DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XII

Dolfan in NYC

Fucking MiZ!

That match was gorgeous in every single way.  It was riveting and there wasn't a single tope.  There were moves that were loose as fuck but the storyline of the match was so compelling I didn't care that no one was bleeding hardway or losing teeth.

I don't even think there was a superkick.  The riskiest moment was the slingshot over the top rope.  It was all the little things Miz did to sell the drama of each moment.  It was literally a match out of 1979 right down to the Memphis heel manager finish.  And it worked, which means the best part is that the match itself was the proof of everything he said in that promo.

Everyone always talks about guys like Bryan giving clinics in the ring.  that was a clinic put on by Miz for Bryan.

1) Miz gives epic promo about how he's smart for working a safer style
2) Internet debates for a week whether it's even possible to work a match like that for today's crowds
3) Miz goes on PPV and gives a clinic on how to work exactly that style and keep everyone into it

Example: near the end when Dolph is out and Miz is nearly dead of exhaustion, Maryse quietly whispers to him to motivate him while he looks like he wants to quit.  She's telling him that this is for all those fuckers online and he just needs to do one more thing and she'll take care of the rest...it was glorious.  The moment was small and not overplayed.  It was earned because it was an exhausting match and he was a weak-heel who had already pushed beyond his limits.

Guys, Miz/Dolph was one of the best matches of the year.

Fuckiing checkmate.

And Dolph.  Dolph went with that style and sold like a king  and didn't go crazy with spots.  He bought into the match story and worked it in earnest.

• Like 11

I think the last few episodes of Smackdown have had more matches.

The women's match was decent and the right person went over.

Ziggler got a surprisingly good match out of Miz.  The finish was in keeping with Miz' chickenshit heel persona, but was the wrong finish for a ppv.  Hopefully Ziggler gets a rematch on Smackdown and wins.

I was really surprised the Usos didn't win the belts via some sort of shenanigans.  At least Heath can afford a Costco membership to keep his kids fed now.

This is probably the first time I've been upset about Randy Orton not being in a match.

AJ/Ambrose wasn't bad but I couldn't get into it.  Glad AJ won though.

Maybe, just maybe, this "each brand gets one PPV each month, but it's just 2 and a half hours" play could really be great for Smackdown, cause nothing on this show felt wasted.I think every single person on the card look better now then they did 3 hours ago. For what they had to work with, as Pinranesi said, that show was just about perfect.

• Like 1

GREAT SHOW!

AJ/Ambrose was the best Ambrose match in forever. People complained about all the finisher kickouts at SummerSlam and AJ flipped a switch and had a great match with zero finisher kickouts.

Slater/Rhyno just winning clean was pretty cool. It's okay to actually give people a happy ending. Jey Uso brought some good trash talk. The Usos are gonna be fun as heels.

Miz/Ziggler was excellent. Would have been match of the night if not for that pesky AJ Styles always having to show everyone up.

Becky did it! That match was both good and bad at times but it never completely fell off the fails and had the proper ending.

Kane/Bray was a fun brawl but I would have preferred Bray actually getting a win for once.

Corbin/Crews was even good.

• Like 2

That show massively overachieved.

I somehow enjoyed a long Miz/Ziggler match (mostly because of Miz spamming movez to troll Bryan and the crowd) and a Kane match here in 2016. 

Hey look, you build a guy as needing a win badly for money, and people respond! We need more bounties and cash prizes in 2016 WWE. 

1 minute ago, Charlie M. said:

GREAT SHOW!

Slater/Rhyno just winning clean was pretty cool. It's okay to actually give people a happy ending.

Hopefully just the first act of a long Tony Montana style tragedy.

I'm hoping that one year from now we'll have Heath Slater, alone in his LA mansion, floating all by himself in his infinity pool, drunk, wondering what went wrong and wishing he could just go back to the old trailer.

indsdfgd_dex.jpg

• Like 11

Aside from the Bray/Kane/Orton weirdness(and even that match was good), I thought this show overachieved. Slater-Rhyno as tag champs is probably going to be short lived, but it was a definite feel good moment. AJ Styles is a great heel. So glad they went that direction with him. Hell, I even enjoyed the heel Usos. 

• Like 1

Man when the Smackdown brand was developed we thought they were doomed but man this has been shockingly good.  Much better than RAW.   

Love the idea that AJ Styles beats Cena clean with no cheating at all at Summerslam but needed a nut shot to beat Ambrose.  I would like to think that put over Ambrose more 

Heath Slater winning the tag title was the greatest thing to happen to someone from West Virginia since the Cactus Bowl victory  :D.