DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Magic Arena's newest patch has ranked traditional matches (yay!), duplicate protection for rares and mythics (YAY!) and Ravnica Allegiance. I'm not sure exactly what to build with the packs I opened, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Getting play sets of all the shock lands is going to take some time, though.

My only annoyance right now is that Allegiance drafts right now are gems only, and lot of gems at that.  hopefully after the initial rush is over, they'll add in paying to enter drafts with gold so I can do more than just get the packs from grinding.  That and sticking some Allegiance cards into the weekly award decks.

I really need to fire up Arena. The only thing that sucks is that I didn't transfer over my gems from the closed beta by a certain date so I think I need to contact their customer support to have that done.

Wow did BandaiNamco fuck up that open BETA for Jump Force

Here is an idea, don't announce start and end times with adjustments for EST, PST and Europe and Japan and when the servers can't handle the overflow blame b it on the fact that the time listed was meant for Europe only. A lot of people were pissed when not only they couldn't log on but BandaiNamco altered the BETA time for the second session with little time for people to adjust. As it is, I got 1 hour of playtime and the game was fun but now they've cancelled the remaining BETA times for this weekend because of how bad they screwed te pooch

James

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

All the shitting on Teferi is great.  They gave a black/green Sporling deck that was pretty good.  

Blue/White Wall decks and red/white are the rage right now.

Honestly, you don't even need cards that are that good to make a decent red/white deck, mainly because white is the current go-to for commons-only for a reason.

My most winning deck by far still remains Mono-Blue Tempo which is pretty cheap too (the only rare that is absolutely required is Tempest Djinn, though I also run a single Entrancing Melody). It absolutely crushes certain decks if you have the right starting hand, but I don't really have the resources to just easily build all the top-top decks. You will win a shit ton of games with it just by countering whatever their big turn 4 or 5 plan was. It is also a deck that leans towards some short games since you will know pretty fast if you are winning or losing, so it's great for doing dailys.

On 1/20/2019 at 4:36 PM, Death From Above said:

Honestly, you don't even need cards that are that good to make a decent red/white deck, mainly because white is the current go-to for commons-only for a reason.

My most winning deck by far still remains Mono-Blue Tempo which is pretty cheap too (the only rare that is absolutely required is Tempest Djinn, though I also run a single Entrancing Melody). It absolutely crushes certain decks if you have the right starting hand, but I don't really have the resources to just easily build all the top-top decks. You will win a shit ton of games with it just by countering whatever their big turn 4 or 5 plan was. It is also a deck that leans towards some short games since you will know pretty fast if you are winning or losing, so it's great for doing dailys.

Mono red burn has been tearing up BO1.

My goodness, my dream might be finally realized. A separate Magic thread on here. 

Microsoft game pass was $1 for a month so I'm playing a shitload of this forza horizon game.  Pretty good.  One thing I don't like is the drag racing.  Seems lame.  The other is the lack of custom mp3 soundtracks in game.  Fuck you. Bring that shit back.  The music selection is anemic.

I also downloaded gears of war 4.  So I'll beat that game in like, two sittings.  Then by the end of the subscription I'll be sick of the forza game and then I can cancel.

I think I might try that ea premier thing and play some of that anthem game.  I barely played 20 hours of Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 3,4,1...... so a month seems like more than I'll ever use on some of these online bullshit games.

I beat celeste.  It was okay.

I beat Deus Ex Mankind Divided (finally) seemed like there should have been more stuff after the last level.  I never really understood how the hacking worked even though I did it all the fucking time.

Since October I've mostly been playing my own goddamned Houdini pinball machine in the living room.   You can drink beer and play for three hours straight at 3 in the morning.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Mono red burn has been tearing up BO1.

My goodness, my dream might be finally realized. A separate Magic thread on here. 

Well, I mean, enough of us probably play it now.

17 hours ago, assfax said:

Microsoft game pass was $1 for a month so I'm playing a shitload of this forza horizon game.  Pretty good.  One thing I don't like is the drag racing.  Seems lame.  The other is the lack of custom mp3 soundtracks in game.  Fuck you. Bring that shit back.  The music selection is anemic.

Do you have Spotify?  If you download the app, you can play your own music over any game you want.  With that said, I don't know who decided to take custom soundtracks off of video game systems, but it seems like they fixed a problem that no one actually had.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

The custom music had more to do with streaming and the archaic process that is music licencing.  

Except, this is music that you own, being used in your house, how do they expect to make money off of that?  I'm 100% sure you are correct about it being a licensing thing, but it is absurd that they expect to make money off of music that is already theoretically bought and paid for.

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Except, this is music that you own, being used in your house, how do they expect to make money off of that?  I'm 100% sure you are correct about it being a licensing thing, but it is absurd that they expect to make money off of music that is already theoretically bought and paid for.

Because if you're streaming on Twitch and YouTube, and playing music that you have a licence to own but not publicly play for things that make monetary gains, you can't use it.  

If you're streaming in Twitch/YouTube, you're, in theory, getting monetary gains from it (Subs/Ads/bits/tips on Twitch, ads on YT), you're using licenced music to help make that money, therefore the licencing group wants their cut, or they block it.  So game/console devs just took the option out all together.

Because Streamers can make money off it, and streaming's a pretty decent thing nowadays, we can't use it privately anymore.

Just now, Raziel said:

Because if you're streaming on Twitch and YouTube, and playing music that you have a licence to own but not publicly play for things that make monetary gains, you can't use it.  

If you're streaming in Twitch/YouTube, you're, in theory, getting monetary gains from it (Subs/Ads/bits/tips on Twitch, ads on YT), you're using licenced music to help make that money, therefore the licencing group wants their cut, or they block it.  So game/console devs just took the option out all together.

I think they removed that feature before Twitch was even a thing, and even so that only includes a tiny percentage of gamers.  It also doesn't explain why using Spotify on consoles is A-OK, but using your own music is not.  

All this time, I thought that the biggest Bowling troll character in games was Roman Bellic. But as it turns out, Goro Majima is even worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I think they removed that feature before Twitch was even a thing, and even so that only includes a tiny percentage of gamers.  It also doesn't explain why using Spotify on consoles is A-OK, but using your own music is not.  

Spotify pays for the distribution licence, plus you possibly pay for some of the service if you have one of their sub tiers.  It's in the licencing, which has been an issue since YouTube started with ads and monetizing and people were doing Let's Plays, then that overflowed into Streaming.  

Twitch also averages over a million viewers a day.  That's not exactly tiny anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Spotify pays for the distribution licence, plus you possibly pay for some of the service if you have one of their sub tiers.  It's in the licencing, which has been an issue since YouTube started with ads and monetizing and people were doing Let's Plays, then that overflowed into Streaming.  

Twitch also averages over a million viewers a day.  That's not exactly tiny anymore.

Yeah, I know Spotify pays the distribution license, but that doesn't address the issue.  You aren't allowed to play Spotify music on YouTube or Twitch any more than you could play your own music on YouTube or Twitch.  So, we have to throw away that as the reason.  Since, the same licensing issues exist either way, why not let people use the music that they already own while gaming?  As long as you don't stream while playing the music, which is an easy thing to control, why take away that functionality for people who aren't streaming?  For the record, this is something that happened well before live streaming was getting millions of views.  I remember being able to hook up my iPod to my Xbox 360 when it launched, but one day I tried and it would no longer recognize an iPod.  It was not because of streaming, because streaming wasn't really a thing yet.  

On 1/17/2019 at 10:11 PM, Tabe said:

I'm just here to say that FF8 has the best soundtrack of the series. 

I mean, people can debate this if they want, but the man isn't telling a crazy lie. The soundtrack really is pretty strong. I am far enough in that now I have this stuck in my head.

This remains one of the weirdest games I've played in that I find the combat complete ass, yet everything else about the experience engages me enough to enjoy playing it. Though admittedly in shorter bursts than I did 4 or 7. For a 20 year-old game, it's remarkably cinematic.

• Like 2

My determination to avoid Kamuro-cho until after Mortal Kombat 11 lasted less than a week, because I am SO FUCKING BAD at God of War.  I've played hard games.  I beat the first two modern Ninja Gaiden games on normal difficulty, for Kiryu's sake.  And yet, I am dying at least once in EVERY FIGHT in GoW on norm.  And it sucks and I'm getting angry at it.  So...Kiwami 2.

My first experience with the Dragon Engine in Ch 4 is not blowing my doors off.  It's fun, it's gorgeous to look at in stills, but I don't really like the Y6 exp system or the physics and I don't really like all the stuff that didn't make the jump (the much more limited gambling options, for instance).  That said, I am all in on new karaoke, jit's SO much easier for me to see and play now, just wish there were more songs.

13 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

The noise they make when they move still creeps me out.

In other new, REmake 2 seems to be getting universal praise from the looks of it

It's good. Even if they cut several enemies out.