DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC - EPISODE 4

RIPPA

Candice's match was pretty good. Taynara Conti has a lot of potential. She has a good look, seems to be charismatic, and was using her judo skills quite well. Savoy/Gonzalez was a match. Yeah so many of these matches have been held back by one of the women just not being very good. Here it was Gonzalez who really just didn't bring much to the table. Kairi and Tessa had a fun bomb fest I'd say one of the two best of the first round along with Piper/Santana. Kairi is head and shoulders above the other women in this tournament with her selling and crowd interaction. Everything fells natural with her such a great babyface. Kairi is so likeable even the people she beats likes her lol.

I thought Candice and Renee did fine as well. Decent opener.

I've liked Lacey for a while and thought she did good here. Taynara seems the most interesting of the greener women.

I agree that we will see better from Nicole with other opponents.

Kairi/Tessa was also pretty good. Kairi is so gonna be NXT's top face lol 

Agree with Conti being more impressive than Evans, but I get why they put Lacey over. Taynara, Rhea Ripley, and Bianca are some good looking prospects. Sara Logan was also impressive.

I like that they have time to build Kairi up with Ember and Nikki Cross being over and near the top of the card. Kairi vs Ember should be a money match down the line.

Kairi vs Tessa was really good although this is the match where JR's awfulness on commentary really shines.  I mean that explanation of Sane's gimmick was so damn awkward.   Tessa is really obsessed with looking into the camera.  

I am going to assume that Savoy got injured because being as the queen of the suplexes or something like that and then doesn't do one is kind of bad.  

Just shocking that Candice Laree has been in the business for close to 15 years and you have seen almost all of it.  Talking about making you feel old  :unsure:

Really liked Taynara Conti, wanted her to advance and hope to see more of her. Felt like Savoy didn't get to show much in-ring but she's badass with loads of charisma. Candice/Renee was fun with both looking pretty good. Awesome finale with Kairi/Tessa, thought both of them were excellent. Some great stuff throughout. Tessa is another that despite losing, we'll hopefully be seeing more of in the future. Very much looking forward to the rest of the tournament. Should have some great matches to come as they get more time with nothing in round 1 hitting ten minutes yet.

• Like 1

GO CANDICE, SOCAL REPRESENT, I LITERALLY HAD NO IDEA YOU WERE MARRIED TO JOHNNY GARGANO SO I WILL STOP TALKING MESS. God, all the fake Cage The Elephant themes are going to fucking kill me. The only actual person in the world I've seen who likes Cage The Elephant also curled his mustache every day. Anyways, Renee Michelle seems very modern. Candice winning with Joey Ryan's finish is perfect.

Lacey Evans has as much of a total package as you could pray for, gimmick and backstory wise. Bill Watts would cry if such a prospect landed in his hands. If Lacey keeps the handing out flags thing to kids other than her own, she will be over in like three weeks on the main shows. Conti has EXCELLENT murder eyes. This match was really scrappy and I appreciate that. I never expected to see Jig & Tonic in WWE ever.

Reina Gonzalez's hat rules. Savoy seems fine, good at working udnerneath at least. I feel like Reina's missing a big opportunity to not headbutt with the a loaded eyepatch. Shout out to the UWF-ass finish, and also Lita saying Jujigatame on WWE TV is weird.

Kairi having some fake ass pirates of the carribean music is great. Full Sail crowd is a bunch of starfuckers. The match was fine. Tessa seems like she's gonna be pretty dang good.

• Like 1

Candice/Renee was a good little match.

Conti/Lacey felt a little off to me, but still decent. Both showed potential, but Conti seems to already have some good presence and character. The murder stare after the loss was amazing. I totally want her to come and kick the shit out of Evans in NXT at some point.

Reina/Savoy was pretty decent. Thought it did well playing up Reina as a bit of monster.

Kairi/Tessa was really good, probably the second or third best match of the first round. I'm pleased to see the crowd already so into Kairi. The crowd reaction to the diving elbow was awesome.

I haven't followed Renee Michelle, but in all the time I've seen her in MCW she tends to wrestle to the level of her opponents.  If they're good she can have a good match, if they're garbage she wrestles like garbage.  That and she seems more concerned with pushing her modeling career over wrestling at times.  But she had a pretty good match and it was cool to see another MCW veteran on WWE TV.  I love Lacey and if it wasn't for folks like Kairi I'd be rooting for her to win it all.  She's going to be a star in time, and it might be sooner than we think.  I was more impressed though by Tayana with her judo style.  She's absolutely gorgeous but you don't want to dare mess with her.  That plus what she brings so far means hopefully continued success for her.  Haven't seen Reina/Savoy yet but sounds like I haven't missed much.  And Kairi is ADORABLE!  Yes, that warranted the all caps, my wife and I love her to pieces.  She's on a completely different level with her gimmick plus bringing the fire when needed.  She's a bona fide star and I feel bad focusing so much on Io maybe/maybe not coming in.  In all the talk beforehand I almost forgot just how truly valuable Kairi can be.  But she's wonderful and if anybody deserves the title it's her.

44 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I haven't followed Renee Michelle, but in all the time I've seen her in MCW she tends to wrestle to the level of her opponents.  If they're good she can have a good match, if they're garbage she wrestles like garbage.  That and she seems more concerned with pushing her modeling career over wrestling at times.

God forbid she want to have a backup career instead of solely living on money from indie dates?

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

God forbid she want to have a backup career instead of solely living on money from indie dates?

She can do what she wants, but there were times she was more interested in pushing that on fans than actually interacting with them.  It has no bearing on her as a wrestler, so even if you take this out of the equation I still maintain she wrestles to the level of her opponent.  I could see her as a once-in-awhile jobber for NXT talent and that would work well for her.  It was a good first round match to showcase Candace and I'm sure the next round is going to be better.

You call yourself the Queen of the Suplexes and then don't do a suplex? WTF? Hopefully Savoy, if she isn't hurt, is ready to chuck Candice around the ring a few times.

I liked how Conti/Evans seemed like a struggle and and a fight and wasn't super smooth. Both woman seem to have a ton of upside.

Candice/Michelle(heh) seemed like they tried to get too many spots in, but was a solid opener.

Sane/Blanchard was a bunch of fun. I'll pile on the lovefest of Kairi. She's a star in every way. Even JR's hacky garbage couldn't ruin that match. Blanchard looked really good. Vicious and intense. I also didn't like Kairi milking the elbow so much, but the crowd totally ate it up. 

I have my hopes up for some really special stuff coming in the next round.

On 8/30/2017 at 7:06 PM, Hagan said:

Conti legitimately looked like someone you don't want to fuck with. Green, but definitely great facials and carried herself as legit. She could be a fun heel. 

My favorite part of this tournament so far is how so many of the super green girls show something that makes me want to see more of them.  Conti isn't good yet, but I can see the potential to get there.  She has a good look, some unique offense, and she carries herself like she belongs.  Lacey Evans is a step down athletically from Rhea Ripley and Bianca Belair, but shes' still unbelievably athletic.  Both Conti and Evans look like women who would wish I'd shut up and go away.  I think Evans has star power, but I think her look/charisma is going to lead her to being a top level heel more than the bubbly All-American babyface.  She comes off as someone who would pick a fight in a bar to test her skills in practical situations.  I want to see more of both of these women.

Nicole Savoy and Reina Gonzalez was a match up I didn't quite understand.  Savoy is the "Queen of Suplexes" but they put her in the ring with a woman who is too big and strong to suplex.  Gonzalez was fine, but didn't show anything that made me want to see more.  This match was kind of like that stupid Michael Phelps racing a shark TV show.  We came for suplexes and didn't even get to see an Olympian eaten by a shark...or something like that.   

Kairii Sane is the best worker in the tournament so far, which isn't surprising.  If she doesn't win this tournament, it is because they want to swerve us somehow.  

9 hours ago, supremebve said:

My favorite part of this tournament so far is how so many of the super green girls show something that makes me want to see more of them.  Conti isn't good yet, but I can see the potential to get there.  She has a good look, some unique offense, and she carries herself like she belongs.  Lacey Evans is a step down athletically from Rhea Ripley and Bianca Belair, but shes' still unbelievably athletic.  Both Conti and Evans look like women who would wish I'd shut up and go away.  I think Evans has star power, but I think her look/charisma is going to lead her to being a top level heel more than the bubbly All-American babyface.  She comes off as someone who would pick a fight in a bar to test her skills in practical situations.  I want to see more of both of these women.

Nicole Savoy and Reina Gonzalez was a match up I didn't quite understand.  Savoy is the "Queen of Suplexes" but they put her in the ring with a woman who is too big and strong to suplex.  Gonzalez was fine, but didn't show anything that made me want to see more.  This match was kind of like that stupid Michael Phelps racing a shark TV show.  We came for suplexes and didn't even get to see an Olympian eaten by a shark...or something like that.   

Kairii Sane is the best worker in the tournament so far, which isn't surprising.  If she doesn't win this tournament, it is because they want to swerve us somehow.  

There have been some real head-scratchers thus far. though more due to booking and presentation than anything else .  Yes, by all  means let's babble about Nicole being the "Queen of Suplexes" and then not have her do any. I don't know, maybe the gimmick is that she collects them or something. As many have pointed out, Kairi is an instant star, she's just fantastic in every possible way. Here's where I see a possible problem, she's too good...  There is no one in the tournament that can keep up with her, which I think  we can all concede is a problem. Not to worry, they can swerve us by having a monster  beat her in the final, except for one little detail, it's a single elimination tournament and all of the believable monsters have gone bye-bye. ;-( 

4 hours ago, OSJ said:

Not to worry, they can swerve us by having a monster  beat her in the final, except for one little detail, it's a single elimination tournament and all of the believable monsters have gone bye-bye. ;-( 

The brackets don't work out for it to wait until the finals, but if you're saying Piper Niven isn't a believable monster, well...FUCK THAT JOHN.

50 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

The brackets don't work out for it to wait until the finals, but if you're saying Piper Niven isn't a believable monster, well...FUCK THAT JOHN.

After all these years you should know my typing is as distinctive for me dropping words as DEAN is for the tilde~. I meant to type "almost all".  Although now that I think about it some Piper Niven doesn't really wrestle in the monster mode like Dump Matsumoto did,  I get much more of a BamBam Bigelow/Crusher Blackwell vibe from her in the context of large, technically skilled wrestler that can really go.  (HA! I dropped "really" but I proofed this one) ;-)  The distinction is a slight and pretty subtle one that I'd expect only you and a handful of others to get, but it's definitely there.  I see her as someone who is going to surprise people with the range of stuff she can do. I recall the first time I saw Jerry Blackwell, and I was thinking "why is anyone spending money on this guy, he looks like Haystacks Calhoun going out for an evening of watching cockfighting, terrible look, probably is as immobile as Haystacks... Five minutes later ol' Jerry was in there throwing dropkicks and I kept my mouth shut.  Thing is, Piper's AFAIK has always been a big girl and there's a world of difference between someone who has always carried a lot of weight on their frame and someone who starts adding the pounds in their thirties, due to a changing metabolism and not making the necessary adjustments. The person who has always been big knows how to deal with it just fine... The person who has just grown into a new dimension, (so to speak) is going to be very unpleasantly surprised at their new limitations. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phil Schneider said:

We reviewed this show on Segunda Caida

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2017/09/mae-young-classic-episode-4.html

We go all in on Tessa Blanchard

I've always disliked that USO show pin-up gal look...

I get not liking that look in the context of wrestling, but....that woman pulls it off.  I truly believe she's ultimately going to be a heel.  She's likable enough, but I think her look, size, athleticism, and moveset all feel like a heel to me.  I think she's one of the few women on the roster who will be able to pull off viciousness.  I don't know why, but I think the pin up model with a vicious streak works in a way that All-American pin up girl doesn't.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

And rightfully so. Kind of surprised she didn't go further. Is there any reason she isn't signed anywhere yet?

She's toured with Stardom this year, though I don't think especially high up the card, and she isn't part of the 5* Grand Prix. 

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I get not liking that look in the context of wrestling, but....that woman pulls it off.  I truly believe she's ultimately going to be a heel.  She's likable enough, but I think her look, size, athleticism, and moveset all feel like a heel to me.  I think she's one of the few women on the roster who will be able to pull off viciousness.  I don't know why, but I think the pin up model with a vicious streak works in a way that All-American pin up girl doesn't.

I agree that she comes off a little heelish, especially in her promo after defeating Taynara and her "Judy throws"