Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I'm sure he already released an autobiography about eight years ago, vague memories of him doing a book signing in full mask. I'm also sure he was already rich thanks to a dead aunt prior to starting in wrestling. And he was apparently in a relationship with his manager all those years ago

He had a book, but it wasn't an autobiography. It wasn't a great book, but did set up the worst pun I've ever written: http://www.prowrestlingbooks.com/the-grapple-manual-by-kendo-nagasaki/ 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2018 at 2:45 AM, Web Conn said:

Check out the Nitro book.

A much better book. And not co written by a guy that tries to get as much as he can out of his fans. That 10 anniversary edition of Death of WCW was the most blatant cash grab RD has done. It added almost nothing,fixed almost none of the mistakes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

A much better book. And not co written by a guy that tries to get as much as he can out of his fans. That 10 anniversary edition of Death of WCW was the most blatant cash grab RD has done. It added almost nothing,fixed almost none of the mistakes.

I couldn't disagree more. The 10th Anniversary Edition improved on the original and added some very nice content. For all the years of entertainment I'll never have a cross word about RD.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

What books have excerpts about the Fabulous Freebirds, either as a trio or as solo wrestlers?

Gary Hart's does; I'm assuming Bill Watts would also have some words about the Freebirds. Any others?

Forgot to mention that the one about the JYD naturally has some as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Liam said:

What books have excerpts about the Fabulous Freebirds, either as a trio or as solo wrestlers?

Gary Hart's does; I'm assuming Bill Watts would also have some words about the Freebirds. Any others?

Forgot to mention that the one about the JYD naturally has some as well.

Books that could potentially have something, based on their locations overlapping:

Jerry Jarrett

Jeannie Clark

Dundee, Lawler

Flair, Dusty

Austin 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Liam said:

What books have excerpts about the Fabulous Freebirds, either as a trio or as solo wrestlers?

Gary Hart's does; I'm assuming Bill Watts would also have some words about the Freebirds. Any others?

Forgot to mention that the one about the JYD naturally has some as well.

Wrestlecrap and Wrestlecrap Book of Lists more then likely does, but mostly for Badstreet (the character, not the street or the song)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Anyone know if the Nakamura book sold well? I was hoping it would and would lead to some other Japanese wrestling books being translated.

Not sure about it, but it would probably be a hard road since there's not a lot of Japanese stars who would matter to US fans to get them. Nakamura was different not just because of his book coming out, but because he's in WWE, and as such MEANS something Stateside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Anyone know if the Nakamura book sold well? I was hoping it would and would lead to some other Japanese wrestling books being translated.

I sure hope it did as it was a fantastic book.  If you haven't already I highly recommend picking it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2018 at 7:18 AM, Liam said:

What books have excerpts about the Fabulous Freebirds, either as a trio or as solo wrestlers?

Gary Hart's does; I'm assuming Bill Watts would also have some words about the Freebirds. Any others?

Forgot to mention that the one about the JYD naturally has some as well.

Gary Hart talked about Ric Flair kicking the asses of all three Freebirds and then buying them a beer afterwards. Apparently they were fucking with Flair in a bar and he invited them outside. Decked all three of them and then when the Birds staggered back into the bar, he bought them a round.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazon's traditional Black Friday/Prime Day coupon code: NOVBOOK18 for $5 off a $20+ book order.

I'm thinking of using it to get the Nitro book. 

One note: For some reason, using coupon codes seems to take away your "verified purchase" status if you review the book, if you care about such things. Made me look like an illicit bootlegger when I reviewed @Liam O'Rourke's Pillman book, even though I did purchase it legitimately from Amazon. Might've just been a glitch at the time though. Who knows? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2018 at 7:18 AM, cwoy2j said:

Gary Hart talked about Ric Flair kicking the asses of all three Freebirds and then buying them a beer afterwards. Apparently they were fucking with Flair in a bar and he invited them outside. Decked all three of them and then when the Birds staggered back into the bar, he bought them a round.

Reminded me of Flair talking about fighting Tenryu. He knew Jumbo could kick his ass, but Tenryu would have to prove he could. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2018 at 7:18 AM, cwoy2j said:

Gary Hart talked about Ric Flair kicking the asses of all three Freebirds and then buying them a beer afterwards. Apparently they were fucking with Flair in a bar and he invited them outside. Decked all three of them and then when the Birds staggered back into the bar, he bought them a round.

I’m the biggest Flair mark around....however, Hayes and Buddy I can buy, but GORDY?!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

I’m the biggest Flair mark around....however, Hayes and Buddy I can buy, but GORDY?!

 

When Flair broke into the business he was a burly boy and his drinking buddies were Dusty Rhodes, Dick Murdoch, and Ken Patera, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got in a few bar fights early on hanging out with that crew. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I read the Guy Evans Nitro book. It's a good read, despite a few baffling mistakes (Bruno was Larry's protege?!?) and definitely provides an interesting look inside the two big mergers above WCW. Otherwise, it's a familiar story. Not really a lot of shocking revelations or anything, but solid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...