DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown is A Clean Pin?

Dolfan in NYC

I love that Dean's advice to all the kids watching was: "Always try to talk your way out of trouble in a bar, but if you can't go right for the groin."

It reminded me of the time MISL (Major Indoor Soccer League) star Steve Pecher came to my school to give a talk and his speech was basically: "If you really love soccer you should probably give up on going to school and devote yourself to what you care about. You won't get really good if you're dividing your attention." and then the nuns shut his mic off and we all started cheering while he waved and posed.

Okay, it wasn't as good as that, but it was pretty good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

I love that Dean's advice to all the kids watching was: "Always try to talk your way out of trouble in a bar, but if you can't go right for the groin."

It reminded me of the time MISL (Major Indoor Soccer League) star Steve Pecher came to my school to give a talk and his speech was basically: "If you really love soccer you should probably give up on going to school and devote yourself to what you care about. You won't get really good if you're dividing your attention." and then the nuns shut his mic off and we all started cheering while he waved and posed.

Okay, it wasn't as good as that, but it was pretty good.

This is probably the best motivational speaker story I've ever heard.  We had one who came in, was an architect or something, talked shit about how all the houses in our area of town looked like boxes, then asked everyone if they wanted to see him dunk.  He grabbed a basketball, did manage to dunk it,  but wrecked his ankle on the way down and just layed on the floor and continued rambling.  The principal was not amused, the kids all loved him.

Remember Rhyno in ECW where he just swore and yelled "Gore" a lot?  When and how did he develop this perfect comedic timing and delivery, and then drop it all immediately when someone threatens his partner?  So good!

Also, I need closure on that anecdote Otunga was going to tell about Rikishi.  He started it twice, then never finished.  And what Adam Sandler movie is this that features Otunga and Rikishi?!

• Like 3

Awesome show once again. I haven't cared for Raw the past two weeks but SDL is killing it. Loved the opening contract signing and thought Alexa was absolutely on fire there... excellent mic work from her and Becky delivered the goods as well. Usos/Alpha was pretty much perfect, a match with some real solid story telling. Usos as heels are on fire already, loving their work and the change up to their look. Both teams were great there. Ziggler/Miz deliver another fantastic match, loved it again. The Zig Zag near fall had me on the edge of my seat as well, and Miz off the top in to Ziggler's dropkick was choice too. Finish ruled with Miz still finding a way to use the spray, didn't even see it coming.. great stuff and the crowd was super hot throughout the match. I feel bad for Ziggler's constant losing but I want Miz to have as long of a reign as possible. Wondering if they'll still do another rematch for No Mercy.

They had me looking forward to the women's tag but then it was 30 seconds and over. Still had some good story progression from all involved. I'm enjoying the Carmella/Nikki feud a lot. Carmella has become one of my favs here which I didn't expect. Ambrose/Cena was a good little main event with a surprise finish even if it seems Cena drops a lot more falls lately than in past times. I like Ambrose and am glad he's stayed in the main event mix. Ambrose/Styles should be another great main event next week as should the triple threat at No Mercy.

2 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Oh yeah that's right. Forgot about the Open match. It was just weird that they kept building it as the first time they ever fought.

I think the intention was "First time ever... on Smackdown Live", I know Otunga emphasized that at one point but not sure if it was always said that way.

1 hour ago, caley said:

Also, I need closure on that anecdote Otunga was going to tell about Rikishi.  He started it twice, then never finished.  And what Adam Sandler movie is this that features Otunga and Rikishi?!

That cracked me up, I think he actually said it three times. We may never find out what exactly Rikishi told Otunga about the Usos' attitude. I've enjoyed Otunga's enthusiasm on these shows lately.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, caley said:

I think I just heard him do it a third time near the end. The world needs to know, David! WHAT DID 'KISHI SAY!?

• Like 2

Everyone on Smackdown has a character, a feud and is killing it in every aspect. 

Alexa and Becky both know EXACTLY what they need to be and killed it in the contract signing.  Their match will probably be good also. 

Usos haven't worked heel in years but in a couple weeks they are already the fucking best at it whether it's in-ring, promos or attire.

Slater has been unbelievable but then so has Rhyno  This week:  "Don't even think about touching my crackers motherfucker!"  and then the Usos talk shit on Slater's family and Rhyno goes 0-100 in a second.  Awesome. 

The Miz and Dolph again.

Styles being the best in the world.

Yeah, the roster is thin but they are hungry as fuck and the booking is PERFECT.  It's such a great two hours that goes by super fast. I never feel like I'm bored. Every segment has a purpose and progresses a storyline.

• Like 5

Another good week for Smackdown. I echo the love for the Heel Usos. This turn was exactly what they needed. From the look to the promos to the attitude, they are killing it and you just root to see them get their asses beat lol

The Smackdown women are of course killing it again too. Enjoyed the Becky/Alexa promo, complete with cheap shot from the challenger before getting chased off. The PPV match should be good. Kinda sucks that we didn't get that Nattie/Carmella vs Naomi/Nikki tag but it helped progress the Nikki/Carmella feud, which I am really digging, so I'm not too mad. And cool to see Naomi get some mic time.

• Like 1

It's crazy how Cena was pinned cleanly by Ambrose with an AA counter, and then was an afterthought to the Ambrose/AJ stuff that happened after. Was Cena even shown at all after the match besides sitting in the aisle confused holding up three fingers saying "that was three?"

Cena's sort of where Shawn was during most of his comeback. They can throw him into three- or four-ways to add marquee value to a match or break up the monotony of a title feud. He won't get hurt by a loss, he'll still win a lot, and he won't make anyone. 

I'm assuming the Miz-Daniel Bryan angle will not lead to a match.... but, if there somehow is a match between them down the road, I don't want to see the Miz break out the Miz Lock.  That would be goodness, but Miz can go one better,  If Miz really wants to get under Daniel Bryan's skin, he needs to steal Bryan's most famous finisher,

You heard me right.  I want to see Miz submitting jobbers his version of Bryan's indy finisher.  The WWE debut of the Cattle Miz-tilation will indeed be.... awesome.

God. I remember that.

Hey. that's a Figure... No, it's not.. Maybe he's trying to go for an Indian Deathlo.... Hmm... No. it's not that either.. Does he even have a leverage point to make anything bend the wrong way?  If Dolph rolls over onto his belly, he's out of the hold.

Then I flashed back to Disco Inferno's gimmick where he kept forgetting how to lock in the Standing Figure Four, so he started bringing a diagram with him to the ring tucked in his tights.

God bless Ziggler for selling that garbage like he was being stung to death by fire ants.

Hot damn did I love Smackdown.  If you only saw Becky through just SD then you want to root for her.  But seeing her on NXT plus the crazy life she's lived (talked about on Jericho's podcast) just makes me root for her so much more.  They don't need to bring up stuff like her being a stewardess or in clown college, but the story's there if they need it for anything.  What an amazing woman.

Aside from that I echo all the love that everyone's said here.  Rhyno has this Silent Bob vibe going on where he'll only one thing but stay silent.  The switch to badass Rhyno when Usos came in was awesome.  There's a great dynamic to what Slater/Rhyno have, and I know they'll split but I kind of hope they don't for quite some time.  Also really loved Ambrose's Talkin Smack promo.  I don't know if there's legit tension or not but if not then he sure made me believe what he said about Cena.

• Like 1