DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

Rewatching the first two Cornetto Trilogy movies this weekend.

Definitely like Hot Fuzz better than World's End.

Also, i recognize so many of these British actors now:

Bill Bailey, Steve Coogan, David Bradley, Olivia Colman and the Hound from Game of Thrones,

Beetlejuice is on TV right now. I still have a crush on Winona Ryder. Funny seeing Dick Cavett of all people have a role in this. I also dig the coincidence of this being on while the Beetlejuice/Miley Cyrus photoshop is a popular meme right now. What the hell ever happened to Geena Davis?

She just had a show a couple years ago where she was the President. And she just put this out last week

I don't really follow Geena Davis, but I love the "Long Kiss Goodnight

Beetlejuice is on TV right now. I still have a crush on Winona Ryder. Funny seeing Dick Cavett of all people have a role in this. I also dig the coincidence of this being on while the Beetlejuice/Miley Cyrus photoshop is a popular meme right now. What the hell ever happened to Geena Davis?

She just had a show a couple years ago where she was the President. And she just put this out last week

I don't really follow Geena Davis, but I love the "Long Kiss Goodnight

That's a very underrated action flick.  She was really good in Cutthroat Island too, which despite being one of the biggest box office failures ever is also a lot better than most people give it credit for.

I loved Otho.  He was also great in HEATHERS, not that Tabe will ever understand this.  AND he was the mayor of Halloweentown.

...and then he died

sometime between the last time I IMDB'ed him and today.

Whaaaaaaat?!?!?? Noooooooooooooo!

Why am I finding out about this here...now....from you?

I had such a shit night at work and now this. Fucking perfect.

I watched Bullet To The Head, Incredible Burt Wonderstone and Pain and Gain.BTTH was shit. Dull, boring shit.Wonderstone was predictable but enjoyable.

P&G was really good, due mainly to the performances. Michael Bay still makes shitty movies but this one is definitely not the norm.

P&G was really good, due mainly to the performances. Michael Bay still makes shitty movies but this one is definitely not the norm.

Dragged towards the end, but the scene with The Rock and Anthony Mackie in the strip club automatically makes that movie good no matter what.

In Her Skin - true story is a murder in Australia where a young woman killed a fifteen year old dancer she previously babysat. Not a great movie but features some outstanding performances, in particular Ruth Bradley as the killer. She is really great. Movie also features an incredibly disturbing, residing murder scene. I'm gonna day 6/10 but Bradley is a 10 in this one.

Man I really don't know what to think about Heathers. At times it's funny, at times just seems jumbled, most of the time seems almost quaint considering I grew up during Columbine etc. Not to say it isn't dark as fuck, it just doesn't work in the way I wanted it to. But hey, Christian Slater and Winona Ryder. And OTHO! "Those MTV video games" hahaha...

American Violet - Nicole Beharie is a single mom busted as a drug dealer by a corrupt DA looking to pad his numbers and general federal funds.  Based on a true story of a douchebag DA - who's still in office! - in Texas.  Can't say this is anything other than standard fare but it's compelling and well done.  And Beharie is smoking hot.  7/10.

I watched Larry Crowne the other night. There was a lot of really funny stuff in this, to be honest. Bryan Cranston and Cedric The Entertainer had great supporting roles, and Tom Hanks did a really good job. Ending was sappy as fuck, but it was to be expected. Decent little fluff piece.

Watched Hitchcock's Frenzy, which has the historical distinction of being Hitchy's first R rated film, and includes his first nude scenes. And they're used to horrific comedic effect. There's something really kind of vile and dark about all the humor in this one, which makes it even more fascinating. Then again, maybe that stuff wasn't supposed to be funny and I should be ashamed.

Also The Hobbit was not particularly good until the last hour. But it's got all kinds of problems in terms of characterization and pacing that are either Jackson's fault or Tolkien's problem. But Freeman does a great job as Bilbo, I just wish he had more to do. Also he totally tosses in an Office face reaction that almost killed me. Not really looking forward to two more of these. Maybe some kind soul will edit it all down to one movie for me.

I thought Pain & Gain was fairly brilliant. The only unfortunate byproduct being from now on when myself or others mention what a shitty filmmaker Michael Bay is, somebody will invariably pull out P&G as if one lone exception disproves the rule.

If not for a little weakness in the third act (I get that they were staying true to the original articles, which I found online, but the plot definitely lost focus) and a couple annoying Bay-esque flourishes, I actually thought P&G could've been a Best Picture nominee. It probably would've been had it been directed by someone more used to doing crime/caper flicks -say Steven Soderbergh or Quentin Tarantino - as it reminded me a lot of True Romance.

Marky Mark, Anthony Mackie and Tony Shalhoub were all very good but the Rock really impressed me. Not only was it Bay's best movie, it was by far Rock's best acting job ever. He had the toughest role of the three main bad guys; Doorbal is a wannabe and loser while Lugo is a straight psychopath. Rock had to play a larger range since he was constantly conflicted between trying to be a better man yet giving into his baser impulses. His scenes with Shalhoub where he was torn between being a pious man who does right and staying loyal to his asshole "friends" were outstanding. Call it fanboy babbling but this is the kind of performance that scores more well-known actors Best Supporting Actor noms. Hopefully this leads to more substantive roles in the future.

The intro to Layer Cake is brilliant.  It makes you question your stance against drug prohibition.

I also quote Layer Cake all of the time. "Back then, being black was worse than being Irish."

I went to see You're Next on Saturday.  It was more than I expected it to be and that was both good and bad.  It was pleasing to see that this movie had a brain but it wasn't as much fun as I wanted it to be at the end.  I should write an essay on the evolution of Survivor Girl for the upcoming Halloween thread.  Aliens changed everything and you can see it in this movie.

i will go on record and say that I enjoyed Pain + Gain. Sure, it was a complete mess but The Rock takes comedic direction like few guys do these days.  I went in expecting Markie Mark to be the funniest guy in the movie, but The Rock stole every scene he was in.

Man I really don't know what to think about Heathers. At times it's funny, at times just seems jumbled, most of the time seems almost quaint considering I grew up during Columbine etc. Not to say it isn't dark as fuck, it just doesn't work in the way I wanted it to. But hey, Christian Slater and Winona Ryder. And OTHO! "Those MTV video games" hahaha...

It is important to watch it in the context of the time it was released. 

Skyline comes across like somebody watched Cloverfield and said, hey, wouldn't it be great if someone took that idea and made a proper movie without all the found footage bullcrap (ie, there's an alien invasion but we only see it from the perspective of a few guys, and we see the armyu showing up but never saw then getting deployed or anything)? So it's OK... except they really needed to add a smart guy to figure things out and provide expositionary dialogue and that. And they killed people in the wrong order. But it's OK, sort of.

Watched Mars Attacks for the first time in years. Never realized that the redneck soldier was a pre-fame Jack Black. You can look at the different names above the title on the VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray versions to see how the Hollywood power struggle has been progressing (Natalie Portman UP! Glenn Close DOWN!). Really can't belive that at the time this was new, people thought Independence Day was better. It wasn't. It was shite. Mars Attacks was, and is, great.

• Like 1

Watched Mars Attacks for the first time in years. Never realized that the redneck soldier was a pre-fame Jack Black. You can look at the different names above the title on the VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray versions to see how the Hollywood power struggle has been progressing (Natalie Portman UP! Glenn Close DOWN!). Really can't belive that at the time this was new, people thought Independence Day was better. It wasn't. It was shite. Mars Attacks was, and is, great.

I remember very little about the movie now but I went with a group to see it and we ALL thought it was atrocious.  As in one of the worst movies we'd ever seen.  Maybe I need to give it another shot since I've heard from so many people that it's good.

• Like 1