DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

I suppose 3-4 ways allow for greater roster exposure, but truly hoping they slow down the multis and stick to straight up one on one or two on two tags and singles.  Or 6 man/woman tags - looking forward to the 6 man on the pre.  Also looking forward to the Dark Order debut.  From what I've seen of them on the Canadian Indies they look really solid.  This whole card interests me.  I suspect either Luchas/SCU or Cima-Omega to be the darkhorse.  I expect the Main to be nothing short of excellent.   

• Like 1

Once SSB/Dark Order start wrestling, I hope people can move on from their less than great first impression. They're a very good tag team. I've said it before and I'll say it again: they were in my favourite PWG match ever. I was dying from laughter and shock with the shit everybody pulled off in this one, particularly Nick:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Did everybody in the crowd immediately turn into Mike/Joel & The Bots as soon as you heard Ross’s southern screams of horror?

Oh man. So, it was at the Conseco/Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indy, which had some top sections blocked off. So, you don't want to turn the fans off more than they were already turned off.

And then they did a main event angle via video, which everyone groaned at.  It was just dying such a death in the crowd, but no one left because we knew we would probably get some Stone Cold shenanigans after the show.

So we got JR set on fire, the crowd shit all over it, but Stone Cold came out and made us all forget. He was probably out there for a good 10 or 15 minutes swimming in beer, giving people stunners, etc.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I suppose 3-4 ways allow for greater roster exposure, but truly hoping they slow down the multis and stick to straight up one on one or two on two tags and singles.  Or 6 man/woman tags - looking forward to the 6 man on the pre.  Also looking forward to the Dark Order debut.  From what I've seen of them on the Canadian Indies they look really solid.  This whole card interests me.  I suspect either Luchas/SCU or Cima-Omega to be the darkhorse.  I expect the Main to be nothing short of excellent.   

At this point I'm very okay with it.  TV hasn't started yet and they seem to be of the mindset that they need to introduce/showcase everybody when possible so when it does start they'll all be established in some way.  Plus unless they announce a show before then this is the last show before All Out so might as well feature who you can.  And if multi-man/women matches serve as a way to do that then I'm in.  Now if they continue this pattern on the TV show then that's definitely overkill.

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Kenny Omega tweeted that they have one last "exciting" announcement for tomorrow's show that will be released around 1 pm EST

If that news about that someone getting their visa is true, then this might be that big debut I’ve been waiting for.

According to the WON, there are people in WWE who believe that LAX will likely start up with them in September, but most close to the matter expect that the team will sign with AEW. The two would have more freedom and be featured stars in AEW, where their style will be a better fit. In addition, Konnan has been a major part of their act and there is at least a chance that he could continue in that role in AEW. WWE would likely start them in NXT and there is almost no chance Konnan would be brought in. In addition, while they would make more money if they made it to the top of WWE, AEW will pay them more than WWE would to put them in NXT.

As for Impact, aka John Hennigan, he’s older at 39 but is still able to work an athletic style. As of a few months ago, he still considered his acting work to be his primary job and the wrestling work just paid the bills so he could make a name for himself in acting. He would be able to do that in AEW with the more limited schedule there, and WWE would have to approve any outside work he wanted to do. That said, he is still not leaning in either direction according to the latest word. Hennigan is of course known for his run in WWE as John Morrison, where he worked from 2002 (in developmental) through 2011.

Company jumps are always exciting on paper, but do either John Impact or the LAX bring a whole lot to the mix in either company?  Or are they better off building their own, perhaps more fresh, stars?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Company jumps are always exciting on paper, but do either John Impact or the LAX bring a whole lot to the mix in either company?  Or are they better off building their own, perhaps more fresh, stars?  

I think the world of John but LAX is a much better fit for AEW than him.  If he's set on acting then I can see him doing that for a bit with some indy dates on the side.  But LAX would be money and there's some damn fine matchups that could happen there.

• Like 1

Johnny *Insert Name* isn’t a wrestler I’d be clamoring for out of the gate, but he might be a good athletic rival for Omega to showcase Kenny’s abilities on a big stage. Which is something Jericho isn’t capable of doing at this stage in his career. But Johnny shouldn’t be a centerpiece. He won’t be for either, but he might be used better in AEW. I just have this feeling Johnny will end up as a veteran undercarder like Hardy, and Rey if he goes back to the WWE. 

You speak of LAX as if they are used up talent from another major promotion. A lot of fans don’t honestly know anything about them, except that they are the new incarnation of LAX, and they got their impressions of them from 2nd( 3rd?(4th?)) hand information. So the idea they won’t be seen as fresh doesn’t hold up.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

18 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You speak of LAX as if they are used up talent from another promotion. A lot of fans don’t honestly know anything about them, so the idea they won’t be seen as fresh doesn’t hold up.

Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion, but I certainly did not mean to indicate that. Truth be told LAX is completely new to me.  I haven't seen more than a few highlights of them.  What I was trying to say was, are they a whole lot better or more valuable than what they have (Angelico/Evans, SCU, Best Friends, Dark Order etc.)?  I compare as to say they've got a bunch of strong teams already and only so many hours of TV to fill.  But I really honestly don't know, curious what those that have followed both them and Impact think about their potential in the promocion?  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

9 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

But I really honestly don't know, curious what those that have followed both them and Impact think about their potential in the promocion?  

Impact has been a needed star for...well...Impact and has been pretty damn great in the main event picture.  Now that Cage and Elgin are in the mix last I heard he was battling Swann for the X title.  So he could have been heated back up for the heavyweight title but left instead.  Despite all that if it was anywhere but AEW or WWE I'd say his potential is high.  Shit, even in ROH his potential would be higher and given who's champ might be needed.  As for LAX their potential for AEW is sky-high.  They've had some killer matches including against Lucha Bros multiple times.  While I'd rather not see that match for a bit for a new audience I can understand the reasoning for them doing a match on a bigger stage.  As for WWE even in NXT their potential is not as high.  The matchups might be good but not quite like it would be for AEW.  And don't get me started on if they were to be called up unless somehow things miraculously improve under Heyman and/or Bischoff.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

We should just start calling them Santana and Ortiz. The LAX name is the one part of the act that Impact owns (AFAIK), so they'll need a new team name most likely. Although I could see them being named the Latin American Xperience in WWE. Their pre-TNA names were Angel Ortiz (Ortiz) and Mike Draztik (Santana) and they were part of Team Pachuchu Projects in Beyond Wrestling. They're very much another team in the Lucha Bros/ Young Bucks mode of high speed highspots, so they'd fit in with AEW very well. Or WWE, but there's less on the horizon there in terms of tag teams.

As far as seeing a return of John Morrison (or Johnny Nitro, if he goes back to the Bischoff sycophant deal) or the debut of Johnny Elite, actually staying in Impact might not be the worst idea for him. Taya's still there, and there are guys he's not feuded with, like Eddie Edwards. AEW say they want talent that's fresh, and no offence to him, but that's the one thing he isn't. He's been everywhere and been seen by everyone. If he wants to part time Wrestling and do movies number one, maybe just doing small indies for a few months and taking the lay of the land next year might be a better idea for him.

• Like 3

Johnny wants a limited schedule-  AEW would be a fairly limited schedule but still national exposure.

I don't see him going to NJPW, and ROH has the lesser TV deal.   AEW , having a showcase feud with Omega, then helping to elevate Page, and then perhaps shifting to tag work with someone (Johnny and MJF perhaps as a Miz/Morrison part II?) would be a good career arc for him.

If I were booking things, I'd book LAX to join up with Andrade and form a Los Ingobernables type stable in WWE, but Vince seems to either hate stables or won't allow any "faction" to have more than 3 dudes in it. No one ever tell him there's currently 4 guys in TUE.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

We should just start calling them Santana and Ortiz. The LAX name is the one part of the act that Impact owns (AFAIK), so they'll need a new team name most likely. Although I could see them being named the Latin American Xperience in WWE. Their pre-TNA names were Angel Ortiz (Ortiz) and Mike Draztik (Santana) and they were part of Team Pachuchu Projects in Beyond Wrestling. They're very much another team in the Lucha Bros/ Young Bucks mode of high speed highspots, so they'd fit in with AEW very well. Or WWE, but there's less on the horizon there in terms of tag teams.

A year or two ago, Impact instituted a new “worker friendly” policy that guys could take their gimmicks with them when they left (back when they were in dire need of some good PR).  So LAX don’t necessarily have to give the name up, if that’s still in play.

I don't necessarily agree with the assessment that LAX in AEW would be "money" or that "the sky's the limit" on their potential. But they'd be valuable pieces in AEW as tag wrestling is going to be a priority and those guys can do both your athletic high-spot heavy stuff and your brawling/plunder stuff very well. It's easy to imagine them getting more exposure on the AEW card than in the traffic jam that is the WWE/NXT tag hierarchy. Between the big two American options, I hope they land here. They'll be a good fit.

I think they were expecting Riho to be the one to get super over in those first two matches. But as it turns out Yuka Sakazaki got over more. Riho did, just not as much.

2 hours ago, EVA said:

A year or two ago, Impact instituted a new “worker friendly” policy that guys could take their gimmicks with them when they left (back when they were in dire need of some good PR).  So LAX don’t necessarily have to give the name up, if that’s still in play.

But they arent the "original" LAX, right?

I'd think TNA would own the intellectual property.

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

But they arent the "original" LAX, right?

I'd think TNA would own the intellectual property.

The original LAX is Homicide and Hernandez and when they went heel they were called The OGs.  So I would guess that since LAX is now tied to Santana and Ortiz they should be able to use it now.  It would be weird if they have a "worker friendly" policy yet pull something about gimmicks established before a certain time frame.

Actually the original LAX is Konnan Apollo and Homicide then Apollo no showed and they replaced him with Ricky "Machete" Vega who only lasted a couple months before Hernandez replaced him which. The most well know incarnation of LAX (Homicide and Hernandez) is actually the the third incarnation.

Of LAx guys I want AEW sign Eddie Kingston is on top of that list. Kingston could be a great heel gate keeper for the mid card - Main event A Razor Roman position sort of speak plus he could also become a break out star and there's tremendous main event potential in Kingston vs Omega, Kingston vs Moxley, Kingston vs Jericho just to name 3.

• Like 2