DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The venue looks so cool!

But the humidity looks like it’s kicking the fans ass. The visible fanning is noticeable. On another note... The white corner pads look cool. Maybe they should stick to that look.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

At least they're loud. Big reactions for Sonny Kiss vs Peter Avalon, even. And the thread isn't locked yet.

Not really sharing anything about the show, but once again I just discovered you can't rewind or pause this shit. Come on BR Live. This is fucking bush league when you can't rewind or pause.

I'm also using BR Live on a Roku if that matters.

34 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Not really sharing anything about the show, but once again I just discovered you can't rewind or pause this shit. Come on BR Live. This is fucking bush league when you can't rewind or pause.

It's their Roku app. Works like a charm on pc. 

Guest Edwin
34 minutes ago, Craig H said:

BR Live is garbage overall.

If you subscribe, you have to call them to cancel your account because they don't even offer that option on their app or even web interface.

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

It's their Roku app. Works like a charm on pc. 

I love Roku for nearly everything except the WWE Network and BR Live. Everything else is fine.

Makes me wish I didn't give away my Chromecast.

If you are going to run a really long show, you might not want to have your announcers put over that nobody has left the show yet.   I mean can you imagine Michael Cole putting over the crowd at Wrestlemania for not leaving after the 5 hour mark of the show and missing the main event.   

Alex Marvez is the worst in the worst possible way.  He isn't the shits because he is offensive or says stupid character shit like Corey Graves and Byron Saxton.  He is the worst because he is incredibly dull and doesn't have the knowledge of the indie business 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

Yeah, this wasn’t a very well paced show. The main event tag match just didn’t click at all like I hoped it would. 

Only match I would recommend would be Omega Vs. Cima, and probably the 3-way tag just to see how freakin over Jungle Boy is again. Also to see Luchasaurus get over with him. The rest of the show was a mixed bag of mediocre, and a really bad Women’s match.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

If they were going to run that long they should have started the pre show at 7:00 or 6:45. Great show but man that main event could have had 10 mins trimmed off of it as well as Page vs. Kip could have been 5 mins shorter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

If you are going to run a really long show, you might not want to have your announcers put over that nobody has left the show yet.   I mean can you imagine Michael Cole putting over the crowd at Wrestlemania for not leaving after the 5 hour mark of the show and missing the main event.

I get that announcing is really tough to get into but Marvez has had a rough couple of outings. I understand they want him there so when JR leaves the booth it's a natural transition towards a two man unit and he's got the growing pains out of the way as a third wheel. I just don't know though.

If you want to play a drinking game with this show on the replay drink every time JR mentions the wooden Ramp. He must have mentioned it 10 times at least. 

A Boy and His Dinosaur are sure going to move some T-Shirts tonight! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I get that announcing is really tough to get into but Marvez has had a rough couple of outings. I understand they want him there so when JR leaves the booth it's a natural transition towards a two man unit and he's got the growing pains out of the way as a third wheel. I just don't know though.

Marvez was really, really bad tonight. Compared to Goldenboy, Marvez was like, sub-Coach levels of bad. And it wasn't even what he was saying that was bad. He also made really weird facial expressions. It's like they have Brick Tamlin in the announcing booth or something. I get they like Marvez and I thought he did fine in the hype video, but I don't know if he's cut out to call wrestling matches. I don't mean to be rude, but he just comes off as really dumb.

• Like 3

Way too many Death Valley drivers. 

Brit Baker didn’t have a great outing. 

Luchasaurus is a star.

Jericho looks like he needs a sober October. I know he’s older but he just looks like a drunk. That spinning elbow looks like crap. 

Hangman doesn’t do it for me. 

Kenny/Cima was fun. 

Production seemed to miss a ton of stuff. 

JR getting in the refs all night was awesome. 

Booth should only be 2 guys. 

Show was good but too long. 

Move sets and styles to me, are a little too similar and this is coming from a dude who loves PWG. 

Still looking forward to the entire AEW crew getting better and better and figuring it all out. The in ring, promos and announcing (at times) are more exciting than anything WWE has going.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

If they were going to run that long they should have started the pre show at 7:00 or 6:45. Great show but man that main event could have had 10 mins trimmed off of it as well as Page vs. Kip could have been 5 mins shorter. 

I think you could have trimmed 5 to 10 minutes from nearly every match on the show. There's no reason Brandi vs Allie, Kip vs Page, or some other stuff should have run as long as they did. I still think it was a great show and I didn't have fuck all to do tonight anyway, but it was way too long. I didn't even realize it was nearly midnight when it ended.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I think you could have trimmed 5 to 10 minutes from nearly every match on the show. There's no reason Brandi vs Allie, Kip vs Page, or some other stuff should have run as long as they did. I still think it was a great show and I didn't have fuck all to do tonight anyway, but it was way too long. I didn't even realize it was nearly midnight when it ended.

Timing is such a crucial part of wrestling from the length of a match and when a wrestler should win a championship/drop it.

• Like 1

Other random thoughts:

• Holy shit did Luchasaurus look good tonight. This was the first time I saw him and thought he could be a star.
  • Please don't bring Marko Stunt back again.
  • There's a huge gap in the quality of ring gear. You either look amazing like Kenny, Cima, the Bucks, Cody, Dustin, Lucha Bros, Jack and Angelico, Luchasaurus, and some others...Or you look pretty shitty like the Dark Order, Kip Sabian, Sammy, Havoc, etc. The dudes who look shitty look like every bad CAW ever. You either look super cheap and schlubby, or you just have a bunch of kick pads and other bullshit.
  • The venue looked really fucking cool. I love ramps like that. I hope they do more unique venues for their TV shows. It added a unique look that worked.
  • The audio sounded better tonight until you had a wrestler saying something to a camera and it was clear the cameras weren't mic'd.
  • Fuck...Marvez was really bad.
  • Like 3

I don’t necessarily agree that time was the issue with Page Vs. Sabian. I think the main problem might’ve been it coming after the really fun 3-way. A slow singles match after that was a mistake. Maybe should’ve added another six man with Jericho on one side, and Page on the other instead of doing a singles match really. Also Page isn’t getting over like Jungle Boy, Luchasaurus, Darby Allin, or MJF are.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

That crowd died a death in that heat and with the pacing though. They tried to be respectful for the last two matches but they peaked for the 3 way tag. I hope they learn the lessons in these bridging shows. A show like All Out you can go longish (still shouldn't go beyond 4 hours) because you have a traveling audience of the hardest of hardcores and a packed card. A smaller show like this in front of a (I'm guessing) mostly local crowd cannot go anywhere near this long.

Dark Order looked great and the psychology of that match dropped off of a cliff when they weren't in there. Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy shone, as they should.

Fenix looked like he had some issue there with Kaz early on and the match never really clicked as a result. Kaz was also out of place for the Fenix dive at the end. That could've been borderline great but with the weirdness it drops to just good.

CIMA can't go like he used to in singles matches and it should've probably have been a good ~8 minutes shorter but that was still awesome to see my current favourite go with one of my faves from my childhood/early Japanese wrestling fandom.

I wanted to love the main but it was just bloated. They had some good ideas that could've been incredible in a condensed 20 minute version and with a crowd not so burned out.

The women's division is... pretty rough. The pre-show tag was okay. Bea really lays her shit in which is welcome and generally the problem I have with the large majority of western women's wrestlers. Riho had to eat the pin with all the outside champs and likely eventual AEW women's champ even though I reckon they'd like to keep her long-term.

I generally like how the undercard will not be stealing the thunder of the main matches but there is a fucking huge gulf in talent and popularity when you contrast the early and top matches. Too much. NJPW generally has that down the best even if their undercard matches are largely formulaic.

edit: oh and if the production crew missed a spot I didn't notice it, so huge improvement there. Still, use that cinematic style that Riptide and Defy rock, plz. It is beautiful and would really help differentiate themselves. And the tron videos look major league now too. So positive trends there.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

I think I missed the first match. First match I saw was the ladies tag. Quick notes:

Dr. Britt Baker apparently thinks all joshi wrestlers look alike. Outside of her, an enjoyable match.

Six man tag: Ugh. The MJF-Spears interactions were fun, but what's up with all the middle fingers? Janela crashing outside of the ring, only to look up at the camera, flip the bird and proclaim "Fuck You, Cornette!" is the bushiest of bush league shit. On the plus side, Allin did not die for our sins, and Janela's tights stayed up so I did not see any plumber crack.

Three way tag match: Stu Grayson was so good in this match. Angelico and Jack Evans as chickenshit heels is something I can definitely get behind. Liked Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus, but they lost me with the Marko Stunt interference. Babyfaces cheating in front of the refs makes the refs look like morons, and the babyfaces look like shitheads.

Brandi-Allie. Well, we got a heel authority figure already. At least she's more charismatic than Linda McMahon, but if this is a "revolution", they are starting the women's division off with the same old shit. Seeing the Aja-Awesome staredown was cool, but was I the only one thinking "They flew Aja in from Japan and gave her a payday to not touch anyone?" Nice work if you can get it.

SCU-Lucha Bros was good, even though the post-match challenge gave away the result of the main event.

Page-Sabian was there. Went a little long, but when a guy is limping around on a bad knee, what the fuck is he doing climbing to the top rope to do moonsaults to the floor?

Kenny-Cima was really good. Announcers were annoying all night with the "Kenny has ZERO SINGLES WINS" in AEW stuff. He had one match. Give him a 5 match losing streak, then you can start harping on it. It sounded like NFL Gameday trying to make a big deal out of a Patriots loss in week one.

I liked the main event, even with certain things not making sense. Like, if someone spits on me, I'm going into murder-death-kill mode, not shaking their hands after a match. Matt did a pretty good job selling his shoulder, at least until the finish. Would have liked them to use something else to finish the match, because they spent close to 20 minutes working over his arm.

They should have kept Brandi in the back for the cheque presentation. Heels don't get to be around for nice celebrations like that.

• Like 1