DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

Kelly Klein's ROH undefeated streak was at 525 days, as per the most recently YouTube posted WOH match.

Seems to me like an Asuka/Golbderg level win streak might be the sort of thing they could mention on their TV show once a while.

10 minutes ago, zev said:

Kelly Klein's ROH undefeated streak was at 525 days, as per the most recently YouTube posted WOH match.

I'm surprised that honor didn't go to Mandy Leon, for obvious reasons.

14 minutes ago, zev said:

Seems to me like an Asuka/Golbderg level win streak might be the sort of thing they could mention on their TV show once a while.

I've watched ROH's show almost every week for as long as it's been airing on the local WB station (2011-2012 or so) and have no idea who this person is, if that tells you anything.

32 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I've watched ROH's show almost every week for as long as it's been airing on the local WB station (2011-2012 or so) and have no idea who this person is, if that tells you anything.

Ok, you know how twice in the past year or so they had episodes with all women's matches?

Kelly's their Asuka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF746KQrjEQ&spfreload=10

2 hours ago, zev said:

Ok, you know how twice in the past year or so they had episodes with all women's matches?

Kelly's their Asuka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF746KQrjEQ&spfreload=10

I always skip those episodes.  (Not that I'm sexist, though.  I also skip any episode with a Marty Scurll main event.)

You sir are a Scrullist!!!!

In all actuality I like that they are showing the Women of Honor matches from SuperCard of Honor. But why not make it a special episode of your weekly show?

Maybe because the Women of Honor are not particularly good at professional wrestling, and you would be wasting your one hour of television you get every week?

Seriously, someone point me to a WOH match that they consider good (not including the luchadoras from WM weekend), and I will give them another chance, but at this point, everything I see is average at best. Like watching a Chris Sabin singles match.

• Like 2

You know who should be the one to take the title off of Daniels?  Hiromu Takahashi.  There's a natural storyline there already, after Takahashi's ROH run last year.  And he's having a pretty great year so far.

Final card for Toronto on Sunday

SIX MAN MAIN EVENT

“THE CLEANER” KENNY OMEGA & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE YOUNG BUCKS (MATT & NICK JACKSON) vs. ROH WORLD CHAMPION CHRISTOPHER DANIELS, KAZARIAN, & HIROSHI TANAHASHI

JAY LETHAL vs. KUSHIDA

“THE AMERICAN NIGHTMARE” CODY vs. “THE AERIAL ASSASIN” WILL OSPREAY

THE KINGDOM (MATT TAVEN & VINNY MARSEGLIA) vs. LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION TETSUYA NAITO & BUSHI)

NON-TITLE
HIROOKI GOTO vs. SHANE TAYLOR

CHAOS (GEDO & ROPPONGI VICE (BERETTA & ROCKY ROMERO)) vs. DALTON CASTLE & THE BOYS

ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPION BULLY RAY vs. PUNISHMENT MARTINEZ vs. HANGMAN PAGE

TRIPLE THREAT TAG TEAM MATCH
ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE BRISCOES (JAY & MARK) vs. LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (EVIL & SANADA) vs. SILAS YOUNG & BEER CITY BRUISER

THE REBELLION (CAPRICE COLEMAN & RHETT TITUS) vs. MOTOR CITY MACHINE GUNS (ALEX SHELLEY & CHRIS SABIN)

• Like 1

I know how appreciated hoss fights are on this board, Punishment Martinez and Beer City Bruiser had a pretty good one on this weeks TV. It was hard hitting but because of Punishments agility they added some high flying flavor to it be bring a different dynamic to the hoss fight. 

• Like 1

Silas Young on color commentary was a bonus on that BCB-Punishment match. The grumpy guy that hates just about everyone came as close as he could to proving he actually cared about his tag team partner while still maintaining his character.

By Mike Johnson on 2017-05-08 09:55:00
A number of entertainment and business trade journals are reporting that Sinclair Broadcast Group (the parent company of Ring of Honor Wrestling) is expected, possibly as soon as today, to announce a $4 billion acquisition of Tribune Media, which would bring Sinclair into several major markets, including New York City and Los Angeles.

Tribune currrently owns 14 FOX affiliates, 12 CW affiliates, 6 CBS affiliates, 3 ABC affiliates and 2 NBC affiliates.   In New York City, they own WPIX channel 11.  In Los Angeles, they own KTLA channel 5 and in Chicago, they own WGN TV.  

The purchase would also bring Sinclair Broadcasting stations in Philadelphia, Washington, DC, Virginia, Indianapolis, Seattle, Sacramento, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Des Moines, Denver, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis, Miami, Greensboro, Richmond, Des Moines, San Diego, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, St. Louis and more.

The purchase would also bring Sinclair ownership of WGN America, which is carried nationally on most major cable and satellite providers as well as a stake in The Travel Channel.   Tribune also owns digital channel Antenna TV as well as THIS TV.

One would expect the purchase would mean that ROH TV would begin airing on the new stations that Sinclair acquires as part of the sale or that the company finally returns to cable television with a weekly broadcast.  There has long been talk of ROH doing a two hour weekly cable broadcast if and when they had the proper forum.  WGN America (which broadcast WWE Superstars several years ago) may very well be that platform.

Sinclair currently has over the air stations in 39% of the United States and the purchase would bring that number up to 42%,

On 5/3/2017 at 11:25 PM, Dewar said:

Maybe because the Women of Honor are not particularly good at professional wrestling, and you would be wasting your one hour of television you get every week?

Seriously, someone point me to a WOH match that they consider good (not including the luchadoras from WM weekend), and I will give them another chance, but at this point, everything I see is average at best. Like watching a Chris Sabin singles match.

The last (only?) good Women of Honor match.

Dec 2016 and shocker neither is with the company

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The last (only?) good Women of Honor match.

Dec 2016 and shocker neither is with the company

Deonna was in the Kelly Klein match I linked to that they put up just last week. It was taped earlier this year.

I wasn't a fan of that match or Kelly Klein for that matter

And Deonna isn't technically under contract but yeah I guess you could say she is "with the company"

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

There has long been talk of ROH doing a two hour weekly cable broadcast if and when they had the proper forum.  WGN America (which broadcast WWE Superstars several years ago) may very well be that platform.

I almost never miss ROH TV (Yet never bother to track down the PPVs nor any of the individual matches...go figure!) but a two hour version of their current show would make Raw seem like a breezy 12 minute show.

Also, how did Martinez not die on that tope from this past week's show?!  That was nasty.

Interesting article about Christopher Daniels that he gave right before the War Of The Worlds tour started. If I find it again I'll link it (was reading it on my phone), but he says his career is pretty much measured in months right now.

He also got asked who the "Mount Rushmore" of ROH should be and he named Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe, CM Punk and Nigel McGuinness.

EDIT: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708439-christopher-daniels-talks-ring-of-honor-retirement-rohs-mount-rushmore