DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling belts, designs and reigns.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

The Tag Team belt comes into the story where, after Flair showed up on WWF TV with the Big Gold NWA Championship, WCW sent them a cease and desist on their copyrighted belt design. So they started having Flair come out with one of the Tag belts and blurring it out on telly.

Actually, Flair came with the original Crumrine, WCW threatened to sue so WWF came up with the "Vegas Gold" belt. WCW wasn't happy, so they digitized it:

VegasBG.jpg

WCW still wasn't happy, so they decided to give Flair a Money Inc. style tag belt, with diamonds added to the front:

wZqLSLs.jpg

WCW still wasn't happy, so they finally just had Ric win the Winged Eagle to get it over with once and for all.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AxB said:

The Tag Team belt comes into the story where, after Flair showed up on WWF TV with the Big Gold NWA Championship, WCW sent them a cease and desist on their copyrighted belt design. So they started having Flair come out with one of the Tag belts and blurring it out on telly.

I was trying to find a pic of Flair on TV with the blurred tag belt but all I can find are pre-blur photos, which are also great:

a6vj-795912.jpg

EDIT: GAH, beaten to it so I'll just leave this here: nice article about the history of the big gold belt

Nelson Royal originally ordered the belt in late 1985/early 1986, on behalf of the NWA. The original concept artwork for the belt had the NWA letters featured prominently at the top. After hearing the quoted price, the NWA did chose not to purchase it. Nelson purchased it with no letters or logos and intended to use it for himself. Once Jim Crockett Jr. saw the completed belt, he loved it and bought it from Nelson.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I hadn't been exposed to much AWA before the network, and the more I've seen of Bockwinkle, the more this has quickly become one of my favourite belts

title2_crop_north.jpg?w=561&h=374&q=75

Just a classy and elegant without being overly flashy

You can't tell from the photo but that belt is ENORMOUS.

d56c40ae1d1d4a6fe7fc241835d6d93b.jpg

Sly isn't the biggest dude in the world but that's good for perspective. Now, when it looks big on Hansen...

tD21QSI.jpg

Of course Hansen didn't give two shits about the license plate considering he got pissed at Verne and ran it over with his truck

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lacelle said:

I have always loved the NWA TV Title in particular the alternate one with the red leather strap. 

image_zps0e3a5cxq.jpeg

I loved the 80s era TV title. Always liked how they incorporated red trim into the belt and thought it made it look really sharp.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Say what you want about the Triple Crown belts being retired, I thought they did a real good job of merging them. 

akebono.jpg

The old Lou Thesz NWA International Championship is one of the prettiest that ever existed (and my favorite of the Triple Crown). As much as I miss seeing the most badass wrestlers in the world draped in history, this belt does do it justice. Makes me want to shoot an email to Dave Millican for a price quote on this. 

TNA_World_Heavyweight_Championship.JPG

I have no idea why TNA quit using this.  Looks so much better than the one they replaced it with and unlike the current one it actually fit around the waist properly.

The new WWE belts look like ass.  The center plate is basically just a stencil.  They look so cheap and tacky.  The women's belts, well the SmackDown version at least, don't look too bad from a distance but the colored background is just the strap painted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

WWE belt designs before they settled on the current one. 

Most of them look something Guy Fieri would wear to a restaurant opening/monster truck show.

You are spot on with that description. Why is it so bad to have elegant looking belts that make being a champion seem like a huge deal?

1 hour ago, BEN! said:

TNA_World_Heavyweight_Championship.JPG

I have no idea why TNA quit using this.  Looks so much better than the one they replaced it with and unlike the current one it actually fit around the waist properly.

The new WWE belts look like ass.  The center plate is basically just a stencil.  They look so cheap and tacky.  The women's belts, well the SmackDown version at least, don't look too bad from a distance but the colored background is just the strap painted.

I don't know if it was on Belt Talk or one of their higher-ups on Reddit, but apparently this and the IWGP belt ideas were both rejected by WWE before they decided on the current World/Universal look.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Actually, Flair came with the original Crumrine, WCW threatened to sue so WWF came up with the "Vegas Gold" belt. WCW wasn't happy, so they digitized it:

VegasBG.jpg

WCW still wasn't happy, so they decided to give Flair a Money Inc. style tag belt, with diamonds added to the front:

I just love that the best known photo of this necessarily also features a glass of champagne, a margarita, and an evening be-gowned boob.

• Like 3