DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Why do I feel like that mascot is going to ask me if it can crash on my couch and when I get home from work, it will be still be in my living room playing PS1 but with George Wendt?

I DON'T FUCKING LIKE THAT THING AND I DON'T WANT WENDT STAINS ON MY COUCH AGAIN!!!!

Dodgers now have 11 guys making over $10 a year.

The Yanks have 8 (well 10 if you count A-Rod and Vernon Wells but A-Rod doesn't count this year and Wells' entire salary this year is paid by other clubs). Even so it is less than the Dodgers.

But Yanks are evil. Blah Blah Blah

If the Dodgers sign Tanaka too, their rotation is set for the next five years with those two and Ryu, all of whom will be 27 or younger on Opening Day, not to mention Greinke. I'd rather pay younger pitchers that kind of money instead of an old fat pitcher like Sabathia.

I don't think the Dodgers will wind up signing Tanaka. Jayson Stark stirred things up today too saying he spoke to two owners at the owner meetings who said "Beware the Cubs" when asked who would wind up signing Tanaka. I don't doubt it, but I don't expect it. If they don't get him, I would prefer the Cubs go after Ubaldo Jimenez.

The Yanks have 8 (well 10 if you count A-Rod and Vernon Wells but A-Rod doesn't count this year and Wells' entire salary this year is paid by other clubs). Even so it is less than the Dodgers.

The Yanks image is a hold over from the 1990's when they were about the only team to do that consistently; its outdated now, but the Steinbrenner sons personality doesn't help their cause. How many teams are there now? Four or Five? Red Sox, Angels, Dodgers, Yankees are the ones I count, and I know I missed one or two clubs.

The Yanks image is a hold over from the 1990's when they were about the only team to do that consistently; its outdated now, but the Steinbrenner sons personality doesn't help their cause. How many teams are there now? Four or Five? Red Sox, Angels, Dodgers, Yankees are the ones I count, and I know I missed one or two clubs.

Although now that I think about it, the Yanks have always thrown their money around; not that there's anything wrong with it, but that's where the rep comes from.

Opening day payrolls of those teams since 2000 (data from Cots'):

eCraIcT.png

It's not a holdover from the 90s. It looks like it'll change in 2014, but if so, this'll be the first time in decades that the Yankees didn't have the highest opening day payroll.

I was meaning more about the perception is all, still WOW. I would have figured the Sox would have passed them during one of the title runs. . .