DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling belts, designs and reigns.

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

This is known as the Hogan '86, before that you had the Hogan '85 and '84, and the Big Green. Yeah...I'm a bit of a belt nerd.

I don't see a lot of love for Big Green, but I adored that version of the title. Perhaps that comes from my affinity for the WBC titles. I always thought they kind of had a similar vibe. I would love to know if the story about it being dumped in the trash outside a venue is actually true. If it is, what a shame.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Is that from the 91 Bash?  I was there...what a shitshow. 

Thats the one after Flair left with the Gold Belt and they just slapped a plate on a old regional belt they had laying around

• Like 2

In my time with DOA Pro Wrestling, I had two belts made for the company.  (Technically, four, counting the DOA tag team championship, but those were recolored copies of the existing DOA heavyweight title.)

6gPDZEX.jpg

This is the Elite championship, designed and crafted by Top Rope Belts.  It is an original design, as I wanted something "different" and I definitely got it.  The title was held by Ethan HD, Quiz and Derek Drexl before being retired with the death of the Elite.  It currently sits in a prominent position on my desk at home, a reminder of a fantastic run.

The belt is very thin and light, and we didn't think those sideplates through, as it's a miracle nobody was ever impaled on those points.

A prototype was made of the belt on a red strap, which I eventually purchased off eBay (long story) and pushed into use as the ECCW Championship in British Columbia, which is still used to this day. 

HddaZVs.jpg

The DOA Pure Wrestling championship was crafted by Dave Millican as a modified version of the original NWA Pacific Northwest heavyweight championship.  It was originally supposed to be the Pacific Northwest Heritage championship, but wrestling politic bullshit forced the name change (something I'm STILL hot about almost five years later).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

HddaZVs.jpg

The DOA Pure Wrestling championship was crafted by Dave Millican as a modified version of the original NWA Pacific Northwest heavyweight championship.  It was originally supposed to be the Pacific Northwest Heritage championship, but wrestling politic bullshit forced the name change (something I'm STILL hot about almost five years later).

This is one awesome looking belt. 

• Like 5

I have never liked the Big Gold Belt. I'll admit that certain versions look good in certain photos, like this one:

k7uIGia.png

But under the lights, all that detail and filigree tends to get washed out, to the point that it looks like a big plate of gaudy golden puke:

ccdff56ceeae4873f3906d8c40f83e2968cb849b

As kid in the late '90s, I thought WCW's world title looked like it was trying way too hard to seem prestigious. The WWF's belt, with that nice blue and gold contrast, looked dignified in comparison. It solidified my sense of the WWF champion as the real world champion, and the WCW belt as a consolation prize for leathery has-beens like Hogan.

As for belts I do like, if you'll permit me to stretch the definition of "wrestling" for a moment, I love the King of Pancrase design:

pancrase-kop-belt.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

As far as WWF titles go, I was always partial to the Big Blue Belt they gave Austin after he won the championship at WM 14

wwe-belts-10.jpg

blue.JPG

That's known as the Block Big Eagle (as opposed to the regular Big Eagle that had the scratch logo.) The Block Big Eagle was also the one given to Arnold on Smackdown.

4 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Thats the one after Flair left with the Gold Belt and they just slapped a plate on a old regional belt they had laying around

Yup, that was the Western States Heritage Title. Plates were slapped over the words Western and renditions of the Western United States.

40 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

That's known as the Block Big Eagle (as opposed to the regular Big Eagle that had the scratch logo.) The Block Big Eagle was also the one given to Arnold on Smackdown.

Yup, that was the Western States Heritage Title. Plates were slapped over the words Western and renditions of the Western United States.

I thought it was a Tag Team Belt.

17 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I thought it was a Tag Team Belt.

The Tag Team belt comes into the story where, after Flair showed up on WWF TV with the Big Gold NWA Championship, WCW sent them a cease and desist on their copyrighted belt design. So they started having Flair come out with one of the Tag belts and blurring it out on telly.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AxB said:

The Tag Team belt comes into the story where, after Flair showed up on WWF TV with the Big Gold NWA Championship, WCW sent them a cease and desist on their copyrighted belt design. So they started having Flair come out with one of the Tag belts and blurring it out on telly.

They also, for some bizarre reason, used the Tag belt when Mr. Perfect beat Tito in the IC tournament finals: 

wbjqobu.jpg 

PPr3edV.jpg 

Sorry for the quality, it was the best looking clip I could find. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

HddaZVs.jpg

Great look. I don't get why wrestlers these days don't like the "Heritage" name on titles. I was originally toying with that name for the Big West Title (Okanagan Heritage), and everyone ridiculed it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

That belt is fucking stunning. Super excellent work with the colorway, it looks absolutely amazing. Isn't the NWA PNW title back now with the new Portland group?

Looks like Buddy Highway's BCW is recognizing it, but holy shit, if that's not a damnation of how far the NWA has fallen, I don't know what is.

16 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Great look. I don't get why wrestlers these days don't like the "Heritage" name on titles. I was originally toying with that name for the Big West Title (Okanagan Heritage), and everyone ridiculed it.

It WAS a great name and like I said, I'm still pissed about the name change.  C'est la vie.

(I actually spent fifteen minutes typing out the whole story, then deleted it as it's not really something meant for public knowledge.  It did feel good to get it all down for a brief time, though.)