DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

18 minutes ago, nate said:

I know this will sound crazy, but I'd probably sub out McGuinness for Homicide.

I don't think it does. I don't think Homicide gets enough credit for his part in early ROH. I loved the feuds with Steve Corino, Colt Cabana, the ROH/CZW feud, vs. Jim Cornette & co., and his world title chase. Homicide brought an air of unpredictability to ROH: the riot at the 1st anniversary show, the infamous chair riot at Ring of Homicide, Cage of Death at DBDIV, etc. His title reign was super short, but it was all about the chase. Homicide having a long title reign would have been really strange.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I'll go one better and say I've never liked Nigel as a wrestler.

I liked Nigel's earlier stuff. I liked the feud with Colt Cabana and the Soccer Riot match they had. I maintain that Nigel and Roderick Strong had the best Pure Title match at DBDIV. I hated Nigel's matches when they became non-stop rebound lariats.

34 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I'll go one better and say I've never liked Nigel as a wrestler.

He never did a ton for me either and I only cared about him as much as who he was wrestling.  There aren't any I can think of offhand but he could have a good match depending on who he was facing.

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Do they have the roster for a two hour show?

I'm sure they could bring in a few more NJPW midcarders for their regular talent to job to.  Like someone mentioned up thread, I catch the show pretty much every week but never have the urge to check out any of the ppvs because they always seem more intent on shoehorning in Japanese guys or Bullet Club shenanigans.  Years back I liked seeing Kenta and Marufuji show up because it felt special and they always had great matches but now it just seems redundant.

Nigel brought legitimacy to the Pure title, a belt and idea I thought was kinda goofy when it was introduced, and really made it his own unique thing. I think people unfairly malign him due to the damage he did to himself in shortening his career but I can honestly see an argument for or against Homicide taking his place

I am on board with whoever said making it through 1 hour of ROH every week seems like a chore. Just not a lot going on that interests me, and outside of Silas Young guest commentary, I don't have a lot to look forward to on these shows.

So with all this Nigel vs Homicide talk I went on Youtube to see if I could find a match between the two. I didn't, but I found Nigel's ROH debut match. August 8th, 2003 against Chet Jablonski. This was when Nigel was still wrestling in Ohio primarily for HWA. This was a fun little match. What's crazy to me is at the time this was far away from anything on WWE television. And Nowadays you would see a match like this on WWE television.

• Like 1

I'm not sure who I'd put on Mt. Rushmore with Joe, Danielson, and Punk.  You can make a good case for Nigel.  People are forgetting how good his Pure Title run was.  And Nigel was a fun worker back then.  I'm one of the people who liked Nigel a lot and became "All lariats, all the time."

Homicide had a lot of good runs and fans went nuts for his babyface turn and title chase in late 2006.  He may have been ROH's best heel during the early years.

Other than that... Briscoes, maybe?  You can make a case for Christopher Daniels.  He was the lead heel from day one and did a lot to get the Code of Honor over.  But he left ROH a little too early and you can probably make a better argument for Nigel or 'Cide. 

What about Aries? Generation Next filled the void once the TNA talent was taken off the shows after the Feinstein incident. Him and Bryan having that 75 minute match put alot of eyes on ROH. He is the one who ended Joe's reign. And He's the first two time ROH Champion. The man had runs on the top of the card in two different era's of the company. I'd say Aries. His ROH work gets overlooked because of who was also in the company at the same time he was. But he made a significant mark in ROH.

• Like 3

Also had a fantastic tag run with Roddy.  I completely forgot about him.  

Honestly, he probably could have done more in the company if not for backstage politics.  That was what supposedly ended his run.

I forgot about the tag run with Roddy. yeah he did alot in ROH. I'm glad he came back for that 6 man in Vegas in the Summer of '15 it was alike a proverbial mending of the fence between the two sides.

Speaking about burned bridges and backstage politics, what about Low-Ki? he was such a big part of the ROH early years. Hell him and Daniels match at APW's King of the Indies '01 pretty much laid the foundation for what would become Ring of Honor.

Also, Austin Aries getting old school heel heat:

Aries would be a really good pick as well. He was probably my favorite wrestler from '04-'08. There's so much quality in all the names discussed that you could make 2 ROH Mt. Rushmore's. Roderick Strong would probably be as deserving as Austin Aries.

It's pretty telling that a discussion about who would be on ROH's Mt. Rushmore is infinitely more interesting than what's currently going on in ROH.

7 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Not sure who you're referring to here?  Aries?

Daniels.  No lie, he's playing Dennis Hopper's character in the Waterworld stunt show...which is somehow still a thing in 2017.

5 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Chet the Jet. I once thought for sure he'd get called up for the WWE reboot of ECW.

As for ROH being a 2 hour show? Pass on that.

Probably said this before, but the same channel that has the 1 hour show on Saturdays in my area had World Class on Saturdays way back when. I just like that day (or night) and amount of time for a promotion's show, whether it was Smoky Mountain, ECW, Memphis, or others that have come and gone.

Edited to add: As for Mt. Rushmore, I thought that was a PWG faction.

As I haven't seen much of the first 5 years of ROH, I can't give a full assessment. So I'll just say that the 4 faces should feature at least one guy named Jay.

15 hours ago, Web Conn said:

So with all this Nigel vs Homicide talk I went on Youtube to see if I could find a match between the two. I didn't, but I found Nigel's ROH debut match. August 8th, 2003 against Chet Jablonski. This was when Nigel was still wrestling in Ohio primarily for HWA. This was a fun little match. What's crazy to me is at the time this was far away from anything on WWE television. And Nowadays you would see a match like this on WWE television.

Hey, that's me ring announcing. You can't see me because we didn't have a wireless microphone for that show.

• Like 5

On 5/9/2017 at 11:05 PM, mattdangerously said:

Delirious trying to book a two hour show seems like a really, really bad idea.

Delirious booking period turned out to be a really, really bad idea.

• Like 3

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎09 at 8:05 PM, mattdangerously said:

Delirious trying to book a two hour show seems like a really, really bad idea.

A two-hour show is easy if it's got 5-6 matches going 10-15 minutes. It's when you try to fill it with backstage angles involving 8 people cracking corny jokes in an office, guys poorly attempting to fight over a girl, 10-minute in-ring promos...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

A two-hour show is easy if it's got 5-6 matches going 10-15 minutes. It's when you try to fill it with backstage angles involving 8 people cracking corny jokes in an office, guys poorly attempting to fight over a girl, 10-minute in-ring promos...

You forgot masturbatory 20 minute promos by an owner or exec cutting the balls off the talent.