DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Kind of a side thing, but I saw this on Reddit:

https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2016/12/science-discover-concussion-biomarker-diagnosis-management/

The groundbreaking research, to be published Dec. 22 in the journal Nature, Scientific Reports, has found a biological marker in the auditory system that could take the ambiguity and controversy out of diagnosing concussions and tracking recovery.

By observing research subjects’ brain activity as they were exposed to auditory stimuli, Kraus and her team discovered a distinct pattern in the auditory response of children who suffered concussions compared to children who had not.

Children who sustained concussions had on average a 35 percent smaller neural response to pitch, allowing the scientists to devise a reliable signature neural profile. As the children recovered from their head injuries, their ability to process pitch returned to normal.

“Making sense of sound requires the brain to perform some of the most computationally complex jobs it is capable of, which is why it is not surprising that a blow to the head would disrupt this delicate machinery,” Kraus said.  

The test apparently has detected concussions in 90% of the test group that had them, and didn't detect them in 95% of the group that didn't have them, which is not enough for a purely clinical test yet, but could at least help as a supplemental test.  Definitely something to keep an eye on. 

• Like 1

On Saturday, January 07, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Peck said:

You know what I miss in wrestling?  A babyface winning a title and the entire locker room of babyfaces emptying in to the ring to celebrate with the new champion. 

I liked that too. 

I thought it was kinda cool in late-era ECW when the locker-room would empty during big World Title main events to watch the finish from the aisleway but it was always a giveaway that the title was going to change hands because they never emptied to watch the final moments of a successful defence.  Also, it's kinda awkward when you get faces and heels standing side-by-side watching a match (Like when WWE does the same thing for major announcements) but the idea that the title was bigger than individual feuds was kind of a cool one.

23 hours ago, Matt788 said:

Don't know where to put this.

The full list of competitors for the WWE UK tournament is:

• Saxon Huxley

This guy sounds like he already has his WWE name!  "We have to change his name, what is he wrestling as currently?" "Saxon Huxley." "All right we'll call him...Fred....Fred Jones."

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, caley said:

(Like when WWE does the same thing for major announcements) 

They could kayfabe that by saying that anyone that interrupts a "McMahon Moment" Gets suspended indefinitely. And everyone behaves .

9 hours ago, DTTW said:

How? If the terms of a signed deal become public, what is there to negotiate?

Thought you meant during negotiations. 

23 hours ago, Matt788 said:

so he tried his hand wailing about Dunn and Zandig and Alice and Kenny King and Republicans and Greenfeild and others.

Do you really think he expected Kevin Dunn to respond? I also have not heard him mention Alice by name beyond explaining she was gone. 

Its his show and he is just saying how he feels and gets a good bit of listeners doing it. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, caley said:

I liked that too. 

I thought it was kinda cool in late-era ECW when the locker-room would empty during big World Title main events to watch the finish from the aisleway but it was always a giveaway that the title was going to change hands because they never emptied to watch the final moments of a successful defence.  Also, it's kinda awkward when you get faces and heels standing side-by-side watching a match (Like when WWE does the same thing for major announcements) but the idea that the title was bigger than individual feuds was kind of a cool one.

This guy sounds like he already has his WWE name!  "We have to change his name, what is he wrestling as currently?" "Saxon Huxley." "All right we'll call him...Fred....Fred Jones."

Anglo Orwell

• Like 2

2 hours ago, caley said:

Being fair though- didn't the "locker room empties during big main events to watch" also mostly happen when one half of the match or someone/team in the match had signed with WWF or WCW and this is their ECW swansong?

Considering ECW was one of the first really smark-heavy fanbases, that takes a lot of the problems away from the giveaway, since most of the crowd already knew "okay, this person just signed, so he's already leaving the company- meaning, therefore, we all know he's got to lose",

20 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Considering ECW was one of the first really smark-heavy fanbases....

I know there were "smart" fans in the NWA era, and the southern wrestlers were more "friendly" with the fans, but who else was there?

5 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Being fair though- didn't the "locker room empties during big main events to watch" also mostly happen when one half of the match or someone/team in the match had signed with WWF or WCW and this is their ECW swansong?

Considering ECW was one of the first really smark-heavy fanbases, that takes a lot of the problems away from the giveaway, since most of the crowd already knew "okay, this person just signed, so he's already leaving the company- meaning, therefore, we all know he's got to lose",

I didn't see a lot of the "guys leaving for WWE/WCW" era ECW but I'm talking about things like this.

where the wrestlers come out and watch the final moments of the match.  But the big giveaway is that they would only come out prior to a title change.  So when Awesome wrestled Tanaka in the rematch the next week and the wrestlers came out and the title changed hands again, but when Awesome defended his title against Spike Dudley about a month later and no one came out to watch the last bit of the match, you knew that Awesome was retaining.  It would be kind of a fun gimmick if they come out for both successful and unsuccessful  defences, or when something is really violent or unexpected.

Ah- a lot of the times I had seen it occur were things like Taz or Al Snow's final matches, where (presumably) the ECW crowd already knew that was their final match in ECW.

If that's the case, it's a little less of a problem if there's title changes, since you'd already know they're leaving on their back since they were gone.

I was reading Will Osperay's twitter and he was talking about someone being hated in the locker room and apparently he was talking about Ivaliesse. This was the first I have heard of it and someone else mentioned it was fairly well known. Was this the reason she was let go from WWE?

Pretty much.  They thought she was talented but had a huge ego.  I can see her in WWE not being well-liked because she doesn't strike me as the "Fake it 'til you make it" type that's needed for that environment.

I'm friendly with someone who shared a locker room with Ivaliesse a few years back.  He's someone that almost everyone would know and has been around 15+ years and he said "that bitch walked in the door and sat right down in the locker room, didn't say hello or shake hands with any of the boys.  10 years ago, I would have ripped her ass a new one, but I'm too old for that shit now." 

• Like 1

Did Rick Rude ever work babyface?  I can't remember his character ever turning babyface.  Rick Rood was a babyface-ish jobber in Memphis, but that barely counts.  WCW seemed to be teasing a babyface turn before he got injured, but obviously that never came to pass.

Who else in the past 30-40 years never turned in their career.  I can think of... Ricky Steamboat.. but I'm probably forgetting people.

BTW - on the Kenny Omega front

Meltzer said on last night's radio show that the people he knows in New Japan have told him that they believe Omega has indeed re-signed with New Japan. (The quote was something like "They believe Omega is with them")

But Dave said that he hasn't confirmed that and Omega's current deal ends 1/31 and that it would be really odd for Cena to be doing these posts without knowing something (like when he did AJ last year - he knew AJ was already locked for Rumble)

But again - nothing confirmed and since his deal doesn't end till the 31st - even if he decided to go to WWE, he isn't showing up at Rumble

I took it as Cena fucking with excitable nerds. Like this... 

tumblr_mkyowhCqVB1r2ahfqo1_500.gif

Dave also said if Omega is back with NJPW, he won't be back until March. 

I remember there being a bit of news in NJPW restructuring their deals after last january. What did they change? That they finish at the end of the month and guys can't debut at the rumble? 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2