DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Fallacy! said:

From what I recall he just did a short summary of the house show and wrote that match "deserved something like 6 stars" but I don't know if that counts as an official rating.

I don't think Dave does but the people who do those compilation lists tend to add them in (some will include a footnote with additional information)

20 minutes ago, Dewar said:
Spoiler

They should just change the name of Wrestle Kingdom to FactionMania next year. That said, I'm always happy to see Suzuki. 

This brings the tally up to six

CHAOS

Bullet Club

Los Ingobernables

Great Bash Heel (that's still a thing, right?) 

Team 2000

Suzuki-gun

Am I missing anyone? 

It'll be neat seeing what shape Flash is in these days...

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:
  Hide contents

They should just change the name of Wrestle Kingdom to FactionMania next year. That said, I'm always happy to see Suzuki. 

This brings the tally up to six

CHAOS

Bullet Club

Los Ingobernables

Great Bash Heel (that's still a thing, right?) 

Team 2000

Suzuki-gun

Am I missing anyone? 

It'll be neat seeing what shape Flash is in these days...

I think GBH is just an occasional tag team, unless they got new members and I missed it. Team 2000 was just a fun one-night return type deal. Still a lot of factions. CHAOS is the most useless one.

Spoiler

The problem is that there's already BC and Ingobernables de Japon, and now Suzuki-gun -- three whole heel factions. Is that really necessary? At the same time I like that Suzuki-gun are a legit invader heel faction. If they can force, say, CHAOS to work together with the Club for some uneasy partnerships, it might be interesting. 

God why am I trying to fantasy book Japanese wrestling? Curse you Gedo!

I feel like Bullet Club is probably going to split pretty soon, also.  Commentary was definitely pushing the "Who's really the leader?" angle pretty hard at WK.  Cody probably takes control of the main group and the Elite go babyface.

I wouldn't expect Omega to beat Miz, but I think he's proven a lot of people wrong with his stuff as a top guy in New Japan.  I know I for one didn't expect him to transition as seamlessly into that role and be as good as he has been.

52 minutes ago, EVA said:

I feel like Bullet Club is probably going to split pretty soon, also.  Commentary was definitely pushing the "Who's really the leader?" angle pretty hard at WK.  Cody probably takes control of the main group and the Elite go babyface.

I could be wildly misrembering his gear history, but wasn't Omega wearing his "face" tights in the tag today? His usual Bullet Club stuff is black. 

Random thought: Johnny Mundo is really fantastic at this point. He's been great as a tag before, but as a heel singles guy, he is pretty solid. His offense is passable at this point and has more impact, and he's really an awesome bumper, seller, stooge, and really works clusterfuck segments in particular really well. I usually hate run-in after run-in, but I enjoy those spots when he's involved in them in LU. I have enjoyed him immensely over the past year.

I also think that whatever acting classes that he's surely taken have worked out nicely because he will never be the greatest actor, but he doesn't look out of place sharing the screen with a character like Dario Cueto now, and he definitely did in earlier seasons of LU. 

• Like 1