DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

9 minutes ago, Dewar said:

If Billy didn't get popped for steroids at that bodybuilding event, I assume he would still be a big part of the PC.

ahh. that would explain it.

[still way less of a black eye than all the shit DeMott did tho]

This Mendoza line thing never works out in discussion about wrestling because the Mendoza line is an actual batting average. There are no numbers in pro wrestling. 

But even if we could calculate such a line, Waltman and Brad Armstrong sure as fuck wouldn't be the equivalent, I can glean that much.

• Like 2

Does a batting average of .200 mean they only hit the ball on one of every five attempts? Because that's extrapolatable, to someone who has four times as many bad matches as they have good ones. 

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, goodhelmet said:

freebirdsustags6mantags.jpg

His run as Badstreet was actually where I was thinking about this from a potential standpoint, but (and this is a pretty big what if) imagine if he had gotten a masked heel character with a mouthpiece in, say, 1984, not 1991. It also probably would've helped if WCW hadn't reversed course on him so quickly and made him Arachnaman after only what, three months as Badstreet.

I think him being typecast as an undercard white meat babyface was a major detriment. He was clearly capable of being something else, he just never got the chance, and I think by the time the Monday night wars came it was too late.

That said, I love the guy. I just wish he had been given more of a chance to be something other than Tim Horner's tag team partner after 1986, or that his drug problems hadn't derailed him in 1992.

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

Does a batting average of .200 mean they only hit the ball on one of every five attempts? Because that's extrapolatable, to someone who has four times as many bad matches as they have good ones. 

That is what .200 means but I don't know if it's useful in a wrestling sense. By that metric John Cena would be the Mendoza line, maybe below it.

Everyone should go watch 1-2-3 Kid vs Owen Hart from KOTR '94. In about 3 1/2 minutes, the two of them blow the doors off. 

Kid vs Bret from RAW

Razor/Kid vs Diesel/Shawn from Action Zone

X-Pac vs Triple H from Backlash '99 is a masterclass in babyface selling, heel viciousness, and general ring psychology.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think Badstreet might’ve been the best use of him. 

Fuck, I just remembered that his brother Steve was even better than his ass when he was a Young Pistol.

Speaking of The Armstrongs, what's the best Bob Armstrong match available? He was pretty much semi-retired by the time I started watching in the 80s but I was always a fan of his character work. What's his best match?

2 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

freebirdsustags6mantags.jpg

I remember getting WCW on tv for the first time around this time and rewinding my tape several times to see if the Freebirds manager actually was being referred to as “Big Daddy Dink”.   I also remember thinking Badstreet and his second rope DDT were amazing and then I lost my syndicated WCW show for a while and when I came back no one from the Freebirds was around and I was baffled 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

His run as Badstreet was actually where I was thinking about this from a potential standpoint, but (and this is a pretty big what if) imagine if he had gotten a masked heel character with a mouthpiece in, say, 1984, not 1991. It also probably would've helped if WCW hadn't reversed course on him so quickly and made him Arachnaman after only what, three months as Badstreet.

I think him being typecast as an undercard white meat babyface was a major detriment. He was clearly capable of being something else, he just never got the chance, and I think by the time the Monday night wars came it was too late.

That said, I love the guy. I just wish he had been given more of a chance to be something other than Tim Horner's tag team partner after 1986, or that his drug problems hadn't derailed him in 1992.

Cornette said that Brad was one of those guys who's hilarious and charismatic in real life but can't get it to transfer on screen. Brad always thought his character should be "aww shucks" humble white meat babyface so he never let his personality shine through. Cornette said that Brad would have everyone in stitches backstage doing funny wiseass commentary over top of matches but the few times he did guest commentary on tv, he'd revert back to "awww shucks" mode. Badstreet was probably closer to his real personality than what we usually saw out of him.

I looked at Bullet Bob's wikipedia page and had a good laugh at this section. I think I'd posted about this before but I'd forgotten whose wiki page it was on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Armstrong

On September 20th, 2008, "Bullet" Bob Armstrong was scheduled to wrestle Southeast Indy darling Ace Rockwell in Haleyville, Alabama. Rockwell pulled out of the show merely hours before showtime to take a higher paying booking that was closer to his home. The show's promoter and former WCW jobber "Action" Mike Jackson called underground rapper One Man Kru to serve as a last minute replacement. Kru was asked to cut a promo introducing himself as "Ace Rockwell" because Jackson had forgot to put "card subject to change" on the event posters & flyers. One Man Kru was concerned about the 44 year age gap between himself and Bob (who was 69 years old at the time) and was worried about possibly accidentally injuring his opponent. Legend has it that One Man Kru worked so hard to make the match so easy for Armstrong that The Bullet "didn't even break a sweat." Armstrong enjoyed working the match with Kru so much that he pulled a backstage political move to get One Man Kru booked in Carrollton, Georgia the following week for a rematch. The main reason for requesting the rematch was because Bob wanted his son "The Road Dogg" Jesse James (who was working as an agent for TNA at the time and was booked on the event) to get a look at One Man Kru and possibly get him a job. After working only one TNA house show as an extra, One Man Kru would go on to become an international pro-wrestling star and work for 30 different promotions in Japan, Thailand, South Korea, Hawaii & Mexico.

Rapper, International pro-wrestling star and Bullet Bob Armstrong's favorite wrestler......One Man Kru!

D6csHvzUwAAKRVO.jpg

onemankru.jpg

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Haha 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
32 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Cornette said that Brad was one of those guys who's hilarious and charismatic in real life but can't get it to transfer on screen. Brad always thought his character should be "aww shucks" humble white meat babyface so he never let his personality shine through. Cornette said that Brad would have everyone in stitches backstage doing funny wiseass commentary over top of matches but the few times he did guest commentary on tv, he'd revert back to "awww shucks" mode. Badstreet was probably closer to his real personality than what we usually saw out of him.

I remember seeing an interview with Brad (I think it was his ROH shoot? I remember owning that) where he said that when he was under a mask, he felt like he could be himself more because nobody would know it was him. He felt his reputation was a white meat babyface and that he should act like it in public and on camera, but when he was wearing a mask he could be himself. He also said his real life personality was very similar to Curt Hennig's.

3 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

If Brad Armstrong had been put under a mask as a heel, and given a consistent push with a manager to talk for him, I think we'd have a much different story. His body language was tremendous and if he had been a masked wrestler with someone else doing his talking, he could have been great.

Wasn't this all literally Bradstreet?

Consistent push?  Pretty much.  He was basically the reason the Freebirds were winning for a while.

Mask, yes

Heel, yes

Manager speaking for him?  How about Humperdink AND DDP?

Edit: I didn't see the ten other posts saying the same thing, sorry everyone.

Edited by Tromatagon

1 hour ago, AxB said:

The obvious problem with this is that there isn't an actual mathematical way of calculating whether a match is good or bad unless you want to count the moonsaults or whatever.

The DVDVR equation for a good match would equal something like:

(Number of sweet punches)  * (Number of dope-ass missile dropkicks) + (Instances in which a limb was worked on ferociously and sold well by the victim) - (Number of steel Davey Richards's that the match took place in) / (Number of times that someone fails to sell a devastating move +number of times someone inefficiently makes a cover in order to find the hard camera) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The DVDVR equation for a good match would equal something like:

(Number of sweet punches)  * (Number of dope-ass missile dropkicks) + (Instances in which a limb was worked on ferociously and sold well by the victim) - (Number of steel Davey Richards's that the match took place in) / (Number of times that someone fails to sell a devastating move +number of times someone inefficiently makes a cover in order to find the hard camera) 

(If the guy knows who Pitbull is)

In Japan, the Pitbulls were called Spike and Psycho Mike. One went the Moondog way, and the other didn't. You would think they would have conferred on such a matter, but apparently not.

5 hours ago, Meltzing Pot said:

In what universe was Brad Armstrong anything less than very good? Do people just not understand the concept of the Mendoza Line?

I think his former partner, Tim Horner, is far closer to a Mendoza Line guy than Arachnaman.

Dave on WOR said ticket sales for the WWE shows at MSG have been a gigantic disappointment. They expected AEW type instant sellouts, but not only didn't they sell out there are still tons left for both shows. They apparently realize they overpriced the shows (cheap seats for both are $50, and really closer to $70 after TicketScammer fees) and plan on taking corrective action (IE: Discounting tickets).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've heard of him, but seen very little.  Is he as bad as I think he is?

Some of those spots are hard to watch.  I've seen a fair bit of CZW and BJW,, but I'll never want to watch the really hardcore stuff.

Gotta admit: I lol'edl at two clips: the slingshot somersault over the top rope where he got no distance and hit his ass on the apron....

... and the F-5 where he was too close to the wall and the opponent hit the wall and dropped awkwardly to the ground (obviously unplanned).

And a Sasuke sighting.  Because, of course, Saskuke wrestled the dude in a lighttube match. 

Edited by Doc Townsend

49 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Gotta admit: I lol'edl at two clips: the slingshot somersault over the top rope where he got no distance and hit his ass on the apron....

... and the F-5 where he was too close to the wall and the opponent hit the wall and dropped awkwardly to the ground (obviously unplanned).

Yeah those are great ? 

Really most of that is nothing a lot of us haven't seen so don't worry too hard if you're wondering whether to watch. It makes me wonder about a Mendoza line for hardcore/death match wrestlers. I'm guessing the level right below is... Mike Samples? 

EDIT: I would consider the song over the video more dangerous to one than the video

EDIT II: It's also funny to see a guy dressed like a fat Verne Gagne calling himself "the Dark Lord of Hardcore"

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Pro wrestling mendoza line to me is someone like Tomko.   Here's a guy who is just a guy.  Not offending me. Not having any good matches.  Just a guy doing stuff without being any good or without sticking out so much that we are going to discuss how much he sucks. 

• Like 6