DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXIII

HumanChessgame

Am I the only person excited for Wrestlemania? Having kids who are really into wrestling right now helps a lot, and we've been counting down the days for the past month.

It's not perfect this year. I don't care for much of the Smackdown offerings. The mixed tag and maybe the women, and was interested in Shane/AJ until they stated it would be a straight up match, but that's it. However, I'm looking forward to all of the Raw matches. Some of the favourites in our house are somewhat inexplicable (Cesaro & Sheamus, Enzo & Cass and Austin Aries) so there is interest in even the lesser matches like the Raw tag and cruiserweights

I don't mean this as an insult, but some of you sound so jaded. I can't imagine not being up for the biggest show of the year.

• Like 7

I've stated before that I'm looking forward to WrestleMania day itself. I'm still going to be in good company with friends who can get just as cheerful, or critical, in regards to the show as I can get.

Do I think some of the matches are going to be awful? Yeah, but most Manias have some subpar offerings. This isn't new. And some people on the current card I just don't like, so there's admitted bias going in.

Do I think some of the bouts will be super high quality from a "technical standpoint" or just fun to watch? Absolutely.

Will I enjoy the matches more if someone brings homemade cupcakes? Dang right I will.

• Like 1

It's odd because many people have been asking for longer builds for so long, and this Mania has some of the longest builds for the most matches in recent memory.

Orton/Bray has been an ongoing storyline since October. Goldberg/Brock has been going since November, albeit in a limited capacity due to the part time schedules of both guys. The RAW women have all been intermingling since the Fall in one way or another. HHH/Rollins has been building since Rollins was injured and had to give up the title, and even before then really since this was the rumored match for LAST year's Mania. Shane has been needling AJ on SD for months and AJ's frustration has finally boiled over. And Owens/Jericho has been going since the end of last summer. Lots of build up and storytelling for all of these matches.

The problem is, the programs they've been giving these long builds are ones that most don't really want to see or the writing of the builds just hasn't been that interesting outside of the Owens/Jericho feud. I appreciate that they've put this amount of thought in to their programs, just something about the way they've all gone leaves a lot to be desired. Goldberg/Brock would've been just fine without the title, and Owens/Jericho would've been that much more compelling WITH the title. AJ getting a match with Shane after the year he's had is disappointing to many and I think AJ/Bray or AJ/Orton for the title could've been much more interesting matches. Cena/Undertaker would've been more interesting than what they both are doing now. And I think the thought of what COULD'VE been at this show is what a lot of us are disappointed in.

I'm still excited to see the spectacle of the thing. I know that in-ring a lot of these matches will deliver. I'm just a bit let down because I feel like something so much more exciting could've been done for the biggest show of the year and instead we're getting........this.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The SDL women's match is back on the main show - at least the website no longer shows it as a kickoff match

Yeah, a push started earlier this week to make that happen.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I will likely be playing Mass Effect and checking twitter snark about the show. 

I have night duty until the morning of the 11th, so I will be sleeping through and DVRing the show.

Nothing more gratifying than stumbling out of a burger king parking lot at 3am and deciding to double team a statue of The Hulkster. 

Nothing more dissatisfying when a crowd of traffic is egging you on to slam him. Everyone's running wild, you hit two punches, a big boot.... and then barely move the concrete stumps...

• Like 2

Yeah, I know my time management sucks...but even I could get 11 matches onto a 4 hour show even with the stupid Pitbull performance with time to spare. What's going to really eat up time is video packages, backstage skits, interviews that go nowhere, and their publicity pieces about "look how wonderful we are".

My guesses for longest matches.

AJ vs. Shane, Jericho Vs. Owens, Bray vs. Orton

My guess for shortest matches

Taker/Reigns, Smackdown Women's title, Rollins/Triple H (unless they really want to go crazy and just have them redo Triple H/HBK from Summerslam 02 minus the blood).

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the roster "donated" time from their matches to make time for the SD Women.  Like, maybe they all spoke up and were like "I'll gladly give 2-3 minutes of our match to them", and then if 5 or 6 matches did that,  the women would have a decent amount of time.

HHH/Rollins going 35 instead of 40 and Jericho/Owens and Orton/Bray going 25 instead of 30 and Ambrose/Corbin getting 15 instead of 20 doesn't mean much to those matches in the long run, and then right there is 15 minutes for the women. 

But likely they instead cut the battle royal to 5 minutes and the RAW tag titles to 8 and the other women's title to 12 because HHH has to have his 10 minute entrance.  That's way more important. 

Just now, MonteCarl said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the roster "donated" time from their matches to make time for the SD Women.  Like, maybe they all spoke up and were like "I'll gladly give 2-3 minutes of our match to them", and then if 5 or 6 matches did that,  the women would have a decent amount of time.

HHH/Rollins going 35 instead of 40 and Jericho/Owens and Orton/Bray going 25 instead of 30 getting 15 instead of 20 doesn't mean much to those matches in the long run, and then right there is 15 minutes for the women. 

But likely they instead cut the battle royal to 5 minutes and the RAW tag titles to 8 and the other women's title to 12 because HHH has to have his 10 minute entrance.  That's way more important. 

More likely Jericho heard about this and started bitching about how everyone should donate to his match too.

• Like 2

Just now, Casey said:

For what it's worth, it's being rumored that due to backlash online that the SD Womens match has been moved to the main card.

For what it's worth - it was moved about 10 posts ago