DVDVR Message Board

Random TV Thoughts

EVA

I assume Cory Montheith getting a featured tribute might have been an attempt to appeal to younger viewers.  I always see articles about how these shows attract big numbers but it's an old skewing audience.  Though tributes to people like Jonathan Winters and Jean Stapleton and Elton John singing a song about Liberace probably cancelled out any chance of young people watching the show.

I love Big Bang Theory, but recently, I'm finding Kelly Cuoco...unlikeable. It's not like she ever says or does anything bad, it's just the perceived smugness on her part that I just find irritating.  I would think that she realizes how replaceable she really is.

• Like 1

Whoever thought up the "Tributes" sprinkled throughout the show for the In Memoiram thing, and then choose certain people to get special tributes needs to go, and they never need to do that ever again.  Fuck giving a tribute to Cory Montheith, while Larry Hagman, Roger Ebert, and Jack Klugman got the little blip treatment.  

Klugman's son is on record as being upset over it, and I think Hagman's co-stars took exception to it as well.  Let's be honest--Winters only got the nod because his former Mork & Mindy co-star Robin Williams has a new show to promote.

Monteith's inclusion was definitely about trying to secure a young audience.  I get it and I feel bad in that he's being kicked around needlessly. (Klugman's son said Monteith's death was self-inflicted, which upset Monteith's still distraught mother.  Which it was, but the same could be said for the elder Klugman's chain smoking for decades.)  It's just a bad look for everyone involved.

And, I mean, it's not like Glee isn't a massively successful show.  There is a strong argument for Monteith getting a tribute spot based on him being a central player on one of the most popular shows on television today.

Don't think we're gonna have a "How I Met Your Mother" Thread...

but yeah, I would put money down on the Mother died before Future Ted tells the story to the kids, and that's why its been going on for so long.

Been watching Bob's Burgers this week (Comcast has all of season 3 available via On Demand).  It's actually funny.  Actually, it's consistently very funny.  I had no idea.  It's never looked like much to me, so I the only episode I've ever watched is the pilot.  Maybe.

Are seasons 1 and 2 as good?  'Cause if they are, I need to track down the season sets asap.

Bob's Burgers is awesome. I say watch them all!

And, I mean, it's not like Glee isn't a massively successful show.  There is a strong argument for Monteith getting a tribute spot based on him being a central player on one of the most popular shows on television today.

Not over Larry motherfucking Hagman there isn't.

• Like 1

Actually, it's not a massively successful show nor is it one of the most popular shows on either.  It had a big first two seasons, but it's been riding off that ever since.  Last season it ranked 49th, being beaten by such ratings juggernauts as Made In Jersey and Undercover Boss.

He may have had two good years on a hit show.  Hagman had over a decade on one of the most successful shows in history.

There's a strong argument that someone should make a disrespectful parody "tribute" video on Youtube based on fans of Glee deserving to get their feelings crapped on.

And, I mean, it's not like Glee isn't a massively successful show. There is a strong argument for Monteith getting a tribute spot based on him being a central player on one of the most popular shows on television today.

Actually, it's not a massively successful show nor is it one of the most popular shows on either. It had a big first two seasons, but it's been riding off that ever since. Last season it ranked 49th, being beaten by such ratings juggernauts as Made In Jersey and Undercover Boss.He may have had two good years on a hit show. Hagman had over a decade on one of the most successful shows in history.
Plus...http://youtu.be/SA1IB5ee8Kk

I haven't watched "How I Met Your Mother" in years (since season 3, I think).  Do they still show the kids?  The kids have to look years older by now, don't they?

Just wondering how they handle that in story terms.

They just used old clips of them making faces. But the season 9 trailer changed it up...

I didn't watch the premier last night, so I have no idea if they are using newer footage of the kids now.

I watched the pilot of The Blacklist and the writing didn't impress me a ton. It was like "modern spy shit: the condensed movie" pretty much. The pen in the neck scene was particularly ridiculous.

Based on the amount of cliche the pilot threw around, I will be shocked if they don't reveal James Spader to be the female agent's father at some point. They brought it up way too much to come to any other conclusion.

I thought we agreed to confine SHIELD talk to the Marvel thread?

Anyway, Joss Whedon is back on TV. All is right with the world.

I AGREED TO NOTHING~!

And I will talk more about the show in the Marvel thread since I am an old tard with Alzheimers.

Whoever thought up the "Tributes" sprinkled throughout the show for the In Memoiram thing, and then choose certain people to get special tributes needs to go, and they never need to do that ever again.  Fuck giving a tribute to Cory Montheith, while Larry Hagman, Roger Ebert, and Jack Klugman got the little blip treatment.  

Klugman's son is on record as being upset over it, and I think Hagman's co-stars took exception to it as well.  Let's be honest--Winters only got the nod because his former Mork & Mindy co-star Robin Williams has a new show to promote.

Monteith's inclusion was definitely about trying to secure a young audience.  I get it and I feel bad in that he's being kicked around needlessly. (Klugman's son said Monteith's death was self-inflicted, which upset Monteith's still distraught mother.  Which it was, but the same could be said for the elder Klugman's chain smoking for decades.)  It's just a bad look for everyone involved.

See, that's where I draw the line. The friggin Emmys are not worth upsetting people over.

• Like 1