DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXIII

HumanChessgame

I can't wait for the backlash when the SDL women's title match lasts under 5 minutes because it got moved to the main show.

If I could only watch one match from this show it would be Neville/Aries.

Nikki Bella posted a Youtube video yesterday saying that the doctor's had clearly her for Mania (she re-injured her neck last week and was diagnosed with a "slight herniation above where she had the surgery")

Seth's coming back from surgery. Taker's fragility has been discussed at length, doesn't need many slams and spears upon him. Lesnar needs to win in 10 moves or less to reestablish dominance (so he looks unstoppable when he faces Roman next year and Goldberg's not been booked to work long. Corbin's going after a heatless, rarely defended title against a person who we've already seen spend 15 minutes getting beat up at a Mania. JeriKO should be haymaker throwing Festival of Hate, not Chinlock City. AJ-Shane boils down to 1 or 2 crazy bumps and we know it. Mixed Tag comes down to whether or not Cena proposes to Nikki afterward, only 40 minute show to be had here is the Total Bellas ep that comes out of whether she says Yes or No. (Probably Yes, with her sister and brother-in-law in attendance, so Bryan can sign off on use of the Yes chants.)

None of these matches need to go half an hour. There's room on the main card for 12 matches. Just tell Pitbull and the Brodus Clay Dancers that they don't have to do more than 1 song.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Nikki Bella posted a Youtube video yesterday saying that the doctor's had clearly her for Mania (she re-injured her neck last week and was diagnosed with a "slight herniation above where she had the surgery")

I'd never make it a pro wrestler.  My response to being told I could work WM with yet another neck problem would be "Are you bleeping crazy?  There's no way I'm working another match."  My response would be even more emphatic if I'm one match from (semi) retirement.

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Per a very punch drunk Meltzer on the WON radio show

Taker/Reigns is the "probably" last match 

Sunday's Druids can be Monday's Centurions if Roman stomps him flat and takes his hat. Bonus pay for the developmental guys.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per a very punch drunk Meltzer on the WON radio show

Taker/Reigns is the "probably" last match 

God, I hope so.  Just to see how that's going to work.  I think the right result is Roman going over strong in a fairly one-sided match.  I'm also fairly certain the crowd would hate that result and boo the shit out of it.  Even if they're planning on turning Roman (I don't believe that for a second), the babyface usually stands tall in the closing moments of the show.

Honestly, the only argument I can think of for putting Taker over is to that the crowd will shit on a Roman win.  And that Taker himself is probably lobbying for a win.

I whoreheartedly agree with putting Taker vs Roman on last. At least in that match, you have one guy you can be certain the crowd will be behind 100%. Lesnar vs Goldberg could certainly work the way they want it to, but it's far more of a gamble. Being the somewhat risk-averse creature I am, I'd opt for a sure thing in Taker vs Roman.

Furthermore, Roman vs Taker includes a full-time guy who can parlee whatever happens in that match into his next storyline going forward on the weekly TV show. Lesnar vs Goldberg? Not so much. 

That said, I'm sure my thinking isn't representative of the company's. After all, they've been moving forward with conviction for months that Goldberg vs Lesnar is closing. Here's hoping someone smartened up. 

5 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Pro Wrestling Sheet is saying the They're getting JR back for one night only to call a match on Sunday.  My money is on Taker/Roman if true.

Holy hell I hope that's not true. Why would you put him out there calling a match so soon after his wife died, even it if is/might be Taker's last match?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Holy hell I hope that's not true. Why would you put him out there calling a match so soon after his wife died, even it if is/might be Taker's last match?

A combination of Taker asking for it and, much more importantly, it giving JR something to focus on. Having something to do can aid in the grieving process. 

Obviously I hope JR doesn't agree to something he's not emotionally prepared for. But it's not the craziest thing I've ever heard. 

33 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

What would do more damage to Roman?

1. Throwing more gas on the "face who everyone hates" fire by beating Taker at Mania OR
  2. Having yet another established top full-timer lose to a decrepit part-timer

I'll pose a question to your question: which outcome allows for a story, any story, to be told?

If he loses to UT, there would be nowhere to go with Roman.  It wouldn't just damage him; it would destroy his WWE career. He would likely need to leave the company because he'd be dead in the water.  There's not a redemption story to tell from losing to a nearly-crippled 52-year-old man while you're at your physical peak.  Sure, you could turn him heel.  But what good is that? It would like him throwing a hissy fit because he couldn't beat the old dog. But you can't allow Roman to say "Oh well, better luck next time!" and carry on as if nothing happened.

If he beats Taker, that can be used to create some sort of narrative around Reigns. It could go in any number of directions, some good and some bad.  But it would allow WWE to actually use an old-timer to put over the guy who could be one of their backbones for the next decade.

Reigns got booed to infinity last year and I didn't see him burst into tears over it. His promos seem to be embracing the hate a bit, so just keep going with that and see where it goes.