DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

32 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am positive @Casey already saw this but just in case

Meltzer confirmed that Liv Morgan is getting a new character (and new look)

I've grown really fond of her wacky self so will miss that.  Plus it made her stand out so watch this "repackaging" take all that out of her and she gets even more lost in the shuffle.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AxB said:

What is X-Pac's career highlight, since he started using the name X-Pac? Because other than becoming a synonym for the wrong type of crowd scorn, I can't think of one. Arguably he was salvageable the whole time, but he never did get salvaged, did he? 

It was all pretty much downhill after the hot re-debut promo where he shot on Bischoff and Hogan...

55 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am positive @Casey already saw this but just in case

Meltzer confirmed that Liv Morgan is getting a new character (and new look)

She said that when she came back, she'd be 'real'. Hopefully nobody in creative has seen the movie "Lars and the Real Girl", or heard about Kota Ibushi wrestling a blow up doll in DDT and assumed that rather than it being an actual blow up doll, it meant a wrestler doing a blow up doll gimmick.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

She said that when she came back, she'd be 'real'. Hopefully nobody in creative has seen the movie "Lars and the Real Girl", or heard about Kota Ibushi wrestling a blow up doll in DDT and assumed that rather than it being an actual blow up doll, it meant a wrestler doing a blow up doll gimmick.

I legit laughed at that.

9 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

It was all pretty much downhill after the hot re-debut promo where he shot on Bischoff and Hogan...

Growing the beard killed him. He wanted to look older, tougher and hide his weak chin. But looking young and weak was his main asset.

Also the breaking of the size barrier meant suddenly he went from being the WWF's best movez~! guy* in 1993/94 (before the Monday Night Wars, anyway) to being a mediocre skinny guy after the InVasion. And that Cornette RAW promo where he said Waltman was the only guy in the war who was allowed to leave one side and join the other no problem, a few months before Syxx-Pac was allowed to leave the other side and rejoin the first one No problem.

* Except Owen Hart.

Edited by AxB
no problem, not Bo problem

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've been a fan since his indy days, but WWE had two chances to have him break away from Bray, turn face, and didn't capitalize. The fans were getting behind him when he was skeptical of Randy in the Wyatt Family. Much like Claudio, he works great as a base for small wrestlers. I said very early on that if he and Cesaro were given 20 minutes on ppv and held nothing back, they'd both be instantly over.

I mean if you look at that Orton match, it started off boring as shit (like most Orton matches) but about midway through Harper did something to light a fire in Randy and the second half of the match is pretty damn good.

Personally what I see in Harper is a big guy who can do all the big guy moves but he can also do some cruiserweight stuff just to make things interesting. He can actually talk which seems to be a rare thing for guys his size these days. At the very least there is no reason why he shouldn't be someone's Big Bubba Rogers at the moment.

• Like 2

WWE has announced a new in-ring Network special for later this month.

"Smackville" will take place at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee on Saturday, July 27 and will air live on the WWE Network. The event was previously scheduled as just being a house show.

Two matches have been confirmed for the special, and it will also feature a musical performance by Elias. Kofi Kingston will defend the WWE Championship against Samoa Joe and Dolph Ziggler in a triple threat match. Plus, Finn Balor will face Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura in a rematch from Extreme Rules.

Kingston retained the WWE Championship against Joe at Extreme Rules this Sunday. He also retained against Ziggler at both Super ShowDown and Stomping Grounds.

Nakamura won the Intercontinental title from Balor on the Extreme Rules pre-show.

Smackville will begin on the WWE Network at 9 p.m. Eastern time on July 27. WWE hasn't announced how long the special will be.

On 7/17/2019 at 1:18 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

FWIW, I enjoyed those random John Nord Nitro matches quite a bit. I think he was a fun TV worker. 

This is the only thing I remember about John Nord on Nitro. The only word to describe this is "tremendous". Wrestling needs more shirts with iron on letters.

61547305_142206796895835_626376572037439

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZHcP7SHriSt0vCBvtayt

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

WCW had so many fun power wrestlers -Nord, Mike Enos, Wrath etc.- who would carve a path of destruction through jobbers on Thunder or WCWSN and you’d watch them and think “This is going somewhere, Mike Enos hasn’t lost a match in two months”  and then they’d suddenly get fed to Goldberg, Nash, some nWo guy and that would be that.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Smackville? Sounds like the name of a documentary about a town riddled with a heroin problem.

Speaking of which, the series "Intervention" is doing another six-part series about the opioid epidemic. It may or may not be called "Smackville". I remember they did a series on the Boston area's epidemic. IIRC, the new one centers around Viriginia, West Virginia, and Ohio.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

This is the only thing I remember about John Nord on Nitro. The only word to describe this is "tremendous". Wrestling needs more shirts with iron on letters.

61547305_142206796895835_626376572037439

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZHcP7SHriSt0vCBvtayt

A t-shirt tucked into tights is a really bad look. 

17 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

I liked X-Factor. Coming out to Uncle Kracker is quality heeling.

As Dave would say: This is a G1 level post! I would rather listen to Nickleback fronted by William Hung or one of the shitty scab Dead Kennedys singers than Uncle Kracker. 

Slow Chemical was a catchy entrance song. I liked that it started at the lyrics “Every intuition fails to find its way...”. Very catchy hook. 

Benoit’s theme was also a banger. In the pre-YouTube days I sometimes would leave the menu running on his DVD just to hear it.

Edit: We are talking about horrible wrestling songs that we like right?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2