DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

36 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I assume the Bucks will have a move called six star suplex or something by the weekend. 

Journalizer Suplex as the set up for a Six Star Frog Splash.

2 hours ago, jstout said:

I'm convinced Meltzer is trolling the Internet with that six-star rating. It's hilarious.

I'm not.  I truly believe he believes what he is saying.  This is the same guy who called Daniel Bryan's retirement speech "the greatest single segment in the history of modern pro wrestling" and literally compared it to Lou Gehrig's retirement speech.  If anything, it's a positive that he gets so excited about something he really should have been burnt out over for decades now. 

• Like 2

The shit just got done hitting the fan over him not giving The Revival-DIY five stars, with everybody saying it didn't get five because it didn't involve the Bucks and wasn't at the Tokyo Dome. So what does he do? Invents a whole new star for a match with the Bucks at ringside and at the Tokyo Dome. I'm sure he's sincere about his rating (and it was just a mind-blowingly fantastic match), but part of him has to be thinking "this should make their heads explode."

• Like 1

Dave doesn't work like that.

I am also all in on the 6 star rating. And if there was a 5 star match in NXT last year, it was Zayn/Nakamura and not DIY/Revival. Once it really got going, there were moments where they were literally running around to get in place for the next spot, it looked ridiculous and took me out of the match if only for a few moments. It was great, but I can completely understand somebody not saying it's perfect.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Is anyone else looking forward to Style Battle and FIP this weekend?  I am curious as to why the FIP is an "adults only" show. 

For FIP, I am. I have not yet subscribed to the new streaming network they are on, but as someone who had friends in FIP and was attending there Ybor shows fairly regularly before I moved out of Tampa, I'm pretty excited to see what they do.

Hopefully adults only doesn't mean ridiculous storylines, over-kill on blood and everyone yelling "fuck," during promos.

6 hours ago, zev said:

Journalizer Suplex as the set up for a Six Star Frog Splash.

Wouldn't that be the Jewish Frog Splash or Satanic Frog Splash, depending on how they rotate and whether or not they are circumcised?

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I still don't know why people get so wound up about one person's match rankings, but I'd say Omega/Okada was easily better than DIY/Revival.

Because everyone thinks they are right and it's fun to debate such things.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This I am purposely putting here because of what it could mean

The bag of money from New Haven must've arrived on his doorstep.

It was probably delivered by AJ Styles and Karl Anderson.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I assume the Bucks will have a move called six star suplex or something by the weekend. 

Spike Metzler Driver will be the set up for the Six Star Superkick Party.  It will be the most protected finisher yet.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The bag of money from New Haven must've arrived on his doorstep.

It was probably delivered by AJ Styles and Karl Anderson.

Did they seriously repeat the same mistake and not have main eventers locked up after their biggest show? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Did they seriously repeat the same mistake and not have main eventers locked up after their biggest show? 

Maybe so. 

Now I wonder if there were any politics behind Omega getting beat by Okada at WK10.

BC is a loose confederation more than a stable, IMO.  Omega / Bucks roll as The Elite and the GoD also kinda do their own thing.

The thing about Kenny is that I met the guy when he worked with Ibushi in DDT and he is even more Japanese than the average Japanese person. 

I don't think he'd be happy wrestling in North America unless McMahon put so much money on the table that he couldn't walk away from it.

Nak has no real rivals in NXT other than Joe and that is why I would bring Kenny in if it were my call..  Either that or I'd throw money at Ibushi and have him and Kenny work a CW program.  I am not sure reuniting him with former BC members on the roster is a good idea.

Doesn't New Japan always have contract negotiations on January?

I'm leaning heavily towards Kenny Omega just trolling everyone. Everything to keep people talking, the Young Bucks do the same thing all the time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Z said:

Doesn't New Japan always have contract negotiations on January?

I'm leaning heavily towards Kenny Omega just trolling everyone. Everything to keep people talking, the Young Bucks do the same thing all the time.

That too.  Contracts may be up and Kenny may be jonesing for a raise and a title run.

It may also be something as simple as a brief ROH tour.  I'd need a change of scenery for a bit after jobbing an epic like the title match with Rainmaker.

I don't think he's dumb enough to sign with TNA, especially when TNA is in the process of changing management and are probably thinking about contract restructuring, too.

Or:

Uchida pissed off Harada with his "I don't want help" shit which resulted in Suzuki coming back and throwing booking into minor upheaval so Omega has nothing to do for a cycle or two so he's gonna float around a bit until the BC/Suzuki-gun feud starts up.

• Like 1