DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

4 hours ago, Hand-Drawn Sprite Man said:

Question: how do the Wii/Wii U versions of multi-platform games compare to their Sony and Microsoft counterparts.  About the same?

At the moment, I'm thinking mostly about the Wii U versions of the Batman: Arkham games, Bayonetta, Assassins Creed III and IV, and the sports titles (Madden. Pro Evo Soccer, FIFA, etc.).

Varies wildly on an individual basis Wii U end, unhelpfully.

- Bayonetta ran way better on Wii U than PS3 which isn't saying much, and has cosmetic but cool Nintendo-themed extras. An example: choose the Samus costume and guns turn into her arm blaster, panther within turns into morph ball (with bombs when you jump that do small damage) and you can wiggle the visor on or off at any time including cutscenes.

- Haven't played Arkham City on any format but have the Wii U version lined up because I'd potentially value the gamepad features more than peak performance like I did with Deus Ex.

- I'd steer clear of FIFA Wii U as it is exhibit A of EA not having a good relationship with Nintendo. A lot of Wii U releases were either bare bones or late ports with everything thrown in and I think in general sports games tend to be the former.

I don't recall any Pro Evos on Wii U but I have a Wii port in my backlog because the idea of a big studio making a football game that plays completely differently to every other big studio football game of the last twenty-five years AND being good is something I can't ignore when they're stacked up on shelves for 'please rehome' prices. Wii remakes of games on rival home consoles in general will always be fascinating to me. They're like an alternate timeline where the PS2 never died.

I signed up for EA Origin like two years ago to claim a free copy of Command and Conquer Red Alert 2, and now that I've crashed out on Football Manager for awhile since I reached the FUCKING pinnacle, I decided to fire up Origin again and play some C+C Red Alert 2 for the first time in like, uh, since college, so fifteen years? Man, fuck, I'm old. 

Anyway, C+C Red Alert 2 is still an all-time great RTS and great game in general, just FYI. 

16 hours ago, Salads said:

I'd steer clear of FIFA Wii U as it is exhibit A of EA not having a good relationship with Nintendo. A lot of Wii U releases were either bare bones or late ports with everything thrown in and I think in general sports games tend to be the former.

Unfortunately that's still the case with Switch.  I stopped with the Madden games but picked up the two FIFA games.  It's definitely flawed compared to the other consoles but I still enjoy the crap out of them.  And at least if I wanted to show it off to my family I don't have to lug a console system and hook it up to the TV so that's a plus.  But it is hard to ignore the fact that Nintendo always gets the short end of the stick and I don't believe it's just due to technical limitations.

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The inability to get new characters in the WWE game really killed my interest.  At least with MPQ you have a really good chance to get them soon after they are introduced. 

What's funny is I am getting 3 to 4 new characters a month now in WWE Champions

The problem is they are rarely for the special event that is taking place

• Haha 1

More Captain Toad! What a momentous day this is!

EDIT: And the best Legend of Zelda game is getting a chunky 3D sprite remake! What a day!

EDIT X2: Yeah, I already beat the teaser DLC level for Captain Toad. MORE CAPTAIN TOAD NOW PLEASE. 

4 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

TETRIS 99 [4]
GAME OF THE CENTURY, MAYBE BETTER

I spent way more time playing this last night than I initially thought.  I'm not big on Battle Royale games but this oddly works incredibly well.  I was quite happy being in 25th on my last playthrough and hoping to get better.

The rumored Activision Blizzard layoffs happened yesterday.

It was 8% of their workforce which was around 800 people

If you had worked on Destiny stuff and were still with the company - it wasn't a good day

Also a lot of support teams all over the place took major hits

https://kotaku.com/the-fallout-of-activision-blizzard-s-massive-layoffs-1832597892

• Sad 1

Re: Tetris 99:

I'm going to have to start practicing on regular editions and get Effect, because I stumbled across a few Tetris pros streams of 99, and holy fuck they're already broken the game wide open and a speed I can't hope to achieve.  Learn to T-spin nubs

• Like 2