DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

20 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Yeah- I always likened the rise of wrestling styles as similar to the rise of anime and manga in the US:

The first thing to remember for all of it is Sturgeon's Law is in place: 90% of everything is crap. 

As it started, not a lot of anime and manga was released in the US- so what did get released was, by and large, the best of the best. So anime and manga got popular.

As a result, people brought over more anime and manga. There was still enough of a backlog that there was still a lot of good stuff- but as it got popular, a little trickle of crap started to get through and come to the US. It was still a small amount, so it remained popular.

As it was popular, and there was so much good stuff coming over, then it got popular enough they'd bring virtually everything over....and then, slowly but surely, more and  more crap got released in the US. As this happened, things started to come to a head.

Eventually, we got to a point everything is released here...but EVERYTHING is released here. We get all the anime and manga we'd want, but we also get a steady stream of crap just as much as the good stuff, and it's lost a lot of its popularity as a result.

I used to work for ADV Films, back when that was still a thing.  We would get together and do screenings of titles we were considering licensing, so I had to watch countless hours of anime that never made it to the US.  Trust me, 90% is too low.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Zartan said:

Tried to find this but all I saw was someone arguing with Dave that Ric Flair is a bigger mainstream star then The Rock...Then I remembered why I don’t go on Twitter. 

That was exactly it. Dave said something like the Rock was a bigger "pop icon" than Flair. Ryan Satin was incredulous that he said this (basically saying that because Flair had a 30 for 30 it showed what a "pop icon" he was). Dave responded that his definition of icon was really loose. Satin responded by tweeting the Rock directly shitting on Dave without naming Dave. Meltzer responded to the tweet calling Satin an asshole AND dropping that he was friends with "Dwayne"

It wasn't a good look for either of them.

However - I did like the tweet that someone had that was basically "Another example of Meltzer being behind on the times. We all knew 2 years ago that Ryan Satin was an asshole"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I realized that when I mentioned that MITB was becoming a co-branded PPV that I probably should have posted the full list of PPVs

For 2018

Royal Rumble    Jan. 28, 2018    Co-branded    Philadelphia, Pa.    Wells Fargo Center
Elimination Chamber    Feb. 25, 2018    "RAW"    Las Vegas, Nev.    TBA
Fastlane    March 11, 2018    "SmackDown"    Columbus, Ohio    TBA
WrestleMania 34    April 8, 2018    Co-branded    New Orleans, La.    Mercedes-Benz Superdome
Backlash    May 6, 2018    "RAW"    Newark, N.J.    TBA
Payback    May 27, 2018    "SmackDown"    Baltimore, Md.    TBA
Money in the Bank    June 17, 2018    Co-branded    Chicago, Ill.     TBA
Battleground    July 15, 2018    "RAW"    Pittsburgh, Pa.    TBA
SummerSlam    Aug. 19, 2018    Co-branded    Brooklyn, N.Y.    Barclays Center
Extreme Rules    Sept. 16, 2018    "RAW"    San Antonio, Texas    TBA
Hell in a Cell    Sept. 30, 2018    "SmackDown"    Nashville, Tenn.    TBA
TLC    Oct. 21, 2018    "RAW"    Boston, Mass.    TBA
Survivor Series    Nov. 18, 2018    Co-branded    Los Angeles, Calif.    Staples Center
Clash of Champions    Dec. 16, 2018    "SmackDown"    San Jose, Calif.    TBA

Basically all the brands swapped PPVs this year until Extreme Rules (which moves 3 months later). (Ie: last year EC was a SDL PPV, this year it is RAW, etc...)

Regarding the Jim and Andy documentary on Netflix, there's no way Lawler was in on it. If you came away with that impression, then I don't see how you paid attention to anything else in the documentary. The whole thing showed Jim Carrey being an enormous asshole as he took method acting to lengths that were nearly inappropriate. Everyone around him were bewildered at what the hell they were witnessing, others in that movie have talked about at various times what a clusterfuck Jim was and how disruptive Jim was, and the grossest thing was Jim actually acting like he was the son of Andy's real dad. Anyway, this includes being an asshole to Lawler and being incredibly disruptive and unprofessional to Lawler. If anything, Lawler made me laugh as the guy has been so exposed to all kinds of fuckery in wrestling that he wasn't really shocked that Jim was acting like such a tool. Lawler was doing the Jim face from the Office before the Office was even a thing.

Victator got it exactly right. Jim is trying to method act AS Andy and it's only his interpretation of who Andy was, not who Andy actually was. It's almost like Jim's read of Andy was that Andy was a gigantic asshole to everyone at all times and Jim fucking failed with that interpretation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I realized that when I mentioned that MITB was becoming a co-branded PPV that I probably should have posted the full list of PPVs

For 2018

Royal Rumble    Jan. 28, 2018    Co-branded    Philadelphia, Pa.    Wells Fargo Center
Elimination Chamber    Feb. 25, 2018    "RAW"    Las Vegas, Nev.    TBA
Fastlane    March 11, 2018    "SmackDown"    Columbus, Ohio    TBA
WrestleMania 34    April 8, 2018    Co-branded    New Orleans, La.    Mercedes-Benz Superdome
Backlash    May 6, 2018    "RAW"    Newark, N.J.    TBA
Payback    May 27, 2018    "SmackDown"    Baltimore, Md.    TBA
Money in the Bank    June 17, 2018    Co-branded    Chicago, Ill.     TBA
Battleground    July 15, 2018    "RAW"    Pittsburgh, Pa.    TBA
SummerSlam    Aug. 19, 2018    Co-branded    Brooklyn, N.Y.    Barclays Center
Extreme Rules    Sept. 16, 2018    "RAW"    San Antonio, Texas    TBA
Hell in a Cell    Sept. 30, 2018    "SmackDown"    Nashville, Tenn.    TBA
TLC    Oct. 21, 2018    "RAW"    Boston, Mass.    TBA
Survivor Series    Nov. 18, 2018    Co-branded    Los Angeles, Calif.    Staples Center
Clash of Champions    Dec. 16, 2018    "SmackDown"    San Jose, Calif.    TBA

Basically all the brands swapped PPVs this year until Extreme Rules (which moves 3 months later). (Ie: last year EC was a SDL PPV, this year it is RAW, etc...)

Surely there must be a Smackdown PPV missing between Battleground and Summerslam?

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Nah. You don't want to kill off Paige and company yet either.

Building to Paige defending the belt against Asuka at Mania would fairly logical, but I don't know how you occupy the Empress until then.

Asuka gets her reward for being the sole survivor of the women's Team RAW as a title match vs. Alexa. Then before the match starts Team Paige destroys both women and they go overboard destroying Asuka. Table spots, chair spots, possibly a blade job if Vince would allow it on a woman. Make sure the interference happens before the bell rings so  Asuka doesn't lose her undefeated streak plus it keeps her on the shelf for a month to allow Paige to get into the title picture. Paige then wins the RAW Women's Title at the Rumble and as she's celebrating, Asuka comes out and kills Team Paige dead. This gives two months to come up with various ways to pit Asuka against Team Paige. You could even have Paige recruit other women to be roadblocks for Asuka which would eat up more time. Hell you can add more time off with Paige offering a $100,000 bounty to injure Asuka, allowing Asuka to go into Mania "injured" which would allow her to be the underdog.

8 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Surely there must be a Smackdown PPV missing between Battleground and Summerslam?

Nope - that was part of the whole "cutting back" thing

Just like RAW is going from TLC (Oct 2017) to Elimination Chamber (Feb 2018) with out their own branded PPV

Looking at all of this Dustin Rhodes stuff, what if WWE found a way to move Dustin to Smackdown (Maybe a trade of Rhodes/Rollins/Crews for Owens/Zayn) and did a modified rehash of Miz's program with Lawler with AJ in the place of the Miz and Dustin in the place of Lawler. You can run AJ Styles/Dustin Rhodes for two months for the title to have a program for AJ leading up to Mania. 

• Like 1

Holy shit. AJ Styles vs Dustin Rhodes? TAKE MY MONEY!

Also, it was a weird time to think of this, but something came to mind while watching the UUDD Madden Tournament. I really want Kofi to win a World title at WrestleMania. I think the match people want right now is AJ vs Nakamura for the title at WM, but with Roman probably winning Elimination Chamber to get a match against Brock, it will be someone from SDL winning the Royal Rumble. Why not Kofi? I think Kofi vs AJ could be a hell of a match. So I guess if we don't get AJ vs Nakamura, then AJ vs Kofi would be something I'd be equally happy with.

• Like 2

Since I mentioned Elimination Chamber - the new internet rumblings are that the WWE will be doing a RAW women's Elimination Chamber match

If it is for the belt - then you assume it is Alexa, Asuka, Sasha, Nia, Bayley and Paige

If it is for the #1 contender aka Mania match then I assume you take Alexa out and put in either Alicia or Mickie

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

That was exactly it. Dave said something like the Rock was a bigger "pop icon" than Flair. Ryan Satin was incredulous that he said this (basically saying that because Flair had a 30 for 30 it showed what a "pop icon" he was). Dave responded that his definition of icon was really loose. Satin responded by tweeting the Rock directly shitting on Dave without naming Dave. Meltzer responded to the tweet calling Satin an asshole AND dropping that he was friends with "Dwayne"

It wasn't a good look for either of them.

However - I did like the tweet that someone had that was basically "Another example of Meltzer being behind on the times. We all knew 2 years ago that Ryan Satin was an asshole"

Wow I knew from the former tmz affiliation Satin was slime but I didn’t realize he was such a moron too. 

Someone on there asking Dave how a Conor McGregor vs. Haku fight would go gave me a good laugh though. 

I would have told Dave to be more mean on Twitter too had I read 1/1000th of his timeline. 

Apparently they are going to have Roman Reigns do an open challenge deal for the IC Title (It is a little unclear if it is just this week or going forward for awhile)

Multiple people have appeared to accept it including Finn Balor and Jason Jordan.

So there is your RAW preview I guess

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently they are going to have Roman Reigns do an open challenge deal for the IC Title (It is a little unclear if it is just this week or going forward for awhile)

Multiple people have appeared to accept it including Finn Balor and Jason Jordan.

So there is your RAW preview I guess

So when does WWE hire ADR back to win the title from Roman?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Regarding the Jim and Andy documentary on Netflix, there's no way Lawler was in on it. If you came away with that impression, then I don't see how you paid attention to anything else in the documentary. The whole thing showed Jim Carrey being an enormous asshole as he took method acting to lengths that were nearly inappropriate. Everyone around him were bewildered at what the hell they were witnessing, others in that movie have talked about at various times what a clusterfuck Jim was and how disruptive Jim was, and the grossest thing was Jim actually acting like he was the son of Andy's real dad. Anyway, this includes being an asshole to Lawler and being incredibly disruptive and unprofessional to Lawler. If anything, Lawler made me laugh as the guy has been so exposed to all kinds of fuckery in wrestling that he wasn't really shocked that Jim was acting like such a tool. Lawler was doing the Jim face from the Office before the Office was even a thing.

Victator got it exactly right. Jim is trying to method act AS Andy and it's only his interpretation of who Andy was, not who Andy actually was. It's almost like Jim's read of Andy was that Andy was a gigantic asshole to everyone at all times and Jim fucking failed with that interpretation.

And this does not get into the stuff Lawler talked about in books/shoots. Where Carrey tried to get Lawler to give him a shoot piledriver on one take. His reasoning being the director would have to use it. Lawler calmly catches Milos Forman alone and explains Carrey's plan. Director yelled cut right at the piledriver setup and called an end for the day. That is why Carrey is screaming on the mic in the footage. Then they cut the mic and I think that is when he actually attacked Lawler. The documentary was a bit vague here. 

One thing no one has mentioned is I think Bob Zmuda was fueling a lot of it. I also think Kaufman would have found it amusing to trick a megastar into making an ass out of himself. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

It actually strengthens it.

If we're gonna have New Day members winning the rumble/world title though, Kofi would be fourth choice on my personal list.

That other member is the trombone, isn't it...