started a woman's division until they had a real solid Jericho-style vet to anchor the division.  Too many really green gals.  Nyla and Swole, with their experience levels, should have been kept far apart for a long, long time.  Tenille Dashwood as the champ with, say, Mel as her heater, using her experience to keep the Nylas, Swoles, Statlanders at bay until someone upsets her (Maybe Riho when her schedule is clearer).

As a women's division aside, how good/bad is Penelope Ford in the ring?!  Because she is owning the Superbad gimmick!  Sometimes she makes Sabian look...er...bad because she looks so confident in the role and her interference spots are basically perfect (Which is a far cry some of the other women division cheating spots).  

----

Opening angle was weird.  Moxley with an eyepatch reminds me of that one issue of 'Old Man Logan' (which I just realized I never finished and returned to the library) where Wolverine goes back in time (Or something...I'll be honest I was frequently confused...) and cracks jokes about wearing the eyepatch and wondering why he ever thought that looked cool.  The random "thugs" (As Excalibur...probably shouldn't have put it after the whole John Beileint thing) coming out to help was very WWE-ish, like Corbin's random security guys.

Didn't really care for the Butcher/Blade stuff because it made them look weak.  Incompetent.  I also don't care for the name "Wardlow"; it reminds me of when Jericho was complaining about the Warlord in his book and referred to him as the "Warload".

Kip-Cody was good, but I don't care for Arn Anderson in the "let's mock every coaching stereotype in one match" role.  I think Penelope might be a star.  Reminds me of Darby and Guevara.  Or maybe they're just all really attractive and that's what gets my attention.

Pac's promo was good.

Liked the main.  Darby is the best.  I didn't even mind Private Party's offence.  Also, the solid end of the show, reminded me how weird the opening was in that they had a random group of guys helping out, but none of them were around at the end (Or were they?  Did I miss them?).

• Like 1

Adam Page was always pretty MEH to me. Good look, some cool moves, but he was missing something. They've done a pretty fantastic job on BTE and Dynamite to get Page where he is now. He has the potential to be a huge babyface. In a perfect world he'll stand alone and booked apart from the rest of the Elite but still have his friend's backs when they need him. 

I really didn't have the same problem you guys had with the opening promo. I thought it was all fine and was happy Mox was crazy enough to want to fight all of them. Only part I didn't care for was Santana bringing out some random dudes.

I'll also admit to fast forwarding through Nyla vs Swole. I don't like Swole and I like Nyla, but it depends on her dance partner.

• Like 1