DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

Maybe a case could be made for Waltman being the Mendoza line of Wrestling. All of his good or great matches are with guys who always had good matches; Generico, Owen Hart, Jerry Lynn. He never had a good match with someone who was mediocre, or flat out sucked. Plenty of good workers have done exactly that. Waltman hasn't.

Maybe it's injuries. Maybe it's all that time hanging out with Nash and Hall, telling him that when you're Over, you don't have to try.

On 7/18/2019 at 6:32 PM, caley said:

WCW had so many fun power wrestlers -Nord, Mike Enos, Wrath etc.- who would carve a path of destruction through jobbers on Thunder or WCWSN and you’d watch them and think “This is going somewhere, Mike Enos hasn’t lost a match in two months”  and then they’d suddenly get fed to Goldberg, Nash, some nWo guy and that would be that.  

On Eric's podcast this week they mentioned that WCWSN kept basically the same rating in 1999 while all the other shows were losing points. I feel like this is a big reason for that. When I was 12-13, I NEVER missed an episode of Saturday Night. I knew all the guys I actually wanted to see would be on there doing cool stuff. I can't imagine I'm the only one who had that feeling. 

• Like 3

I missed a lot more WCWSN than I would have liked because on the west coast, that shit was WCW Saturday AFTERNOON.

On the WWF side of things, there was a time where either Challenge or Superstars was on at the exact same time as All American Wrestling on USA.  They were competing with themselves in the same timeslot and probably owe me a shitload of remote batteries as a result.

We got kind of fucked with wrestling, though the ESPN World Class/USWA/GWF weekday shows being on at either noon or 1pm made it so they didn't compete with any afternoon cartoons worth note.  That was pretty awesome.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

I'm a bit disappointed that here, of all places, everyone is acting like X-Pac was no good and just a moves guy. The guy was an awesome pro wrestler, even during the years when he had become stale and the fans had completely turned on him (which, when going back and watching that stuff, I found to be a bit overstated anyway- sure, no-one is extolling the virtues of X-Factor, but as the cocky little shit in D-X feuding with Kane and Chris Jericho, he was still very effective and was able to get a lot of heat). He was one of a small handful of guys who was still able to have good matches during the Attitude Era, and was probably the #2 most popular babyface in the company for a period in 1999. Waltman also seems a pretty cool guy in general, who genuinely loves pro wrestling.

• Like 20

20 minutes ago, Ace said:

For years I had an east coast feed of TNT and a west coast feed of USA, so I could watch both shows on Monday. I think that stopped in 2000.

Yeah, it sucked when they changed to a split feed of TNT.  It had to have a pretty significant hit to WCWs already declining ratings, yet nobody talks about it - which is weird, because Meltzer lives in California so he should have seen it first-hand.

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

He's a better man than me as far as sticking to what he loves.  If I tore my asshole doing something I loved I'd stop doing it.  Homeboy kept wrestling.

I think Sean Waltman tore himself a new asshole twice. Once is bad enough, twice? Nasty.

Talking about Sean Waltman makes me want to watch his match with Bret Hart for the WWF Championship on RAW in 1994 again. I've never been keen on the X Factor finish though. There's better facebuster moves.

Edited by The Natural

Sorry if this shillng isn't allowed, but I'm selling the crown jewel of my wrestling collection, the OOP biography of "Playboy" Gary Hart. I don't know if I'll get the asking price of it, but I wanted to see what offers I'd get, and it's literally half the price of anywhere else.

It's a holy grail for 80's wrestling fans, and I don't really want to sell it, but my health issues have gotten worse and I'm not on disability yet ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Life-In-Wrestling-by-Gary-Hart-Super-Rare-OOP/323863946580

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Sorry if this shillng isn't allowed, but I'm selling the crown jewel of my wrestling collection, the OOP biography of "Playboy" Gary Hart. I don't know if I'll get the asking price of it, but I wanted to see what offers I'd get, and it's literally half the price of anywhere else.

It's a holy grail for 80's wrestling fans, and I don't really want to sell it, but my health issues have gotten worse and I'm not on disability yet ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Life-In-Wrestling-by-Gary-Hart-Super-Rare-OOP/323863946580

God I hope you get better because you are absolutely one of my favorite posters on this entire board and a MR, who us in ESC are good friends with. May you get well enough to join Monty and company next time you play us down here!

• Like 3

Thanks Mike. I haven't really gotten into what's been going on, but the Crohn's and rhumatoid arthritis has gotten to the point that I'm house bound (It doesn't help that my current rhumatologist took me off Tramadol because everyone's antsy about painkillers these days, and despite the fact that making it down the hallway and back is difficult a lot of the time, refuses to put me back on it, because it can take a year or more for the lack of pain tolerance caused by going off the Tramadol to fade). You can imagine what's it's doing for my depression.

I'm trying to stay upbeat, mind you. But yeah, that's a major reason I'm selling this and some of my board game/RPG stuff, because while my family helps, it's not like I'm living a life of luxury ?

(Ok, enough maudilin bullcrap. I'm going to deliberately change the subject here)

If you had to build one card to epitomize a wrestling style or Era, (let's say, six matches), what would it be? No build up except for stuff like "Road to X" videos. All wrestlers at their peak for the area

Mid to late 80's WCW-NWA would be mine.

MAIN EVENT: Sting vs Ric Flair

WAR GAMES: Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Barry Windham, Stunning Steve Austin, Brian Pillman (with JJ Dillon) vs Nikita Koloff, Ric Steiner, Scott Steiner, Michael Hayes, Ricky Steamboat (With Magnum TA)

Tag Team Match: The Midnight Express (Eaton/Lane) (with Jim Cornette)  vs The Rock and Roll Express

Dusty and Dustin Rhodes vs The Great Muta and Terry Funk (with Gary Hart)

The Road Warriors vs the Samoan Swat Team

Vader vs Rick Rude

Probably too many hosses in the card, I would put the Express v Express match first, then the Road Warriors/SST, then Vader/Rude, Dusty/Dustin vs J-Tex, then Wargames (the tear down of wargames is the break), then the main event of Sting/Flair

edit: Realized I used Dusty/Dustin twice

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 3

It was kinda funny, I was re-reading the book (I actually said "I remember this was OOP, how much does it go for on ebay/amazon? then my face went: 0_o)

Such a minor incident led to Hart being let go (he snapped a towel at a fan who grabbed at him, the fan sued, and WCW wanted Hart to admit in court that it was all fake. There was no way Hart was going to do that)

But seriously, Gary hart had a way of making you believe that your stars were great and great people, but they would fall, because his men were great, and didn't have anything holding them back.

Dustin would have played Ricky Morton the entire way I think (he was and still is REALLY good at selling getting the crap beaten out of him), and the pop when he tagged Dusty in would have lifted the roof off the building.

Just to expand on my Gary Hart point. He was one of the few people in wrestling that realized if you tell everyone that your opponent is a putz, and then you beat them, you don't gain much. Cuz you just beat a putz, right? But if you tell everyone that "Dusty Rhodes has been up and down the road with more matches then most of you have days on God's Green Earth. There isn't much he hasn't seen in the ring. But I know one thing he hasn't seen. Someone like my client. Dusty Rhodes has been through hell, but when he steps into the ring, he won't be stepping out of hell. He's going to be carried out." That gave you a sense of how bad and evil he and his men were. The only man who comes even close to building up their opponents in that way these days is Paul Heyman.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2019 at 8:02 PM, D.Z said:

D_zCrdsVUAE9NyH?format=jpg

"Featuring: A Dudley Boy! Some of DX! Divas of minor importance whose names you don't quite remember! Ron Simmons saying 'Damn!' And the rest of the same people we bring back every time we do this gimmick!" 

Meh.

On 7/19/2019 at 6:54 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Jumping off of this: Who would be the wrestler equivalent of the Mendoza line? 

Zack Ryder.

8 hours ago, AxB said:

* More Americans should use the term "American Football". If you have no problem calling Ninja Warrior "American Ninja Warrior" or Gladiators "American Gladiators", what's the difference.

Okay, but you guys have to start calling it "live foosball".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What's the name of those kicks that dude like Finn Balor do where they are on the apron and they hold on to the rope and kick a guy in the head before they reenter the ring?  Every damn indy wrestler in America does that spot and I fucking hate it with a passion.  

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What's the name of those kicks that dude like Finn Balor do where they are on the apron and they hold on to the rope and kick a guy in the head before they reenter the ring?  Every damn indy wrestler in America does that spot and I fucking hate it with a passion.

Call it that ;). 

I'm not fond of that either but it doesn't vex me as much.

X-Pac had a pretty severe drug problem throughout the height of his run, right? Calling him a lazy worker when he was completely out of it for years seems a little harsh, even if he committed the heinous crime of being friends with Kevin Nash.

Being friends with Nash, is like being friends with Cassidy from Preacher. He’s partying like crazy, and doing mostly the same stuff you’re doing(Or he’s pulling the Dean Martin urban legend of drinking apple juice, when everybody thought he was swigging gin), but that stuff is dragging you down, while none of it effects Nash. Kevin Nash will live till he’s 100.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1