DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

21 hours ago, sabremike said:

This week's episode featured something so incredibly stupid that really pissed me off: a heel beat the crap out of the referee after a match. Unless you are doing a thing where the heel is going to be gone for a while and this leads to a "suspension" this is totally stupid idiotic booking. Referees should NEVER be physically abused unless you want to kill any shrewd of credibility your promotion has, especially when it's done as a throwaway with no repercussions like severe punishment in the storyline.

I didn't see this anywhere in this week's TV.  Did I miss something? Or was this a previous episode?

BTW, is Christopher Daniels constantly wearing eyeliner?  Or is that just how he looks?  Has this been going on a for a while? Or is it something I JUST noticed?

Young/BCB vs. Fish/Lethal was lots of fun.  I espcially enjoyed Fish and Lethal making Bruiser run back and forth across the ring, then Young refusing to tag in and just giving him a beer instead, which he later spits up all over ringside.

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Something you've just noticed.

I guess when he was hanging around the tag division, getting super-kicked it was easier to not notice.  Now that he's all over the shows as WC on the other hand...he's harder to miss.

Also, God help me, but I'm starting to like the Kingdom.  That Vinny/Vinnie whatever-his-last-name-is-because-I-can't-be-bothered-to-learn-it is kinda inspiring into how determined he is to mug and make faces and do weird things every single second he's on camera.  Like at times, I'm not sure which one is Matt Taven carrying the cane and which one is TK O'Ryan on crutches, they can really blend together, but I ALWAYS noticed Vinnie.

On 6/18/2017 at 8:35 PM, sabremike said:

This week's episode featured something so incredibly stupid that really pissed me off: a heel beat the crap out of the referee after a match. Unless you are doing a thing where the heel is going to be gone for a while and this leads to a "suspension" this is totally stupid idiotic booking. Referees should NEVER be physically abused unless you want to kill any shrewd of credibility your promotion has, especially when it's done as a throwaway with no repercussions like severe punishment in the storyline.

I didn't see the segment.  Who did this?

6 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I didn't see the segment.  Who did this?

The tattooed guy from the Kingdom just superkicked the ref after the match. The announcer saying he would get a fine (as opposed to a suspension) made it even worse.

The biggest title change of the year has occurred:

Spoiler

Spoiler

And kudos to those of you in the thread who called Cody Rhodes winning the World Title. It happened.

Corino signed with WWE as a trainer. Hadn't heard such a thing from Whitmer, isn't he one of the main trainers in the ROH dojo now?

Maybe BJ was just a fill in because Cabana's working in Australia this weekend and Bobby Fish went full sails ahead to greener pastures.

Spoiler

Oh and just as important news from tonight...The Rebellion lost their match, and as such has to disband. Babyfaces actually defeated a heel group for good in this company in 2017.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zev said:

Corino signed with WWE as a trainer. Hadn't heard such a thing from Whitmer, isn't he one of the main trainers in the ROH dojo now?

Maybe BJ was just a fill in because Cabana's working in Australia this weekend and Bobby Fish went full sails ahead to greener pastures.

Hide contents

Oh and just as important news from tonight...The Rebellion lost their match, and as such has to disband. Babyfaces actually defeated a heel group for good in this company in 2017.

Whitmer was rumored around the same time as Corino.  In fact, I figured that was the reason they dumped his team with Martinez so quickly.  And I thought ROH had re-signed Fish for another year...vaguely remember an announcement to that effect around Christmas

As for the spoiler

when they mentioned that match on ROH TV last week I remember thinking "Man I hope it ends in a double-pin..."

Cody is hardly a regular in New Japan.  Not counting the ROH shows over there, he's only had like 3 or 4 matches.

But, boy, was he NOT interested in selling last night.  Took a flat liner on the apron and a suplex through a table, and both times he was the first guy up.

Can I ask what people dislike about Cody? I think he's a perfectly capable wrestler I enjoy watching his matches. He's hot on the indies right now, I think he's the right choice. Well not the right choice the right choice would have been Dalton at SuperCard but Cody is the safe and a perfectly fine choice.

Cody is a Rhodes, yet has no charisma whatsoever. His work isn't bad, but isn't great either, and doesn't help him rise above his rampant vanillaness. He just looks so out of place in NJPW, like a kid trying to play basketball with adults. His Dominion win over Elgin was just a heartbreaker because NJPW fans love Elgin - who's done some great stuff there - and Cody's just so damn there.

• Like 1

Cody's hot because he works the occasional NJPW match and a lot of people seem to think he's some kind of superworker that WWE lost out on when he's basically proven he's coasting on his Daddy's name.  

It's a shame that RoH is prostrating themselves for NJPW.  I mean, NJPW is my favorite promotion, but why the hell if you're a promoter do you stick your main Belt on someone's that going to job to another promotions champ on International TV in 8 days?  Like, that does nothing for RoH than solidify they're behind NJPW even in the US.  

Ok fair enough I can see what you are saying.

Also BJ Whitmer did color commentary last night, Colt Cabana is touring Australia. Last time Whitmer was on ROH television was back in march and he was still doing the supernatural gimmick, he was chokeslammed through a table by Punishment Martinez after a match with War Machine. There has been no mention of Whitmer on ROH TV since then. To those who watched the show, was their any mention of this? And was Whoitmer still in his Kevin Sullivan early '80s Florida gimmick in the whit jumpsuit or was he just regular old BJ Whitmer? 

8 hours ago, jstout said:

Cody is a Rhodes, yet has no charisma whatsoever. 

8 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

he's basically proven he's coasting on his Daddy's name.  

Cody is pretty clearly the least of the Rhodes family, but I think y'all might have him confused with Ted Dibiase.  He's not this bad.  

36 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well he kind of has no choice in that one.  I assume that the WWE is still holding that "you can't use your name" thing over his head.

He was born Cody Runnels, not Cody Rhodes.  WWE owns the trademark to the name "Cody Rhodes".

10 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Cody's hot because he works the occasional NJPW match and a lot of people seem to think he's some kind of superworker that WWE lost out on when he's basically proven he's coasting on his Daddy's name.  

It's a shame that RoH is prostrating themselves for NJPW.  I mean, NJPW is my favorite promotion, but why the hell if you're a promoter do you stick your main Belt on someone's that going to job to another promotions champ on International TV in 8 days?  Like, that does nothing for RoH than solidify they're behind NJPW even in the US.  

Well they are.