DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

2 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Two dead friends from motorcycle accidents. Two other friends that were never the same after being brought to the brink of death from motorcycle accidents.

Don't really care if the danger is inherent or not, I will always strongly encourage people to stay the fuck away from them forever. So, @OSJ, please continue to do so. We need our grizzled veteran posters.

Hell, I don't even drive a car (I know how to, sort of, I can get from point A to point B without running into shit if I'm going 30 mph or less), never had a drivers license, lived in Seattle until I was fifty and Seattle has the best public transportation in the world coupled with the shittiest parking, so why would you want a car? My wife drives and loves doing so, bless her heart. I will go to my grave having driven less than fifty times in my life and I'm perfectly good with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justin877 said:

I am assuming that Terry Funk/ Chris Candido match came at the waning days of WCW.  I feel compelled to watch it though.

Imagine how good Candido in WCW in 95-96 would have been instead of wasting his time in the WWF, and knowing his g/f was fucking Shawn Michaels. Although, once Hall & Nash got there, they probably would have squashed Candido dead.

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Another nail in the Ribera jacket coffin

Baron Corbin wearing one was the death knell for the Ribera jacket.

and that Adam Bomb figure is fucking sweet

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

3 hours ago, AxB said:

There's these things called helmets, they're mandatory in a lot of places.

Not in Wisconsin, they sued over it and won. WE WANT TO DIE! I believe we have an ad bragging about it from a law firm where one of the guys sued enough to get out of a DUI. I'm not going to confirm that, it sounds accurate enough from a law firm that uses Bill Shatner as a spokesperson.

Edited by Ryan

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

Hell, I don't even drive a car (I know how to, sort of, I can get from point A to point B without running into shit if I'm going 30 mph or less), never had a drivers license, lived in Seattle until I was fifty and Seattle has the best public transportation in the world coupled with the shittiest parking, so why would you want a car? My wife drives and loves doing so, bless her heart. I will go to my grave having driven less than fifty times in my life and I'm perfectly good with that.

I could pull you around in a wagon if you like.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Two dead friends from motorcycle accidents. Two other friends that were never the same after being brought to the brink of death from motorcycle accidents.

Don't really care if the danger is inherent or not, I will always strongly encourage people to stay the fuck away from them forever. So, @OSJ, please continue to do so. We need our grizzled veteran posters.

I used to be friends with my best friend's brother and the one thing he did was ride motorcycles, the crotch rocket kind. He's show my best friend and me videos of him and his buddies doing the stupid thing of getting your motorcycle up to a really high speed and then slowing down dramatically.

And then one day he lost control of his motorcycle and slammed into a tree with no helmet. He was in a coma for two months. Went through extensive therapy after coming out of the coma. He's...kinda normal now. I say kinda because before the crash he was an atheist and very nice to everyone. Now he's a total religious freak and legitimately racist, among other things. He's just a totally different person now. He also claims Jesus visited him in his head when he was in his coma. We aren't friends anymore and now I just get updates about him from my best friend.

OH, the other weird thing is that along with his other changes, he got really into Christmas lights. He has one of those houses with a million Christmas lights that are timed to music with a radio station he set up that you can tune into outside his house. So at least he ditched motorcycles for that hobby.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Not in Wisconsin, they sued over it and won. WE WANT TO DIE! I believe we have an ad bragging about it from a law firm where one of the guys sued enough to get out of a DUI. I'm not going to confirm that, it sounds accurate enough from a law firm that uses Bill Shatner as a spokesperson.

In Indiana you only need to have the helmet somewhere on the bike. You don't have to wear it. Seems...like a very Indiana law.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, OSJ said:

Seattle has the best public transportation in the world 

@OSJ, I have platonic message board love for you, sir, but this is legit insanity. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Still better than ours. You can ride around in plain clothes and that's it. Most people do. 

That's pretty much PA as well.  Jersey requires the helmets, and considering having one saved my Dad's life when he wiped out, if you insist on riding a bike without a helmet, well, there is something called Darwinism...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

@OSJ, I have platonic message board love for you, sir, but this is legit insanity. 

Granted, it has been years since I lived there, but it used to be you could catch a bus to anywhere without waiting more than fifteen minutes, half hour tops if we're talking night time. Has Metro Transit gone that far downhill since I left?  I remember having to take two (or three depending on the time of morning) buses for my commute from north Seattle to Bellevue and it was never inconvenient, also gave me plenty of time to read. Could usually do a book a day with the commute. 

Metro also used to have a ride-free zone for most of downtown Seattle to Pioneer Square which was massively cool. Like I said, it's been years, but Metro used to be just like clockwork, compared to the ridiculousness I've encountered in other cities where the schedule is at best a loose approximation of arrivals and departures.  I can't imagine much better service than what I was used to in Seattle. I fondly recall just zipping past the lines of commuters in the special transit/carpool lane on 520. The only times that commuting was ever a problem was in the case of snow, which Seattleites react to as though an atomic bomb has been dropped. An inch is enough to cause massive pile-ups, three inches is enough to have people abandoning their vehicles and wandering around like extras on The Walking Dead. I've become quite fond of living in a place that actually has seasons as opposed to ten months of overcast gray skies, a month of summer and six weeks or so of wintry weather with the week or so of actual snow. 

Seattle, like a lot of places, is facing a shortage of Bus operators.  I know a number of people who live there and there's countless stories of routes just randomly stopping and making everyone get off the bus so they can go cover a "better" route.

Edited by Bustronaut
  • Thanks 1

If it came to arguing it in court, I have a feeling a municipality as large as Seattle could spring for better representation than people riding transit in areas that might be deemed worthy of such shoddy service. But according to my Cracker Jack box law degree (which, like Vince McMahon's brass ring, is completely imaginary), that sounds a lot like breach of contract or something similar. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

5 hours ago, Justin877 said:

I might need to track it down, just to figure out why there was a Funk/Candido feud.  The matching gear also intrigues me

I don't remember that they feuded, especially considering how short a time Candido was there. I haven't gone back and rewatched lately, but I recall Candido being more invested in the Cruiserweight scene, and the Funk match was a one-off. He cut a promo about Funk being an old dog and that he was going to put him down.

The tights were something that he rocked on more than one occasion, but I don't recall if there was ever an explanation for them.

53 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

Seattle, like a lot of places, is facing a shortage of Bus operators.  I know a number of people who live there and there's countless stories of routes just randomly stopping and making everyone get off the bus so they can go cover a "better" route.

Wow. That's super fucked up.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

I don't remember that they feuded, especially considering how short a time Candido was there. I haven't gone back and rewatched lately, but I recall Candido being more invested in the Cruiserweight scene, and the Funk match was a one-off. He cut a promo about Funk being an old dog and that he was going to put him down.

The tights were something that he rocked on more than one occasion, but I don't recall if there was ever an explanation for them.

I seem to also recall Candido wearing the Terry Funk tights once in a while in ECW. Of course, I could be wrong since that was 20+ years ago and a lot of brain altering chemicals since then.

33 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I seem to also recall Candido wearing the Terry Funk tights once in a while in ECW. Of course, I could be wrong since that was 20+ years ago and a lot of brain altering chemicals since then.

No you're right. I think he even wore them in a match against Funk at some point in WCW.