DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Regarding Apex Legends

Apparently that is what Titanfall 3 is/was

Basically Respawn came out and said they aren't making Titanfall 3 and that everything they had worked on previously is what became Apex Legends

That's a bummer because Titanfall 2's campaign is one of the better shooter campaigns I've played in ages.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

That's a bummer because Titanfall 2's campaign is one of the better shooter campaigns I've played in ages.

I'll co-sign that. The Titanfall 2 campaign is legit great and that game has one of the best sequences or moments I've ever seen. I don't even want to mention it because it will spoil it, but if you've played the game, you know what I'm talking about.

New game pickups: I bought three Blind Box VITA games from LimitedRun months back and they shipped to me a week or two ago. The idea of Blind Box anything is completely insane and against everything I stand for, but there's something about my sweet little VITA that makes me act irrationally. I had a pretty well-defined list of the games I did & didn't want - wound up with Home: A Unique Horror Adventure (top of my list of the 14 "common" games that made up 2/3s of the Blind Boxes), Ys Origins (top of my list of the "uncommon" games as I really enjoyed Ys 1+2 on TurboGrafx and want to get into the series) and The bit.TRIP (absolute worst case scenario as I already own the excellent Wii collection + downloaded it for a dollar on my VITA anyway). It was a rollercoaster opening those things. Good news is the LRG community seems super chill outside of the eBay resellers, and I found some dude to trade my bit.TRIP to for a copy of some doofy Kemco JRPG called Antiquia Lost. The whole thing had me so amped up that I picked up the excellent Rock Boshers right afterwards + just won bids on Dariusburst CS and Risk of Rain.

Definitely pumping the brakes on buying anything new, though. It was a fun binge but it was binge none the less.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Regarding Apex Legends

Basically Respawn came out and said they aren't making Titanfall 3 and that everything they had worked on previously is what became Apex Legends

Respawn may not make it to 2020 with that.  Respawn will get closed, the owners will do fine, they'll go back to Activision to 'revitalize' Call of Duty for PS5 launch.

Apex Legends needs a Platinum trophy list.

On 1/18/2019 at 2:42 PM, Matt D said:

Wait til the stupid twist.

I just finished "Disk 2" of FF 8 and this game is so batshit insane I can't even be sure which one. For better or worse I've never played anything quite like it.

I put the game down for a full week+ because when I got to more-or-less the second tier of spells, grinding all that magic to junction your stats was low-tier MMO boring. I really like the world which actually got me to come back. I actually want to see how this nonsense ends without watching a youtube video. 

The game is a giant, ambitious, lovable, mess. It's not a great game, but I kind of wish it was made 20 years later, and I'm glad it exists all the same.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I just finished "Disk 2" of FF 8 and this game is so batshit insane I can't even be sure which one. For better or worse I've never played anything quite like it.

I put the game down for a full week+ because when I got to more-or-less the second tier of spells, grinding all that magic to junction your stats was low-tier MMO boring. I really like the world which actually got me to come back. I actually want to see how this nonsense ends without watching a youtube video. 

The game is a giant, ambitious, lovable, mess. It's not a great game, but I kind of wish it was made 20 years later, and I'm glad it exists all the same.

It ends with you over-utilizing Aura for the last quarter and then getting careless and losing Squall in the last fight into the vortex and having to finish things with Zell and Quistis despite never using them in the game and being really glad that you went back and got the best Blue Magic spell just for kicks.

At least, that's how it ended for me.

List of spells I have actually cast in combat through 26 hours:

- Haste

_ Slow (haste and slow are, pretty easily, the strongest spells in the game to this point)

- Shell

- Protect

- Cure

- Curaga (once)

- Regen (Sorceress Edea 2 fight)

- Life (once)

That's it. I just abuse the shit out of GF in boss fights, and every other combat is just either draw-grinding magic for stat-junctioning or killing shit with fight to get AP.

I have not played the card game or upgraded a single weapon.

What a strange game.

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Regarding Apex Legends

To make this more confusing, they said yesterday that there is still a premium Titanfall experience coming later this year.

It really feels like every studio under EA is just a shitshow at the moment.

In fairness, Apex Legends taken on its own merits where we overlook the weirdness of EA launching a free shooter within a couple weeks of launching their big shooter, actually looks pretty fucking good for a free game? The ping system is really good and in depth for people who don't want to use a voice chat with randoms (E.G. sane people), the loot colour coding system is good, and it will literally put indicators on stuff that say things like "the gear you have already is better than this, don't pick this up". In terms of quality of life features, it's miles ahead of PUBG (which I'm continuinally mystified by its success, it already looks and plays like a dinosaur). Loot boxes seem to be just a bunch of cosmetics, so that shit's just fine. Servers were not garbage on day 1 either.

I still am too old for this shit, can't aim, and won't get into it. But if you're into shooters, you can't get hurt for free. They are also going to add a solo mode soon too. I am kind of mystified that it launched basically out of the blue with 0 hype.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I doubt my taste in video games lines up with most on this board, but I saw For Honor was one of the free PS4 games this month. I already have it on Xbone, but I highly recommend it. Once you get past the incongruity of the Deadliest Warrior setup and learning curve I think it’s one of the best games of the decade. 

If you liked Bushido Blade back in the day or just dueling with sharp objects this is your joint. 

Finished both scenarios on Resi 2 (Leon 1/Claire 2)... didn't enjoy the second run as much as the first but I don't know if that's because the sheen had worn off and it felt a bit more streamlined. Gonna have a breather before I flip the scenarios and do it again.

I did have a brief attempt at the Hunk 4th Survivor mini-game which was absolutely solid! Like, way more than the PS1 version. I got to the police station and had pretty much used everything up then got decimated by a Licker attack.

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

This was pretty amusing.

And it was rather information on top of that.  I might not have told the whole story but I'm at least not completely lost when seeing my wife play this.

15 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I doubt my taste in video games lines up with most on this board, but I saw For Honor was one of the free PS4 games this month. I already have it on Xbone, but I highly recommend it. Once you get past the incongruity of the Deadliest Warrior setup and learning curve I think it’s one of the best games of the decade. 

If you liked Bushido Blade back in the day or just dueling with sharp objects this is your joint. 

You had me at Bushido Blade.

Bushido Blade 2 was one of my all time favorite PS games.  It got all of the things right that the first game didn't.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Death From Above said:

In fairness, Apex Legends taken on its own merits where we overlook the weirdness of EA launching a free shooter within a couple weeks of launching their big shooter, actually looks pretty fucking good for a free game? The ping system is really good and in depth for people who don't want to use a voice chat with randoms (E.G. sane people), the loot colour coding system is good, and it will literally put indicators on stuff that say things like "the gear you have already is better than this, don't pick this up". In terms of quality of life features, it's miles ahead of PUBG (which I'm continuinally mystified by its success, it already looks and plays like a dinosaur). Loot boxes seem to be just a bunch of cosmetics, so that shit's just fine. Servers were not garbage on day 1 either.

I still am too old for this shit, can't aim, and won't get into it. But if you're into shooters, you can't get hurt for free. They are also going to add a solo mode soon too. I am kind of mystified that it launched basically out of the blue with 0 hype.

There's also a couple of conspiracies that I think people are playing into as well with this.

1) The Gaming Store Wars of Epic, Steam(Valve), etc, and this is a good way for them to prop up their Origin user base if this ends up being among the premiere f2p Battle Royale games.

2) Does rushing this out in a hush, hush kind of way show that maybe EA doesn't have confidence in the success around Anthem especially with Destiny being wiser with its content and there being legitimate buzz and intrigue around The Division 2.

The Division 2 Private Beta is out and is pretty much the same as The Division but with no snow/atmosphere and still in Washington DC. You have more fucking collectibles to collect IN A BETA.

Devil May Cry 5 Demo is out as well and is what you expect....AWESOMENESS.

Also, free weekend for The Tetris Effect and it's on sale. Stop whatever is you are doing and buy this. Seriously.

• Like 2

I thought about downloading Apex Legends, but it's team-based, even if features are added so that you don't have to verbally communicate with any of your team members. Eh...