DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

Speaking of Ziggler - I only saw a clip on Reddit, but on that Backstage show, Booker T suggested Ziggler should be Steve Austin's comeback match. Christian suggested AJ Styles, Paige said Kevin Owens.

The Styles-Austin interaction a few weeks back makes me think they might have some chemistry. I just hope Austin has the good sense to say no thanks to taking a Styles Clash.

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I hope FOX cancels them.  Hold their feet to the fire.  It's deserved.   Also,  when is this blockbuster trade supposed to go down? 

That Bliss thing was the blockbuster trade. 

6 minutes ago, Infinit said:

So...Raw drafted Bliss and Cross separately, when they could've drafted them as a package, thus wasting a pick. Then they trade them so SD for nothing? As Booker would say... WHUT THA HALE???

So when in the draft do they get these? Is it determined by how well the team that traded them does during the season?

I’m going assume HHH fucked up, and meant they’ll get something back, but it’ll be announced next Monday.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I wonder how much of an opt-out of this deal FOX has to cancel it like any other network show and not have to pay up for future seasons. Knowing WWE, they saw big network and just went with whatever.

• Like 1

I would guess it has some sort of clause for the show to be sent down to one of Fox's cable networks after a year or so if the ratings are not at a certain level.  WWE would probably want FX while Fox would like to put them on FS1 to bolster it, but after UFC apparently got blindsided by the launch of FS1 and being knocked off of FX I am pretty sure this would have come up during negotiations.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - this is how you know how much the WWE wants promotion right now

Meltzer just posted interviews with Becky Lynch and Ric Flair

TBF I am pretty sure these would have taken place at the WWE 2k20 video game media thing as a number of interviews with these folks have come out recently from there, and Meltz was pictured talking to I believe Adam Cole at it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I wonder how much of an opt-out of this deal FOX has to cancel it like any other network show and not have to pay up for future seasons. Knowing WWE, they saw big network and just went with whatever.

Was it announced how long the contract was? 

16 minutes ago, username said:

TBF I am pretty sure these would have taken place at the WWE 2k20 video game media thing as a number of interviews with these folks have come out recently from there, and Meltz was pictured talking to I believe Adam Cole at it.

I posted that photo recently.

5 minutes ago, username said:

I would guess it has some sort of clause for the show to be sent down to one of Fox's cable networks after a year or so if the ratings are not at a certain level.  WWE would probably want FX while Fox would like to put them on FS1 to bolster it, but after UFC apparently got blindsided by the launch of FS1 and being knocked off of FX I am pretty sure this would have come up during negotiations.

I dunno if I would say UFC got blindsided. I mean the UFC was planning to run a bunch of cards and eventually they got to a point where they were running a card every week or at least three weeks (including a PPV) on or 1 or 2 weeks off. They were not going to be able to do that on FX. It also doesn't help you're running 5 1/2 to 6 hour cards. FS1/FS2 offered flexibility they weren't going to have on FX. Now it can be argued they were never going to have a great lead in since those channels were in their infancy and UFC was one of the only hot properties there, but what do people think was going to happen when you run more cards with less star power? It's just delaying the inevitable.

With that said, I thought it was funny that when the WWE/Fox negotiations were going on that Fox was making such a hard sell that even Rupert Murdoch got in on the action. I know it's much bigger money and obviously much higher stakes, but do the WWE brass know Fox left UFC swimming in circles after two years basically? Once UFC was no longer the shiny new toy, they really didn't make much of an effort to do anything different with them. Everything was the same (weekly FS1 news show in studio, one hour pre show, Road to Octagon/Countdown specials, three to four Fox cards every calendar year w/ Curt Menefee, live weigh-ins) for several years, and I think that's why the ratings never moved outside of FS1 doing some really great numbers for the shows that ran same day as the NFL playoffs. There is nothing that shows me the WWE relationship is going to go any differently. If anything, it might be worse especially with the people involved.

I hope the SmackDown ratings going down the toilet doesn't adversely affect Dolph's chances of being the leggy blonde co-host on Tulsi Gabbard's inevitable Fox Nation show. Real talk, I just want that dude to land on his feet. Instead of the back of his head when someone kicks him in the leg.

• Haha 1