DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

12 hours ago, zev said:

I like your sly way of invoking your own first name.

I mean, "Creative has nothing for you" is a common phrase on wrestling boards, right?

You're giving me far too much credit their son

• Like 1

Thinking back to March Madness past to see if Davey would win a match on the board, I came up with Mr. Anderson...Anderson. Ugh.

I bring this up with the strong views on Seth Rollins here but more so about Dolph Ziggler. When did 'net opinion change on Dolph? I think to 2013 when Dolph Ziggler won the World Heavyweight Championship to a huge pop via Money in the Bank contract on Alberto Del Rio. Dolph Ziggler getting rid of the Authority (Hah, fat chance !) in a traditional Survivor Series elimination match at the 2014 Survivor Series.

I remember a post here saying Kevin Owens stayed down in the WrestleMania XXXII Ladder match for the WWE Intercontinental Champion to avoid getting hit by repeated superkicks from fuckface. Since then, Dolph wears tights with crappy slogans on and smaller crowd reactions. Dolph lost the Miz feud with the exception of the No Mercy 2016 match when he put his career on the line and people hoped that would be the end of Dolph. Miz battered Ziggler on the microphone. 

Least you'll get Shinsuke Nakamura drilling him with knees at Backlash 2017 ; ).

Ziggler's just one of those guys who has repeatedly been given the ball again and again and has always failed to capitalise on it.

Take the recent Miz feud as an example, I have no problem believing the Miz pretty much booked the whole thing, it got Ziggler red-hot, his career was on the line and he won! Then... nothing.

I just think he's awful, everything about him seems half-assed from his 'rock n roll' gimmick that seemed to just involve him putting band patches on his waistcoat and nothing else to his recent heel turn from out of nowhere. There's no redeeming features about him outside of his athleticism and with that in mind he should just be in the mechanic role he inevitably falls into again and again after each failed push 

• Like 1

Dolph's promo voice drives me nuts, and the Megadeath thing pissed me off to no end, but I have to give the guy a little bit of credit for not outright quitting after some of the booking decisions they've made with him since 2012-2013 or so. I hate to bring the phrase "political hit" back into the lexicon, but...

Ziggler looked like he had a lot of potential and was really over for a while but he was really hindered by the concussion right after taking the belt of of ADR plus splitting his group with AJ and Big E after his title win was a mistake too, that group had really great chemistry. After he came back it was more start stop pushes and he got really annoying with the whole "just going to put on a good show" stuff because one it's too wink wink nudge nudge and two he gave into most of his worst tendencies to try to get momentary pops rather than sustained crowd engagement. 

• Like 3

At first seeing Stuart my mind first went to a gimmick where Ziggler had a friend who would be asking him if he know what the queers were doing to the soil.

But yeah he's totally Stuart, he already dresses like him, he needs to realize he needs to be less Stuart and more like Todd. Todd's cool.

• Like 1

Ziggler is a living fossil. During 2010-2012 you had a whole bunch of average to below average workers on the roster. He was crazy athletic and  selling all over the place. Even though he was jobbing left and right he stood out. If you look at the rosters those years you can see how he would fit into the top 5 of guys who actually got regular tv time.

But that was several years back. He never became much of a storyteller in the ring..he stopped with the death defying selling..and the rosters workrate greatly improved. 

Today you can make a compelling argument that he's not a top 25 worker on the active roster. 

• Like 1

The only run of Ziggler's I ever enjoyed was when he was Vicki Guerrero's toyboy against Edge. Hey, actually that reminds me - remember when they moved them over to Raw and made Ziggler dye his hair dark and cut it and somehow, someway, by WWE logic this made him 'new and improved'?

The Survivor Series thing was another good point. He'd been built and built and it worked but then... nothing. It's like he can't hold up his end of the bargain and is given chance after chance whereas a guy like Luke Harper, who has all the potential in the world, just sorta lingers around being given nothing

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

The only run of Ziggler's I ever enjoyed was when he was Vicki Guerrero's toyboy against Edge. Hey, actually that reminds me - remember when they moved them over to Raw and made Ziggler dye his hair dark and cut it and somehow, someway, by WWE logic this made him 'new and improved'?

The Survivor Series thing was another good point. He'd been built and built and it worked but then... nothing. It's like he can't hold up his end of the bargain and is given chance after chance whereas a guy like Luke Harper, who has all the potential in the world, just sorta lingers around being given nothing

Luke Harper and Cesaro so deserve better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

At first seeing Stuart my mind first went to a gimmick where Ziggler had a friend who would be asking him if he know what the queers were doing to the soil.

But yeah he's totally Stuart, he already dresses like him, he needs to realize he needs to be less Stuart and more like Todd. Todd's cool.

Mf'r doesn't know that a burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground.

• Like 1